Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

I plunked down the cash to try them out. One broke after 1 heat. He wants a picture to prove it before he sends me another. Not how i do things but i guess whatever works for him. I decided to not try them again and chock it up as a learning experience. I just did not want to or have the time to dissasemble shock and re assemble them just to take a pic. The 3 shocks that are still working have faster rebound and i did notice it helped on the washboard. But i gain most of my time in the corners.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Punt66 View Post
I plunked down the cash to try them out. One broke after 1 heat. He wants a picture to prove it before he sends me another. Not how i do things but i guess whatever works for him. I decided to not try them again and chock it up as a learning experience. I just did not want to or have the time to dissasemble shock and re assemble them just to take a pic. The 3 shocks that are still working have faster rebound and i did notice it helped on the washboard. But i gain most of my time in the corners.
HMMMM when did i say that i would not send one without a picture? all i asked you to do is take a picture so i could see how it broke so i can prevent it from happening again. you also told me that you already took the shock apart and saw the pieces ?????so did you just reinstall the broken piston? why would you not take a picture anyway. and then you told me you were just going to make your own??? out of approximately 100 sets of SC10 pistons you are the first to have broken so of course i want to see it. you also claimed there were no instructions or contact info when clearly on the first page of the website there is a tab with "INSTRUCTIONS" and at the bottom of that same page there is a contact email "[email protected]" and the card that came stapled to the bag has a scan code and website on it!! what else can i do?
if you broke the piston it is clearly because you did not install the factory washer on the bottom and that is probably why you will not send me a picture. Funny thing is i really dont care if thats how you did it or not i would have sent you one regardless.......

i tell you what, why dont you send all of them back including the broken one and i will give you a full refund.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wait...so you're saying you did not want to nor did you have time to disassemble the shock and re assemble them? dude, it takes all of 30 seconds to do that. Secondly, Marcus is a stand up guy, Third, I find it really hard that it broke, it's made from delrin and unless you majorly jammed it inside of your shock tube or beat it to a pulp while trying to assemble it then I don't understand, but hey, in the event that it did mysteriously break, I find it hard that Marcus would be a douche bag about replacing a part considering he stands by his product and people who have purchased it have sworn by it. If $20 hurts your bank then you're in the wrong hobby. Shit breaks, shit happens, don't cry about it, just get back on the track and do your thing, otherwise take up sodoku or some shit.

Last edited by SourDieselX; 11-21-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
thank you sir! He is just digging a deeper hole, im done!

if you approach me with BS and an attitude you can hang it up! since it is my show ultimately it is my decision on what I decide to do, you can bellyache all you want, start a hate thread and rest assured i will survive! i will not be bullied into getting what "you" want just because. those of you that know me personally can attest to the kind of person i am, i feel that i am a fair person and will help anyone that needs it, respect is the key. I am not the smartest person on the planet but i am pretty sharp! sorry for the rant just wanted to let some of you know what your dealing with!
OK MAN YOU FREAKING WIN!! ALL 30,000 VIEWERS AND 400 PISTON OWNERS ALL ARE WRONG! I AM STUPID, RETARDED DONT KNOW HOW TO RUN A MACHINE AND YOU ARE GOD!! IF YOU ARE SO FREAKING SMART THAN WHY ARE YOU THE ONLY ONE BELIEVING YOUR OWN BULLSHIT??? SEEMS TO ME THAT YOU ARE THE ONE THAT DOESNT UNDERSTAND PHYSICS I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS WHAT BILSTEIN SAYS, THE WEIGHT RATIO IS NOT THE SAME WITH RC AND 1:1. SO PLEASE STOP POLLUTING MY THREAD. SINCE YOU HAVE STARTED YOUR CRAP I HAVE RECIEVED 20+ pm'S FROM PEOPLE THAT ARE CLOWNING THE CRAP OUT OF YOU BUT THEY HAVE ENOUGH RESPECT TO KEEP IT FROM THIS THREAD. SO PLEASE JUST STOP, I AM ASKING YOU NICELY PLEASE STOP.....
HMMMM when did i say that i would not send one without a picture? all i asked you to do is take a picture so i could see how it broke so i can prevent it from happening again. you also told me that you already took the shock apart and saw the pieces ?????so did you just reinstall the broken piston? why would you not take a picture anyway. and then you told me you were just going to make your own??? out of approximately 100 sets of SC10 pistons you are the first to have broken so of course i want to see it. you also claimed there were no instructions or contact info when clearly on the first page of the website there is a tab with "INSTRUCTIONS" and at the bottom of that same page there is a contact email "[email protected]" and the card that came stapled to the bag has a scan code and website on it!! what else can i do?
if you broke the piston it is clearly because you did not install the factory washer on the bottom and that is probably why you will not send me a picture. Funny thing is i really dont care if thats how you did it or not i would have sent you one regardless.......

i tell you what, why dont you send all of them back including the broken one and i will give you a full refund.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

resently i purchased a set of v1 pistons from marcus and first off the upper pistons looked great while the lowers looked like a five year old made them with a dremel, i installed them anyway and mine also broke on the very first time out, and yes they were absolutely installed correctly. long story short i called marcus less than a week after receiving them and asked for a replacement for my pistons and he told he if i wanted them anytime soon i have to buy a set of v2's pistons because he had no v1's in stock (even though he makes them himself?) so i did purchase the v2's because i race and needed them asap but he also said he would replace my v1's when he got a chance. well i got the v2's and they were CLEARLY stronger in the exact place my v1's broke (totally different design in that area with much more surface area ) i told marcus since i already broke the v1's and the v2's have twice the material where my v1's broke i want him to replace my broken v1's with the stronger v2's not only did refuse he was EXTREMELY RUDE on the phone and told me this threw private message here on rctech.

