Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nytryder View Post
Yes. I have found that on smoother indoor hardpack tracks with lots of tight turns, that heavier oil helps with the excessive body roll. Outdoors, the lighter weight oils work excellent. Like with single stage pistons, with the 2 stage pistons it is best to tune your shocks oil to each particular track for best performance.
I'll be running on a hard packed indoor track so thanks for that heads up.

Still, I should start testing with lighter weight than I've been using, right?

I've been running 30FT, 27.5 R.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Use the oil you have in there to start with. If it feels like the chassis is swaying excessively then go up. It will take some time and experimenting to get it just right. I was running 35wt front and 40wt rear oil in mine(1.2/1.3 front, 1.3/1.4 rear pistons in d8 shocks/ssclcg slash4x4) for my truck at WCRC and it was great. I went to 2 different outdoor tracks and it was too stiff and ended up with 30wt front and 32.5 rear. Went back to WCRC and the truck was hard to control till I put the heavier wt oil back in. I still don't know why it can work so good on one track and bad at another, but when it's set up right for each track individually, it's REAL good at both,...much better than single stage pistons.

EDIT...Also, not sure what chassis you're running, but don't go off my piston hole sizes when comparing your setup. My holes being larger in the rear are from my doing some prototype testing and what is being offered by rcshox now works better. I have been testing on another identically setup chassis like mine and have found that on the D8's,the 1.2/1.3 pistons in the rear (which is what rcshocx offers )with lighter oil works better than the bigger holes/heavier oil that are used in mine. Your results will vary.

Last edited by nytryder; 09-22-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nytryder View Post
Use the oil you have in there to start with. If it feels like the chassis is swaying excessively then go up. It will take some time and experimenting to get it just right. I was running 35wt front and 40wt rear oil in mine(1.2/1.3 front, 1.3/1.4 rear pistons in d8 shocks/ssclcg slash4x4) for my truck at WCRC and it was great. I went to 2 different outdoor tracks and it was too stiff and ended up with 30wt front and 32.5 rear. Went back to WCRC and the truck was hard to control till I put the heavier wt oil back in. I still don't know why it can work so good on one track and bad at another, but when it's set up right for each track individually, it's REAL good at both,...much better than single stage pistons.

EDIT...Also, not sure what chassis you're running, but don't go off my piston hole sizes when comparing your setup. My holes being larger in the rear are from my doing some prototype testing and what is being offered by rcshox now works better. I have been testing on another identically setup chassis like mine and have found that on the D8's,the 1.2/1.3 pistons in the rear (which is what rcshocx offers )with lighter oil works better than the bigger holes/heavier oil that are used in mine. Your results will vary.
I'm running a 2wd FT SC10 at WCRC and OCRC in So Cal. They are very similar tracks. WCRC has a bit more traction though. Both are indoor, Clay tracks and are extremely smooth.

This will be my starting point...

Rear shocks:
Inner hole on the tower
Inside hole on the arms.
Blue Springs
30wt
#2 piston

Front shocks:
Inner hole on tower
outer hole on arms
Silver springs
27.5wt
#2 piston

I came to this setup using the "Tuning with Camber links" thread. This truck has great balance (Thanks Fred!). It works well as is but i know there is more in this truck!

I'll keep it all the same for the first run with the new pistons.

This is going to take time to tune, though, because I don't want anyone at the track to see what I'm up to! Well, at least until I get it right...

Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

interesting testing today with my 1/8 scale buggy. so im sitting in my office trying to think of different things to try and i noticed that im getting really bad front tire wear so i start to think why is it so bad? and it hits me, because of the increased rear traction the gear dif send more power to the front and lights them up which slows down acceleration. so i went from 5k in the center to 10k and it really woke it up! in fact i think im going to go higher than that next week. it makes it much easier to jump and i may be crazy but it seems to give me more control in the air??? piston wise i drilled the front pistons out to 1.3/1.4 30wt and left the rear at 1.2/1.3 25wt. on this hardpac track i could go up to 27.5 rear and 32.5 and be perfect. i dropped 2 seconds today off my best time at this track (which wasnt a good time anyway!!)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Is there any guideline that we could use to tune these pistons?

