Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

We will be there between noon and 2 depending on when we decide to leave.

Judging by your results and lap times you and your truck are improving. Ever notice how the really fast guys dont look fast at all? Keep that in mind. they are not over-rotating the car and they run the fast "lines" no matter what obstacle is in the way. Time does not lie, if your lap times are faster and you did more laps in qualifiying you have made an improvement. not to say that there cannot be more improvement because usually when you feel like you have effortlessly ran faster, you think that there is more and thats normally the case. Everyone drives a different way so naturally you need to set the car up to fit your style but. goto the extremes and see what happens. if you think the front is too "edgy" take off the rear sway bar, or put a thicker one in the front. to me if you have to put thicker oil in to slow the front down you lose some of the shock abilities but at time its a quick fix to see if that is what you need. I think sway bars is the next tool to play with and is my next project on tuning,makes sense to me
Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chucko
I had the same problem with the ass end trying to swap when coasting or breaking. then another driver told me to coast a little sooner to that turn and let the car settle...I did. and it helped. I also throttled it sooner and it corrected the issue,... driving with these shocks is a new learning curve for me,.. but its like,. get aggressive and just don't be afraid of hammering it and it works better then trying to feather it .. also went to a heavier shock in front and that helped me... you could try that and see. JMO. maybe a little heaver oil in front to stop the transfer.
with out letting the world knowing your set ups and letting the cat out of the bag try spring thing. that could help... did you do the drop test with out oils to get the car balanced ? I don't know everything. but sometimes someone suggestions help. I hope this helps if not let me know. I am willing to learn
and love to share. good luck
this happens aloto in SC trucks, take some droop away from the front.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've read though this entire thread and I am going to be trying a set for sure.

I noticed a common comment, that the body roll is way different especially in turns.
Has anyone tried changing their roll centers with camber links to eliminate some of the roll without changing shock springs??
Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default fitting?

hi sorry if it sounds stupid.. but the thinner pc is suppose to be at the bottom right? but then how to get the top eclip in? as the top pc is thicker, and i cant seems to get the eclip in.. or am i doing it the wrong way round?
its for the Losi 22 btw

thanx
Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiatw73
hi sorry if it sounds stupid.. but the thinner pc is suppose to be at the bottom right? but then how to get the top eclip in? as the top pc is thicker, and i cant seems to get the eclip in.. or am i doing it the wrong way round?
its for the Losi 22 btw

thanx
Just put mine in a 22 yesterday. I found that the thicker piston (yellow dot for TLR22) will snap around the top e-clip. So, basically the order would be to put on the bottom e-clip, then blue/thinner piston, then top e-clip, then gently squeeze the top piston over the e-clip. Make sure the holes are lined up and that one side of the piston center is already hooked under the e-clip so that you're only snapping the piston over the other 1/2 of the clip and not trying to push the piston straight down over the entire clip because then it flat out will not fit (as you found out).

Marcus, I know these things aren't rocket surgery to put together, but even just a simple diagram on your site would probably go a long way in showing people how these things go together. After 45 minutes of misguided fitment attempts and searching this forum for instructions did I only accidentally figure out that the top piston will snap over the e-clip. And I still don't know if I've done it correctly or not. Just a friendly suggestion
Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dog Runner
Just put mine in a 22 yesterday. I found that the thicker piston (yellow dot for TLR22) will snap around the top e-clip. So, basically the order would be to put on the bottom e-clip, then blue/thinner piston, then top e-clip, then gently squeeze the top piston over the e-clip. Make sure the holes are lined up and that one side of the piston center is already hooked under the e-clip so that you're only snapping the piston over the other 1/2 of the clip and not trying to push the piston straight down over the entire clip because then it flat out will not fit (as you found out).

Marcus, I know these things aren't rocket surgery to put together, but even just a simple diagram on your site would probably go a long way in showing people how these things go together. After 45 minutes of misguided fitment attempts and searching this forum for instructions did I only accidentally figure out that the top piston will snap over the e-clip. And I still don't know if I've done it correctly or not. Just a friendly suggestion
that was my plan for this week but since teh machine failure i have been crazy trying to catch back up and get these orders out. i will take care of that on sunday.

install the pistons from the bottom.
take the shaft completely out of the shock
remove the bottom e clip
take off old piston
replace with new pistons (thicker piston goes up top)
slide on the bottom e clip
re install shaft into the body
and thats it!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
I've read though this entire thread and I am going to be trying a set for sure.

I noticed a common comment, that the body roll is way different especially in turns.
Has anyone tried changing their roll centers with camber links to eliminate some of the roll without changing shock springs??
excellent suggestion.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
install the pistons from the bottom.
take the shaft completely out of the shock
remove the bottom e clip
take off old piston
replace with new pistons (thicker piston goes up top)
slide on the bottom e clip
re install shaft into the body
and thats it!
Maybe I'm not understanding the above info correctly, but the thinner/bottom piston doesn't fit over the shock shaft itself to slide it up from the bottom (that's what I originally tried). They only fit over the top of the shaft where it's a smaller diameter.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Maybe I'm not understanding the above info correctly, but the thinner/bottom piston doesn't fit over the shock shaft itself to slide it up from the bottom (that's what I originally tried). They only fit over the top of the shaft where it's a smaller diameter.
well now i am confused!! post a pic of that shaft please, doesnt it have two eclips? this is the first i have heard of this issue????
Old 09-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

excellent suggestion.
I run high roll centers front and back on my scte....I haven't noticed any excess roll after installing pistons.

I swear this truck is so stable now it's hard to flip it over
Old 09-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Maybe try this. Take both clips and piston off, slide on the washer, then thin, then thick, then washer, then top clip, then bottom clip. Just a guess. Good luck.

Maybe the thin needs some attention with a reamer.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Buzz3
Maybe try this. Take both clips and piston off, slide on the washer, then thin, then thick, then washer, then top clip, then bottom clip. Just a guess. Good luck.

Maybe the thin needs some attention with a reamer.
the TLR and Kyosho use e clips so there are no washers needed. i have sent ALOT of these pistons out and have no heard of this issue until now????
Old 09-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Why does this type of piston need to be run withemulsion style shocks. Do they not work with bladders? I'm not understanding why. Can anyone explain?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

well now i am confused!! post a pic of that shaft please, doesnt it have two eclips? this is the first i have heard of this issue????
I'll probably be redoing the shocks this weekend and will put up pictures.

Hopefully this isn't coming across as negative. Just wanted to mention it in case others are having the same issues so we can all benefit.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
Why does this type of piston need to be run withemulsion style shocks. Do they not work with bladders? I'm not understanding why. Can anyone explain?
It doesn't....I run bladders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.