Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
fast guys hanging around with fast guys/ slower guys hanging with slower guys >

fast guys hanging around with fast guys/ slower guys hanging with slower guys

fast guys hanging around with fast guys/ slower guys hanging with slower guys

Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i see alot of that at my local tracks but everyone is pretty cool at the tracks it doesnt matter whos faster than who because everyone knows where they stand its alwas been like that
Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
another way of saying this is that the 2wd buggy guys are the nerds of the RC community and are far more likely to commit group, ritualistic suicide if they get a bad turn marshal.
So do you drive a Slash? or are you big time and drive a SCTE? haha just pulling your chain
Old 08-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I feel bad because ever since I've gotten fast, I've had to leave my slow friends behind and move my pits next to the other fast guys. Maybe one day I can hang out with my slow friends again, but only if they get fast

But seriously, I think the reason the fast guys tend to hang with one another more often is simply because they've been doing it longer and have gotten to know each other through the years at the track. Fast guys tend to be there every week, where the slow guys usually show up once in a while. Easier to get to know people you see every week. I don't think the "fast guys" alienate the slower guys. Infact, at my track, I'd say they help out the slower guys pretty often. I think it's just about opening up conversation.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teambcw
So do you drive a Slash? or are you big time and drive a SCTE? haha just pulling your chain
and i was just pulling your chain. i have a FT B4 and watching the 2wd buggy guys, it is my opinion that they are, as a group, the most skilled racers. or in other words, it takes more skill to drive a buggy fast. believe me, i know this. i would never attempt to race my B4. i have fun with it at my buddy's indoor track, but i'm a lllllloooooonnng way from ever racing a buggy. i have nothing but respect for the skills those guys have.

they are nerds though. LOL. or at least the biggest nerds amongst the nerds. haha.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc5 man
yea i get what your saying as for me usally i just try to figure out myself what works good, and what doesnt because sure a faster guy can tell you do this do that but sometimes that doesnt work for your kind of driving.

i been racing r/c for about 8 years onroad and offroad .

to me the fast onroad guys tend to well keep to thier selfs but in offroad its not quite like that.

But yes its just for fun nobody is getting payed for it lol.
Oh boy,

8 years and still slow?? man you should change your hobby
Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

another way of saying this is that the 2wd buggy guys are the nerds of the RC community and are far more likely to commit group, ritualistic suicide if they get a bad turn marshal.
haha very true
Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by KWT-NITRO
Oh boy,

8 years and still slow?? man you should change your hobby

no i dont mean im slow just inbetween i dont race every weekend i wish i could .
Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

this is pretty funny but true from what i've seen in my short time racing. i think it might be more coincidental that the "we're cool cuz we're fast" explanation. i think most people hang around with others that they started with. so new guys hang with their buddies who are also new and the vets hang with the other vets who started when they did. and for the most part experience = faster.
I agree with this for the most part, I would also add age as being part of it, I tend to hang out with older folks being I'm in my 50's and been happily slow as long as I can remember, it's a hobby for me, nothing to take seriously, just fun hanging out, I like working on the cars more than driving them.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Fast guys for the most part drive buggies and talk about setups and tips, Slower guys drive shorts course for the most part and talk about how they just smashed the F^&* out of some dude.
At my local track, the two classes I run in are 1/8 buggy and 4wd SC. Which group do I fall into?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Prophet

Fast guys for the most part drive buggies and talk about setups and tips, Slower guys drive shorts course for the most part and talk about how they just smashed the F^&* out of some dude.
shoot i run 1/8 e truggy no short course for me if i have a choice.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

LMAO! eyes watering! LOL
Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

I think it might also have to do with the fact that the longer someone is in this hobby, the faster they are (in theory!). The guys that have been there for a long time likely know each other.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mellen_mpz
I think it might also have to do with the fact that the longer someone is in this hobby, the faster they are (in theory!). The guys that have been there for a long time likely know each other.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

TC,

I know what you speak of and agree with the reasons given by others.

I had to think about it a little and it's kind of been that way for as long as I have been in the hobby.

Some folks just like to stay off to the side and be by themselves or with the few people they know or like. That's fine. I've always tried to get to know as many people at the track as I can. You can meet people that can or will help you not only in RC, but can help you out in other parts of life. Some people can't walk up to people and talk to someone they don't know.

In that sence it is like High School, though at time it's more like Jr. High School. I've some of the most fun while in the pits on race day. Sometimes it's a discussion about setups, other times it's nothing but jokes, other times it's about what we do or a living when not at the track, and sometimes (once we get to know people) it's about the famlies/kids people have.

It takes some people more time to get to that point, if they want to. Just remember the common thread is the hobby and racing and from there it's up to you to find more common ground and thus the group you are around will become bigger and you might even end up being one of those fast guys that people always ask questions to.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It has to do with what people talk about also. The top drivers are going to talk about different things when it comes to driving and putting in fast lap times. I was just having a discussion somewhat about this the other day. My friend who still races Pro Downhill mountain bikes was talking about the course with a mid level rider. My friend had yet to ride the course and wonder if it was straight forward or if there was really anything to look out for. The mid level rider said to be very careful of the knuckle on a particular jump. If you hit it, it could take you out. My friend hit the jump and never saw a questionable knuckle. Later in a course walk he found the knuckle. He was landing 15' after the knuckle where the other rider was focused on just clearing it every time. This is just a sample of how different level drivers/riders will be concerned about different things when it comes to racing. This will lead you to hang out with those that are looking at the same concerns.

With being a faster driver the understanding of the cars is greater. Fast drivers are going to be discussing more intricate details about setup and line choices. The slower guys will be looking more at the basics. It is just the progression of any sport. The competitors will hang around those with similar skill levels. This is not a "problem" of the RC world. I would not say it is even something to be concerned over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.