Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
There is a thread called "Tune with camber links" on rctech- find it and read through it. Fred details every aspect of vehicle tuning in a very easy to understand fashion. Its a long read but is definitely worth the time.
Yeah, I just wasn't sure how it applied to what we're dealing with on these pistons.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The immediate thing I have noticed is that with these pistons an easy to drive truck just got easier. It is far more stable and the twitch is gone. Your able to stay on power longer in the turn.
Couple these with the right overall setup and you are good to go. Problem is I have nothing to change now.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

lots of good answers guy , thanx. i had a machine failure today and have been fighting it all day. i keep losing either X,Y,or Z axis randomly, scrapped everything i made today We had a wierd power surge about a week ago and it messed up my spindle motor so whenever it would go under a load it would randomly trip an axis. think i got it solved so now its back on the grind!

to answer some of your questions , lets keep the subject on pistons as much as possible, Fred had a million page thread on spring tuning and such. It is a REALLY good thread probably one of the best on this forum. In my personal experience i have not made any changes to the springs , not that it doesnt need to happen but i just havent had enough track time to mess with that yet, i do think that a dual rate progressive spring setup would be superior now that we can control the damping

a good point that was made is that you guys just keep posting your results and setups, i promise this will evolve into some really good information. its only been a few weeks and i dont think too many of you have drilled any of the holes bigger yet. i can tell you now that there is another level once you start playing with the rebound holes more be it auxillary holes, partial holes or all of them. Pack is pack, once you have figured out its not going to change, at that point you start tuning with the rebound, that is where the performance comes in, DONT BE SKEERED!! Most of the sets i sent out have the same hole sizes F/R, it will work obviously but it is not optimal, the rear needs to be larger on both even more so on the rebound. i am making a trip to san antonio in two weeks to play and help the locals set the cars up with the pistons after that we will have even more info. Im sponsered by Caster so i have them down to perfection almost. i have to depend on you guys for feedback to narrow the setups down on the other vehicles, please start posting some vids it will help

march on fellows, march on!!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys
I'm new to this forum and SC racing as well. I have been competing hardcore in rock crawling for over 4 yrs so some of my knowledge won't apply here, if any. I am local to the bay area CA so I guess my local track is NOR-CAL RC in union city. That is where I would like to set up my truck for. I bought a Losi SCTe in April (version 1) and have slowly taken my time hunting for parts and building my truck so it is competitive. I have replaced my chassis with a BCE, replaced my shock towers and hinge pins with CF (updated SNF hinge pins) and replaced all diff parts (chris kits). I also replaced the hinge pins with TI.
My motor is a 1410 and speedo is A MMP. My batt is a 5800 70c. I'm running a JR 8411 SA servo and it's all controlled by my DX3R. No problems yet. All other items on truck are stock including my shocks.
Here is my question:
I purchased 2 stage pistons from rcshox and the spring tuner kit from Losi, as well as odd shock oil kits to complete my current stash ( 22.5, 27.5 ect).
I'm not sure where to start since my truck is lightened and I'm unsure of it's actual weight. I will gladly post up tuner/test results when I get some action on this truck. All you SCTe guys I'm asking for advice. Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by the kil View Post
Hi guys
I'm new to this forum and SC racing as well. I have been competing hardcore in rock crawling for over 4 yrs so some of my knowledge won't apply here, if any. I am local to the bay area CA so I guess my local track is NOR-CAL RC in union city. That is where I would like to set up my truck for. I bought a Losi SCTe in April (version 1) and have slowly taken my time hunting for parts and building my truck so it is competitive. I have replaced my chassis with a BCE, replaced my shock towers and hinge pins with CF (updated SNF hinge pins) and replaced all diff parts (chris kits). I also replaced the hinge pins with TI.
My motor is a 1410 and speedo is A MMP. My batt is a 5800 70c. I'm running a JR 8411 SA servo and it's all controlled by my DX3R. No problems yet. All other items on truck are stock including my shocks.
Here is my question:
I purchased 2 stage pistons from rcshox and the spring tuner kit from Losi, as well as odd shock oil kits to complete my current stash ( 22.5, 27.5 ect).
I'm not sure where to start since my truck is lightened and I'm unsure of it's actual weight. I will gladly post up tuner/test results when I get some action on this truck. All you SCTe guys I'm asking for advice. Thanks
start light and go up, have plenty of oil on hand, rags and cleaner! try and use lap times for a measuring tool, sometimes what feels fast isnt!!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Hi guys
Here is my question:
Your truck is basically identical to mine...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
lots of good answers guy , thanx. i had a machine failure today and have been fighting it all day. i keep losing either X,Y,or Z axis randomly, scrapped everything i made today We had a wierd power surge about a week ago and it messed up my spindle motor so whenever it would go under a load it would randomly trip an axis. think i got it solved so now its back on the grind!

to answer some of your questions , lets keep the subject on pistons as much as possible, Fred had a million page thread on spring tuning and such. It is a REALLY good thread probably one of the best on this forum. In my personal experience i have not made any changes to the springs , not that it doesnt need to happen but i just havent had enough track time to mess with that yet, i do think that a dual rate progressive spring setup would be superior now that we can control the damping

a good point that was made is that you guys just keep posting your results and setups, i promise this will evolve into some really good information. its only been a few weeks and i dont think too many of you have drilled any of the holes bigger yet. i can tell you now that there is another level once you start playing with the rebound holes more be it auxillary holes, partial holes or all of them. Pack is pack, once you have figured out its not going to change, at that point you start tuning with the rebound, that is where the performance comes in, DONT BE SKEERED!! Most of the sets i sent out have the same hole sizes F/R, it will work obviously but it is not optimal, the rear needs to be larger on both even more so on the rebound. i am making a trip to san antonio in two weeks to play and help the locals set the cars up with the pistons after that we will have even more info. Im sponsered by Caster so i have them down to perfection almost. i have to depend on you guys for feedback to narrow the setups down on the other vehicles, please start posting some vids it will help

march on fellows, march on!!
Let me know...I'll make the trip down from Austin and have some fun with ya.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by larlev View Post
There goes the neighborhood!!!

Sorry to see the pit closing down on you guys. Bring some of the local players on down to RCHQ and lets have some fun.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Your truck is basically identical to mine...
So I'm thinking 22.5 to start with on oil.
Which springs?
Does that depend on the track?
Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Buzz3 View Post
There goes the neighborhood!!!

Sorry to see the pit closing down on you guys. Bring some of the local players on down to RCHQ and lets have some fun.
HaHa...will do.

We will have an outdoor soon. It's all about $$$ at this point
Old 08-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Its a go for sure, saturday sep 3rd. be ready!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Its a go for sure, saturday sep 3rd. be ready!
Cool...I'll be there. One off-topic question....where can I buy a EX1.5r?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Champion

Cool...I'll be there. One off-topic question....where can I buy a EX1.5r?
i sell them.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

So I'm thinking 22.5 to start with on oil.
Which springs?
Does that depend on the track?
I haven't gone that low yet...35/30 for mine right now. I also use 8ight springs, red/silver or red/red

I need to run a bit more and then I'll make changes to oil if needed. Springs are dependent upon track conditions, driving style, and just overall setup your looking for. Generally run softer for outdoor loose, stiffer for indoor smooth(high bite)

Check out the "tune with camber links" thread...really good info
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Marcus,

When you say drill out rear....what sizes are you saying if they are 1.3mm? Drill out to #54...#53?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.