Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlandon View Post
Anyone running these on a losi 22? I'm considering ordering a set to try out but wanted to get some feedback from someone that has used them with the buggy first.
Has anybody yet?
I just preordered mt 22T and am thinkin about getting a set of these for it...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
So I was just on your site and Im confused a bit. In one place it says the SCTE pistons are in stock and shipping and in another place it says end of august.

I placed an order yeterday, just wondering if its a ways off from shipping or its an in stock item?

These are really interesting. I was going to ask you to build me a set for my MBX6 but I'll try em on the SCTE and see what happens before I get you to do a custom set.

On "custom" piston sets. Is it any cheaper if I buy multiple sets at a time. If I bought 3 or 4 full piston sets of the same thing would it still be $40 each?
im stuck behind the machine making pistons! havent had a chance to update the site but will tomorrow, your SCTE pistons will ship tomorrow. custom sets are cheaper if you buy more than one set PM for details

Cman, i have sold quite a few of them but have heard zero feedback, alot of people get them and dont want the comp to know they have them!! happens more than you think, you should see my "black book" of customers! LOL
Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Cman, i have sold quite a few of them but have heard zero feedback, alot of people get them and dont want the comp to know they have them!! happens more than you think, you should see my "black book" of customers! LOL
Ahhh, I see!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

People using these in the SCTE:

Are you using both washers? One on the bottom, then the small piston, then the large piston, then washer then the nut? When I put them like this, the nut seems like it sticks up a little too far up. Should I just not use the top washer and let the nut sit directly on the piston?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

well I think I figured out my problem. I was running the shock shafts 2 turns out to increase droop and the nuts were sitting up higher as a result when fully compressed. I'm thinking I might have to back them in 1 - 1 1/2 turns. But we'll see. I put them together and the fit is very good. I just have to wait until Thursday to buy some 22.5 wt fluid at the track, then I'll give them a go! I can't wait to see how they run. Marcus, thanks for everything, I'll be sure to give some feedback once I run them. I have 2 trucks, so I took the shocks off one truck and will leave them as I have been running them, and I'll run the other shocks that I just built with the 2 stage pistons. First I'll run the traditional shocks to get a good baseline of my lap times on the new layout for a few battery packs, then I'll switch out to 2 stage shocks and hope to see my lap times drop!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
well I think I figured out my problem. I was running the shock shafts 2 turns out to increase droop and the nuts were sitting up higher as a result when fully compressed. I'm thinking I might have to back them in 1 - 1 1/2 turns. But we'll see. I put them together and the fit is very good. I just have to wait until Thursday to buy some 22.5 wt fluid at the track, then I'll give them a go! I can't wait to see how they run. Marcus, thanks for everything, I'll be sure to give some feedback once I run them. I have 2 trucks, so I took the shocks off one truck and will leave them as I have been running them, and I'll run the other shocks that I just built with the 2 stage pistons. First I'll run the traditional shocks to get a good baseline of my lap times on the new layout for a few battery packs, then I'll switch out to 2 stage shocks and hope to see my lap times drop!
perfect, i have been waiting for some actual laptime feedback! expect .5-to a full second in most cases. from what i hear Bill dropped about a second with his SCTE! apperently he is causing some trouble at his track with his truck, i have had a few phone calls about him!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I got a chance to run my Durango with the pistions and ended up with 40wt front, 30wt rear. Working great!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Yzlvr View Post
I got a chance to run my Durango with the pistions and ended up with 40wt front, 30wt rear. Working great!
did you try lighter in the front?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I tried 35/27.5 and it was bottoming out too much, but that was during the day, Temps were 90's during qualifiers and low 80's for the main. Ended up with 40/30 in the main. Like stock shocks Temp plays a big part from day to night racing.. I may try 35/25 next time.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

I know your busy Marcus but we really need some guidance as to how to properly fine tune our setup for our trucks. Bill has mentioned that weight transfer is very different with these pistons. Not necessarily bad, but different enough to make us rethink how we work on our trucks.

I have read step one and two on the setup page but those steps already include a choice of springs. How do we determine which springs we should run with the pistons? I would like to get as much dialed in as possible before I start opening up the pistons.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You should choose your springs before you choose your pistons or oil so new pistons shouldn't have any bearing on that.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
You should choose your springs before you choose your pistons or oil so new pistons shouldn't have any bearing on that.
Hi Fred. How do you recommend we go abuot picking springs when using these pistons. Oil and springs have always complimented each other in the past but these pistons seem to change all of that.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

TEN 4X4.. OK:
Following directions LOL I changed the set up,... to 30 30 oils with no rebound. and when working the shocks up and down like it was on the track the air bubbles took almost half an hour to get out. I am glad I did it before I went to the track. I will post my results Thursday after I get all set up at camp Santiam
Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Here is what I did.

Take your old setup. Don't change the springs. Drop the oil weight about 10 and go from there. I did that and it got me in the ball park. I wouldn't change your spring weight from your previous setup unless after changing the pistons, you find it necessary.

I'll agree though. We need more setup info. Unfortunately, it is not there yet. That's why it is important that everyone report their results, good or bad, so we can all learn from it.

This is a new concept, at least it seems that way to most people. There just isn't going to be much setup info.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Buzz3 View Post
Hi Fred. How do you recommend we go abuot picking springs when using these pistons. Oil and springs have always complimented each other in the past but these pistons seem to change all of that.
There is a thread called "Tune with camber links" on rctech- find it and read through it. Fred details every aspect of vehicle tuning in a very easy to understand fashion. Its a long read but is definitely worth the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.