Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mamba Monster up in flames >

Mamba Monster up in flames

Mamba Monster up in flames

Old 07-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Mamba Monster up in flames

Is it common for an ESC to just burst into flames? Pulled the battery off the charger and waited about 5 minutes for some of the SCT folks to clear off the track. Turned on my transmitter/buggy and put it on the track. Went up on the drivers stand and took it easy going to the first corner and the short double. Car stopped an then "FIRE". This is a large indoor track so it wasn't a big deal but was still quite a scene. Didn't last but a second or two and it was over.

Receiver is OK, transponder is OK and my servo is OK. Don't know about the motor but the ESC is melted. Threw the battery in the salt water tub at the track so it's toast as well.

Several people were saying that they have seen this before and that it's not that uncommon for an ESC to burn up. What are you guys experience? Is this something you've seen before? Do you think my motor (2650) is toast?

I planned on getting a Tekin 1900kv after vacation but just wanted to run a bit tonight before we leave in the morning.

Oh yea, Battery was a Turnigy 4500 4s that about a month old and maybe had 4 or 5 cycles on it.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I had a MMM go up in flames as well as 2 EVXs out of my old E-maxx. When my MMM went up in flames it took out the battery but the motor was fine.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've smoked a few, you have to run out and unhook the battery as fast as possible, usually the power wires fall right off the esc, I've never lost a battery over it.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Wires melted off pretty quick but the bat was still hot. I trashed it but it was probably ok.

I think castle will replace it for 70 bucks so the damage might not be too bad.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Send it all back to Castle and let them sort it out. Castle has a very good customer service rep.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by IOP_Racer
I had a MMM go up in flames as well as 2 EVXs out of my old E-maxx. When my MMM went up in flames it took out the battery but the motor was fine.
Your motor should be fine. When you get a massive failure like that typically it's an internal short that is fed by the battery. If that kind of power was fed through your motor the wires to it whould have been crispy as well.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i just bought a tekin 1700 friday and put it in my 8ight e 2.0 and raced it sunday (31st) and first qualifier was fine then i put it on pit lane and was driving it off pit lane while walking to the drivers stand and pop it sounded like a fire cracker. but it just smoke a little i think that was a fluke deal hopefully, iv never had any issues with my mamba monster escs. but im definitely sticking with tekin even tho i had one bad experience. im going to call tekin and hopefully they will replace it. i recommend tekin even tho mine went out the first day but i heard tekin has the best customer service
Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

My first time out at a track with my newly built rc8e, my mmm went up in flame before 1 lap. Bye bye paint job Then had two more crap out on me. the one after that lasted over a year then died, 70$ later im still runing a mmm
Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default Connections

I have a MMP and my firsts atempts at soldering weren't goo but sufficent. I just realized i was drawing about 27 amps through my deans connection but they were getting warm after a race I replaces the set and made sure to do an excellent job soldering and I had a new monster. My rustler is now pulling wheelies down the front stretch through the wash board and where i used to have to break for a corner is now too late because the extra speed. Don't know if fautly components is what killed your but make sure you have good quality solering on your joints.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Go xerun or RX8. MUCH better bang for the buck
Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Regional Moderator

Yes, it is common. I do not know the total failure rate. As a result of my MMM and a MMP meltdowns, I no longer buy from Castle, Tekin for me!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

I lost an MMP last night but no fantastic meltdown like you got lol
Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Mamba Monster

Just got mine back from Castle a month ago. Raced 1 weekend then drove in the garage. Yesterday took it to the track put battery in turned it on then nothing, no pop, no smoke, no beeps, no lights, nothing. Changed batteries, nothing, removed on off switch and twisted wires together, nothing. Called castle replacing again under warranty.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

I just sent my Mamba Monster in to Castle also, was running around the track fine for about 10min and just stopped around a corner, still had steering but no throttle. Pulled it off the track and could smell electrical smoke from the ESC. Hope Castle repairs/replaces for me.