"your like a cancer. its not hard for me at all, your funky 60.00 is not worth the PITA that you are and do me a favor and just not order them at all get some cardboard and make your own"

yea he's a real stand up guy i contacted marcus on 11/6/2011 about my broken pistons and to this date i have never received any replacement or any refund i would never ever recommend anybody do any kind of business with marcus he is the worst seller i've ever done business with stay away.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

ok here is the deal with you i am not going to bother pulling up the BS that you said via PM which is PRIVATE MESSAGE (meaning by law you cant subqoute it) but whatever. since you seem to also be an engineer lets do it like this V1 IS OFF OF THE SAME EXACT CAD THAT V2 WAS ONLY DIFFERENCE WAS HOLE SIZE AND TOP PISTON DIAMETER. As i also told you via PM just because i have my own machine doesnt mean i can just stop what i am doing in the middle of a production run and make a single piston. you said you wanted to make a race in three days and i told you that there is no way i can make replacements that fast but i have a new V2 set on the shelf that you can buy, no point in me breaking the set up because it will not fit the ones you already had. I pulled them and shipped them out PRIORITY on the same day!!!!!now you said fine thats ok i will just have two sets to play with and when you can send me the replacement pistons.

you also failed to mention that you said you wanted a completely new set of pistons instead of the replacements and then commenced to having a hissy fit because i said no?? why would i send you out a complete new set of pistons when you only need the uppers replaced? yes there was something wrong and they were out of tolerance and i admitted to that which is why i told you i would replace them. now i talked to you on friday and said i would send out a set this week, its monday and they are already done and were going out tomorrow (thats three days after our last discussion). and lets not forget that i offered numerous times to give you a full refund but you declined?? we can go on forever man, i got all day and plenty of time! dont know what your point of quoting me is, everyone here can already read
why dont you just start a new thread wouldnt it be easier?

and since you decided to go public, do you want your money back or still want the "piece of crap pistons, that are drilled by a five year old, that i will throw away when i get them"??
Old 11-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default Customer Service

I am not going to judge anyone's experience with Marcus but I think should tell you about my own...

FOR THE RECORD:

1) I've never met Marcus in person.
2) I've paid for everything I've bought from him.
3) I've bought a number of things from him over the last few months.
4) I've never had any quality issues with his stuff.

All of my correspondence with Marcus and our back and forth have been of the highest order. Also, I've never had anything but a completely professional experience with him.

He always gets back to me right away when I have a question or feedback. He's always shipped everything I buy from him quickly.

I'm sorry some of you have had a different experience. The Marcus I know isn't like that at all. Honestly, I find it hard to believe he has ever been like that with anyone.

I WOULD recommend doing business with him to anyone! In fact, I have been doing exactly that for a while now to everyone I know who races.

Keep up the good work Marcus. Don't let them get you down!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
Are you accounting ffor the internal gas pressure on that Bilstien shock?

I raced Dirt Late models for years, and ran some Bilstiens, as well as alot of other double adjustable, gas pressure shocks.

Now with RC cars, i can see why you would want to run less rebound. As long as you can keep the roll rate under control. FWD bite i would think the light rebound is very good, hence drag racing 90/10's.

I will be installing some, very interested to see how the work in RL, sometimes shock dyno's do not translate well to race track, been there done that.

Just my opinions, Krom.
No, I didn't account for any gas pressure. I just posted the force readings from the Bilstein website http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORgd.asp?Manf=All

You are right, 90/10 shocks would help with forward bite, but I don't think they would be very good for handling even for every day driving, I hope Manning chimes in with his experience with 90/10 shocks.

What type of Bilsteins did you have?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

i would like a full refund for the broken set. i will mail them out first thing in the morning to the address you sent me in pm.

and for your own information when you use quotation marks it helps if the person you are quoting actually said what your quoting because i never said
"piece of crap pistons, that are drilled by a five year old, that i will throw away when i get them"??
i said
Originally Posted by john stu View Post
resently i purchased a set of v1 pistons from marcus and first off the upper pistons looked great while the lowers looked like a five year old made them with a dremel,
see how that works? you actually said what i quoted i didnt just make it up like you did, do you understand how quotations work now?

and i'm sorry but the lower pistons do look awful, there not even round or any particular shape for that matter and the finish on the sides of the pistons where they will slide on the inside on the shock body is extremely rough they look poorly home made at best. its too bad it had to come to this i tried to resolve this with you threw pm for weeks now but after nothing being done about my situation (no replacements ever sent v1 or v2's or no refund) and no resolve in sight you left me know choice but to voice my experience here on the forum. i will get those broken pistons in the mail tomorrow am and i will expect a refund when you recieve them. good luck with you future sales hope they work out for you better next time.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Holy moly.......back to the tech please.

