Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I want to race my Slash!! >

I want to race my Slash!!

I want to race my Slash!!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default I want to race my Slash!!

Hey guys. I got a 2wd slash from a friend yesterday and I am excited! I know I know its not the best platform to race on. But I mainly want to just have some fun. Well with that being said... what would you recommend that I upgrade? I am working on getting better electronics so I got that covered. I was thinking the first things I should get are some shocks. Cant I use shocks off of another truck? Also, are there any driveterain upgrades? I will be running the 13.5 class so keep that in mind. Thanks for all your help and ideas.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Shocks from other SC trucks should fit up pretty nicely. You're gonna hear a lot of "Traxxas sucks" in here, so get ready for that.

There is an STRC conversion for the Slash 2WD/Rustler. Basically use the conversion, a Rustler chassis and most of the front end and you've got a LCG Slash 2WD.

I myself have only had the 4x4 so I can't speak to many of the upgrades for the 2WD.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for info I will check that out... yea im prepared for the flame...
Old 08-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Tires, protrac kit, lcg chassis, tires, tuning, driving, tires, driving.
your pretty much covered
Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIZAO View Post
Thanks for info I will check that out... yea im prepared for the flame...
Dude as you said your hear to have fun, that's all that counts

check out the official Slash thread, there are a ton of upgrades ppl have done to it in there
Old 08-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Tech Addict

All I could find was the slash 4x4 thread.... I will look again...
Old 08-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

The slash is a good truck for starters. It's well planted and stable. I've driven mine for two years now, and only broken a carrier block and my right rear upright. The truck does have its limitations. My first suggested upgrade would be the shocks. The Pro-Line PowerStroke shocks where made for the slash, and a great upgrade.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I run a slash, LCG kit from STRC, the pro-trac kit, traxxas BIG bores, and have any tire for any type of track.... It is as fast as any other SC truck out there.
The LCG kit and the pro-trac are a must!!! Unless you plan on racing slash spec class.....
Old 08-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

Wow those proline shocks are quite pricey.... deff going to check out the bigbores..
Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIZAO View Post
Wow those proline shocks are quite pricey.... deff going to check out the bigbores..
Waaay too pricey, i bought the big bores on here for $30. Threw the losi springs to my liking on them. They work just as well....IMO
Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Upgrade your electronics and race it as is. If you are new to racing, you will be fairly happy with it. Save your money for a better platform when you begin to feel the need for it. An SC10 roller can be had for $150 or so and it is easy to spend that much or more to get your Slash to be "competitive". So if you are just in it for the fun and you are new to racing, run as is with better electrics and get a different chassis later and put your electronics in it.

Have fun.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is a good thread on socal-rc forum about a guy who races his mostly stock slash at SDRC raceway here in San Diego and regularly podiums and wins with it. His thread is called (SLASH-IN it...). He runs lap times as fast as any of the fast guys with the other chassis out there. He runs the correct tires for the track, a castle sidewinder SCT system, Tekno CVD's. He even uses the stock plastic shocks. His setup is posted on the first page.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Upgrade your driving. Spend your time at the track driving not surfing the web looking at parts and installing them. At your level your driving of the truck will be responsible for 95% of your finishing place.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Just upgrade the electronics and get yourself a good set of tires and drive it as is. When you get your driving better and smoother you can upgrade to a more race oriented truck and you'll be good to go.

The Slash is bashed entirely too much on this forum. It might not be the best race truck, but it isn't bad. It's very stable and forgiving. Only thing that I really hated about the Slash is that sometimes it's just really hard to get the nose back down off a jump.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I wouldn't spend any money on it. Buy the right tires for your track, and race it as is. Save the money you would of spent upgrading it to upgrade to a better truck, once you are ready to move up. You can get a used SC10 for pretty dang cheap, and it will drive circles around the slash with no upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.