For example,
if the buggy does this, drill out the rear rebound holes bigger.
if the buggy does that, increase the front shock oil.

or

creating more front pack by increasing shock oil will result in....

get what I'm saying? Kind of the same way Xrays have their tuning guides included with their kits.

Or is it not that simple?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
interesting testing today with my 1/8 scale buggy. so im sitting in my office trying to think of different things to try and i noticed that im getting really bad front tire wear so i start to think why is it so bad? and it hits me, because of the increased rear traction the gear dif send more power to the front and lights them up which slows down acceleration. so i went from 5k in the center to 10k and it really woke it up! in fact i think im going to go higher than that next week. it makes it much easier to jump and i may be crazy but it seems to give me more control in the air??? piston wise i drilled the front pistons out to 1.3/1.4 30wt and left the rear at 1.2/1.3 25wt. on this hardpac track i could go up to 27.5 rear and 32.5 and be perfect. i dropped 2 seconds today off my best time at this track (which wasnt a good time anyway!!)
Wow! 5k? 7 to 10 without your pistons...... I run 50k in the top speed on road ex1r car and sometimes I think that isn't enough....But Castle proto on 6s, what would you expect?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pakk View Post
Is there any guideline that we could use to tune these pistons?

For example,
if the buggy does this, drill out the rear rebound holes bigger.
if the buggy does that, increase the front shock oil.

or

creating more front pack by increasing shock oil will result in....

get what I'm saying? Kind of the same way Xrays have their tuning guides included with their kits.

Or is it not that simple?
http://www.rcshox.com/piston-set-ups/

thats all i have been able to do for now
Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
What oils exactly you are running in diffs? I was at 7-7-4 in my Caster EX1.5R and do not like it at all. I am going to try 7-10-4 next time or even 10-10-4. Ride height 28 front, 30 rear. Mugen springs front 75/8.25, rear 86/8.5.

Your pistons works quiet nice. I used stock holes and 27.5wt Losi oil front and rear. Buggy jumps really well! But on the bumps there was some problems. What droop you set (or what length your shocks have)? Also next time I will try Caster springs and other Mugen springs.

What weight your race ready buggy is?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

I need them ofr my losi 8ight buggy 2.0 please
Old 09-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by audriusv View Post
What oils exactly you are running in diffs? I was at 7-7-4 in my Caster EX1.5R and do not like it at all. I am going to try 7-10-4 next time or even 10-10-4. Ride height 28 front, 30 rear. Mugen springs front 75/8.25, rear 86/8.5.

Your pistons works quiet nice. I used stock holes and 27.5wt Losi oil front and rear. Buggy jumps really well! But on the bumps there was some problems. What droop you set (or what length your shocks have)? Also next time I will try Caster springs and other Mugen springs.

What weight your race ready buggy is?

i am now running 7/10/5 but im going to try 15 in the center soon. I dont remember where i set the droop but there isnt much in the rear, it allows it to"drift" better and not grab as much which was the problem i was having , I couldnt get it to rotate smoothly, it seemed to fight F and R traction if that makes sense. i have no idea what the weight is. What are your shock positions?

Pirape the Caster pistons fit right on the losi 8! fire away, i have them in stock!

Last edited by MantisWorx; 09-26-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

What is a good starting setup for the cougar big bores? I am running losi 35w/4.0lb fronts and losi 30w/3.5lb rears. Do I also have to go up in springs also?
Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
What is a good starting setup for the cougar big bores? I am running losi 35w/4.0lb fronts and losi 30w/3.5lb rears. Do I also have to go up in springs also?

you have the one and only set in existence, so nobody knows but in most situations 30/20 is a good starting point. leave the springs soft as you can get away with. One thing i need to tell you is that for some strange reason the schumachers stock pistons are thinner than everybody else by about .5mm. so your bottom plates is thinner than i like to have them but had no choice so dont get carried away with going to thick on oil and try not to jump off any house's!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

What oil and springs should I start out with using these pistons for my losi scte? Plan on racing @ RC Race Barn in Jeff City. It looks like a hard packed, pretty large indoor track.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

mantisworx-i let you know that i did put on post about rc8t-ce truggy shock body. let me know .
Old 09-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by taztal3 View Post
mantisworx-i let you know that i did put on post about rc8t-ce truggy shock body. let me know .
What?

gawith0413 Stock springs and 30/30, lay the shocks down if its too aggresive for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.