I did a bunch of poking around on the Bilstein site and sure enough, everything that did have a damping force listed is roughly 2-3x the force in rebound vs bump.

I really want a day at the track messing with shocks now......and try it both ways. Got some ideas to revisit my valved piston experiment that didn't work so well the first time around.

Thanks everyone for getting me to think about this stuff again.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Oso Negro View Post
I am not going to judge anyone's experience with Marcus but I think should tell you about my own...

FOR THE RECORD:

1) I've never met Marcus in person.
2) I've paid for everything I've bought from him.
3) I've bought a number of things from him over the last few months.
4) I've never had any quality issues with his stuff.

All of my correspondence with Marcus and our back and forth have been of the highest order. Also, I've never had anything but a completely professional experience with him.

He always gets back to me right away when I have a question or feedback. He's always shipped everything I buy from him quickly.

I'm sorry some of you have had a different experience. The Marcus I know isn't like that at all. Honestly, I find it hard to believe he has ever been like that with anyone.

I WOULD recommend doing business with him to anyone! In fact, I have been doing exactly that for a while now to everyone I know who races.

Keep up the good work Marcus. Don't let them get you down!

im happy for you that your experience with marcus was a good one he was also very nice to me and acted very professional.......until there was a problem then he turned very rude and totally unhelpful. and to me its how someone handles a situation when there is a problem that is the true test of a person and marcus failed that test miserably.

sorry guys i had to do it to get this resloved back to the thread

Last edited by john stu; 11-21-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

brb, buying a box of tissues for everyone crying. Christ, aren't you all adults or am I the only one here of age? You guys boo hoo so fucking much online but out on the track you're the exact ass clowns that throw temper-tantrums when shit goes wrong. Two negative feed backs out of countless hundred positive feed backs but the two negatives want to make the biggest scene possible. You remind me of the idiots on Wall St claiming that they're the 99% and yadda yadda. If you don't like a persons product, don't buy it, don't request new ones, don't buy upgraded ones and don't sit there and cry over $25 fucking dollars. If $25 breaks your bank then as I said in a previous post, go find another hobby. I've never had any bad dealings with Marcus and I've picked up just about every part from him, hell he's even worked on my truck on his own time and then some. Marcus has a well established repute with everyone locally and non-locally, but you will always have those few people who will stomp their feet and cry. Nothing is 100% fail proof, the first guy, Marcus asked for pictures so he could see where his product failed so that he could see if there was a design flaw, the second guy, Marcus offered to replace the broken part and you wanted to take it a step more and demand that Marcus send you the NEW UPGRADED part free of charge. Seriously guys, knock it off, as I told Marcus, you can't please everyone. Marcus busts his ass cranking out these parts, they work great, those of us who have his parts know they work great and stand by his stuff, Marcus spends countless hours of R&D at the tracks, so it's not like a monkey operating a dremel is making these parts. Again, if you don't like them, don't buy them, don't ask for upgraded ones and most of all, don't make a total ass out of yourself, which is exactly what these two guys are doing.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

oh and btw Jon

pistons broke first time out, no refund no replecement thanks for nothing
that's the comment you left on his feedback, obviously he has offered you V1 replacements, you requested an extra set of V2s at no extra charge, don't get greedy. your feedback is a blatant attempt at flaming on someone who has offered you both of the options you have declined at first, a replacement or a refund.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Manning, there are several sites that explain how to set the bump and rebound. Just google "setting bump rebound". Most of them say almost the same thing Race Car Vehicle Dynamics say though (they even paraphrase that book and give no credit!) Regardless, here is a site that gives a list of instructions http://www.bimmerhaus.com/tech/shocktuningTN.html

Like Fred Swain does, set the springs first, but then here some do it differently. Some instructions list to set rebound first and some like RCVD say to set bump first. I suggest that if you flip the pistons, to set bump first because you don't really want to drill out anything just yet. After bump is set, drive it around and see if it rolls right. If it rolls too slowly, you can drill out the rebound piston, but if it rolls too much, not really sure what you can do. You certainly would want heavier oil though, even if bump is already too stiff. Is there a way to drill out the bump a bit and go to a heavier oil to keep the bump coefficient about the same?

-Matt
Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SourDieselX View Post
oh and btw Jon

that's the comment you left on his feedback, obviously he has offered you V1 replacements, you requested an extra set of V2s at no extra charge, don't get greedy. your feedback is a blatant attempt at flaming on someone who has offered you both of the options you have declined at first, a replacement or a refund.
Clean up the language in post 837 or the moderators will lock the thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.