Old 10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

HELL yeah!!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default scte setup

Looks like previous posts were showing SCTE setups with roughly 30-weight oil in the front and 30-35 in the rear. Is this still about accurate for what people are having success with? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

yes still is the place to start
Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I just received my pistons for the AE V2 shocks and have a question. The fitment of these seems loose compared to what I'm used to. The shock opening measures .409" and stock piston is .396". The pistons I received measure .387". Is this normal? Thanks!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

yes it is normal, the oil has to have somewhere to escape on compression any tighter and the lower piston can break.

i am experimenting with making the floating piston tighter and lower piston looser but havent hit the track with them yet.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I had a hard time getting used to the "loose" pistons. I shimmed mine up so that the lower piston had not free play and it just didn't work right. So I just took the shims out.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Awesome. Thanks for the prompt response. I'm trying to get my shocks done for tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Tech Adept

Default LOSI 2stage pistons

marcus,
I just order the SC10 4x4 2stage pistons/dual slipper discs/drills so i can drill my stock blank sc10 4x4 pistons......

a quick question about the LOSI SCTE 4x 2 stage pistons,maybe they are for LOSI 8
-will they fit the LOSI SCT-XXX 2wd SC(STOCK)???
I don't think they will, but my friend wanted to know???

I see that u can make them custom, if he wants??

thx
Old 10-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default Pistons not quite fitting on FT SC10?

I assembled the pistons on my FT SC10 and checked the shock travel.

The shocks don't seem to be able to compress all the way. I suspect the piston is hitting the cap before it fully compress.

I installed them with the hollow part up... so it actually makes sense that they would be hitting the cap. But, unless I was reading the diagram wrong I'm pretty sure that's what the instructions called for.

It seems that the obvious solution would be to reverse the direction...but will that ruin the compression/rebound ratios that was designed into them or did I just build them wrong?
Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default sc 10 4x

got my pistons installed as per marcus started off with 22.5 rear and 27.5 front oil. The pistons fit perfect , fit and finish was 1st class,and well to say the least the truck was a different truck. Granted i had also installed his saddle pack mount and a clutch basket with his g discs and a carbon fibre chasis brace. This transformed my truck froma a twitchy like a tweaker handfull into the most planted smoothest predictable ride. I am not all that in my driving skills and really dont have enough experience in tuning to translate what i need to do to correct it , but I had a couple of the more knowledgeable fast guys at the track i run who also drive sc 10 4xs burn off a few laps on it. They were all blown away at how settled and predictable the car became gone was the twitchy feeling they had in their cars. They both took the truck off the track and ripped of the body to see what we were running.
I ended up mixing the oils a bit lighter even as the softer ride just improved the traction and the pistons handled the big hits just fine. No crazy bucking of the rear end through the rythem sections , no high speed death rolls in the sweepers, just a smooth predictable planted ride that suits my driving style just perfect. I am not the hard charger , mash the brakes spin and fishtail down the straights type of driver and prefer to be smoother and crry more speed in and out of the turns and this set up works for that

thanks marcus
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Oso Negro View Post
I assembled the pistons on my FT SC10 and checked the shock travel.

The shocks don't seem to be able to compress all the way. I suspect the piston is hitting the cap before it fully compress.

I installed them with the hollow part up... so it actually makes sense that they would be hitting the cap. But, unless I was reading the diagram wrong I'm pretty sure that's what the instructions called for.

It seems that the obvious solution would be to reverse the direction...but will that ruin the compression/rebound ratios that was designed into them or did I just build them wrong?
Here are pictures of what the assembly looks like. I measured how much the piston rises over the top of the shock body under full compression. I get 3.71mm.

I must be doing something wrong, right?

[ATTACH][ATTACH]2 stage pistons...Do they work?-piston3.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2 stage pistons...Do they work?-piston2.jpg   2 stage pistons...Do they work?-piston.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Champion

Here are pictures of what the assembly looks like. I measured how much the piston rises over the top of the shock body under full compression. I get 3.71mm.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 818706[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
judgin by your pix even a stock piston would stick out of the body. your shock shafts are too long, either get shorter shafts or put limiters between the shock body and eyelet.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
judgin by your pix even a stock piston would stick out of the body. your shock shafts are too long, either get shorter shafts or put limiters between the shock body and eyelet.
I'm going to open up one of the shocks that are on my truck to compare.

I'll let you know what I find.

Regardless, a limiter should get it done for the 1st test of the new shocks.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

after my experience over the weekend at the nats, i am going to begin testing some new combinations this weekend! V2 may be in the works. i know for sure that the SC1044 will now be 1.1/1.2 on the next batch. the Durango FAT's will be 4 hole instead of 6 and i am going to experiment with running the top piston tolerances tighter while the bottom looser or at least the same as they are now.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 818706[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Check it again with the bottom spring cup on the shaft

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.