TLR 22T Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
I finally got the time to finish up my side pods and the rest of the truck. I just need to paint the shell. But for right now I'm using my old XXX-T JConcepts body. It fits, just needed to drill new holes. There are a couple of other things I want to do to clean it up. But I can do those later, I just want to be able to get it on the track Friday night.

Mitten how did you make your lexan side pods, I noticed the 2 bodys have the cut out on the bottom, to me it looks like your have more material and I was just curious how you did your install looks very clean nice job!!!! any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Think this might be what you're looking for...

Originally Posted by RB5SP View Post
Mitten how did you make your lexan side pods, I noticed the 2 bodys have the cut out on the bottom, to me it looks like your have more material and I was just curious how you did your install looks very clean nice job!!!! any help would be appreciated.
I got to check out Truhe's car this past weekend. I really like the side pod, mud guard ext. things that he made. Unfortunately he didn't have a template to email me so I could copy them. So I came home and came up with my own and I think this is pretty close. Thought maybe some of you might want to give it a try for yourselves. I just used the corner of my desk and a steel ruler as a make shift break to bend the lexan. Hopefully you can just copy the image, print it out, and trace onto a piece of lexan. If you cut the under flap piece off the body you can use that as a guide as well. Then velcro the body to the ext.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Mine comes today or tomorrow
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slakr View Post
Think this might be what you're looking for...
Impressive... Great Job!! Woah
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

^What Slakr posted^ I don't know if you can print out the template that I posted and it be the right size. I could email you the jpeg file I use if that doesn't work. To fasten them to the mud guards I just used some 4-40 screws cut to length.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

^What Slakr posted^ I don't know if you can print out the template that I posted and it be the right size. I could email you the jpeg file I use if that doesn't work. To fasten them to the mud guards I just used some 4-40 screws cut to length.
what size drill bit did you use to make the holes
Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Just used a body reamer on the side pod, made so the screw slid through freely, then 3/32 into the mud guard. I had one person interested in buying a set. I really didn't think about making more to sell, but if anyone is intereted lmk. I can paint them black or leave them clear. $10 shipped. PM me if interested
Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Just used a body reamer on the side pod, made so the screw slid through freely, then 3/32 into the mud guard. I had one person interested in buying a set. I really didn't think about making more to sell, but if anyone is intereted lmk. I can paint them black or leave them clear. $10 shipped. PM me if interested
pm sent!!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

I am thinking would vecro be a good alternative. Easier to switch out from color to color, or if you get hung up on a pipe or something it could come off and you wouldnt lose as much time as having to be marshalled.

I think i would just velco mine to the gaurds. unless it doesnt stick too well.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kstoracing1 View Post
I am thinking would vecro be a good alternative. Easier to switch out from color to color, or if you get hung up on a pipe or something it could come off and you wouldnt lose as much time as having to be marshalled.

I think i would just velco mine to the gaurds. unless it doesnt stick too well.
That would be great so you wouldnt have to drill, unfortunately after getting hit a couple of times I'm sure its bound to loosen up or fall off completely, good idea though
Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SP View Post
That would be great so you wouldnt have to drill, unfortunately after getting hit a couple of times I'm sure its bound to loosen up or fall off completely, good idea though
Maybe TLR will come out with an optional extension. Maybe as a tuning option for additonal weight or something. Or someone just put one out that would be a tougher plastic.

But yeah, newbies or people who crash a lot probably would need to screw them on....lol. Hell, a good crash will rip it right off anyway. But if you already drilled the holes doesnt really matter now though....lol.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kstoracing1 View Post
Maybe TLR will come out with an optional extension. Maybe as a tuning option for additonal weight or something. Or someone just put one out that would be a tougher plastic.

But yeah, newbies or people who crash a lot probably would need to screw them on....lol. Hell, a good crash will rip it right off anyway. But if you already drilled the holes doesnt really matter now though....lol.
That would be great if TLR came out with extensions, most of the team guys are running the trucks with the extensions judging from what I've seen in the event pictures, it would be nice.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was very surprised to see the truck come with the same hard plastic "side pods" as the buggy. Figured they would screw into the chassis the same way but be wide enough to fill out the truck body.

If TLR doesn't have this out soon I'm sure it'll be available aftermarket in the near future.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

I really didn't think about making more to sell, but if anyone is intereted lmk. I can paint them black or leave them clear. $10 shipped. PM me if interested
Originally Posted by needknees View Post
I was very surprised to see the truck come with the same hard plastic "side pods" as the buggy. Figured they would screw into the chassis the same way but be wide enough to fill out the truck body.

If TLR doesn't have this out soon I'm sure it'll be available aftermarket in the near future.
They are.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by needknees View Post

Yeah, I was thinking that i would be able to velcro the body to the gaurds themselves like with the buggy. Maybe that would turn into a running change some extended gaurds or something of that nature. I like velcroing the body over the clips anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.