Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help Write RC History >

Help Write RC History

Help Write RC History

Old 07-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default Help Write RC History

You may or may not make RC history, but you can help write. Check out this work in progress on the history of our hobby. Again, it's a work in progress. Even more important, your input is needed. This will be used in RC Car Action, so please speak up and post your input on the article.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

great idea! Although I'd have to research dates, brushless and lipos shifted attention back the electric. The first brushless motor I saw in an RC car was an avoex in an insane speed run car, probably in the early 90's. I think i actually saw that in an rcca magazine. Obviously it took a long time after that to become mainstream though. I'm sure an entire book could be written on the topic, including roar and ifmar winners throughout the years and release dates of many significant vehicles. The Blackfoot, bruiser, and clod were all significant, as well as the Jrx, ultima, optima, dogfighter, cat, and many others. How much detail do you plan on having in the article?

By the way, I didn't know Jay Halsey won stock in 85. I didn't even know there was a stock. See, I learned something already!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
great idea!
Thank you very much. My goal is to have an article for RC Car Action that is essentially the work of the RC community.

Although I'd have to research dates, brushless and lipos shifted attention back the electric. The first brushless motor I saw in an RC car was an avoex in an insane speed run car, probably in the early 90's. I think i actually saw that in an rcca magazine. Obviously it took a long time after that to become mainstream though. I'm sure an entire book could be written on the topic, including roar and ifmar winners throughout the years and release dates of many significant vehicles. The Blackfoot, bruiser, and clod were all significant, as well as the Jrx, ultima, optima, dogfighter, cat, and many others. How much detail do you plan on having in the article?

By the way, I didn't know Jay Halsey won stock in 85. I didn't even know there was a stock. See, I learned something already!
I hope for it to be light on details or it will be too unwieldly. By that I mean each entry should be short and sweet.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-controlled_car
Old 07-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Thanks, Racecrafter. I've seen that, but it's not what I'm looking to do. In my opinion, that article is for people who have never heard of RC.

This article is designed to be a timeline and list of milestones in our hobby.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NHRCRACER
Thanks, Racecrafter. I've seen that, but it's not what I'm looking to do. In my opinion, that article is for people who have never heard of RC.

This article is designed to be a timeline and list of milestones in our hobby.
Good start...

Now you're going to make me research stuff but off the top of my head there should be mention of pan cars and the on-road oval scene of the late 80s to Mid 90s. The Velodrome use to be a huge event here in California with the insane speed run cars. Also sometime in the late 80s/early 90s you saw the ESC replace the manual speed control. Then there was the "cameo" that Jay Halsey did on the movie "The Dead Pool". The transition from "Timed" chargers to "Peak" chargers was a pretty big one and while it wasn't as big as the LiPo transition, moving from NiCd to NiMH was a pretty big deal too. And Dean's plugs in the early 80s were really the first viable option in plug technology as up to that point it was either Tamiya plugs or Direct Solder.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

give the newbies an evolution of the products we have today..

chargers~ simple time chargers to the high power smart charges of today, with the turbo thirty thrown in the middle.

radios~ twin stick/simple wheel radios of the day with little adjustment to modern 2.4ghz stuff today

batteries~ original nicds to the SCR/SCE cells to nimh to the modern lipo.

speed controls ~ tamiya 3 step/AE wiper style through brushed escs to brushless

^^^ same with motors..

This hobby moves so fast there are a ton of people who don't know what products even look like from just 5-10 years ago.....make sure you put in plenty of pics.

Not sure how you'll squeeze 30+ years of history into a magazine size article but that's your job
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robotech
Good start...

Now you're going to make me research stuff but off the top of my head there should be mention of pan cars and the on-road oval scene of the late 80s to Mid 90s. The Velodrome use to be a huge event here in California with the insane speed run cars. Also sometime in the late 80s/early 90s you saw the ESC replace the manual speed control. Then there was the "cameo" that Jay Halsey did on the movie "The Dead Pool". The transition from "Timed" chargers to "Peak" chargers was a pretty big one and while it wasn't as big as the LiPo transition, moving from NiCd to NiMH was a pretty big deal too. And Dean's plugs in the early 80s were really the first viable option in plug technology as up to that point it was either Tamiya plugs or Direct Solder.
I remember all of the above...
Dead Pool, the black vet was cool, along with the kid playing with an original RC10 on the street corner...heh both on the same channel. No 2.4 for them..
I remember reading a write up in RCCA about Jay and the movie..
Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812
I remember all of the above...
Dead Pool, the black vet was cool, along with the kid playing with an original RC10 on the street corner...heh both on the same channel. No 2.4 for them..
I remember reading a write up in RCCA about Jay and the movie..
Adding Dead Pool now.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Pistol grip transmitter history, how they came about after guys were grafting slot car controllers onto the early box wheel radios.

Speaking of slot cars, a lot of the early car RC companies and pioneers were slot car guys, perhaps worth a mention.

General class evolution history, 1/8 glow plug on road, 1/12 electric on road, 1/10 electric off road, etc.

Early days of ROAR, Siposs & Moody, etc. First national race in 1967:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Timmahhh

As I understand it that was essentially the 2wd class. What was called modified was the 4wd class. Jay & Gil Jr swapped 1-2 in the two classes I believe.

Jay also nabbed the first ROAR offroad nationals, an awesome pair of first evers!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Look at this thread on RC10talk.com

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13570
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Gotta put in the Cox/Kyosho Scorpion and how the RC10 took over then had competition from Kyosho again with the Ultima and the Losi JR buggy.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Kyosho Optima line of buggies would be a good addition.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think that the JRX2 certainly deserves mention. It changed the game that AE had owned for a couple of years and started a brand war that continues to this day. The result of that war is that offroad R/C cars began making improvements very rapidly.

The desire to earn that coveted IFMAR 2wd offroad title drove both companies to pour great effort into their R&D and racing programs and we the R/C consumers have continued to benefit to this day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.