Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chucko View Post
NO REBOUND LOL.. ok... going out. taking them apart. building 30 30 with no rebound.. I don''t have the caps with the hole yet. but can bleed with them loose.. Thanks for all the input.. I would rather do the work here at the garage before I get to the track in its clean environment.
I drilled mine...pretty easy to do
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by larlev View Post
Buzz....you using bladders or emulsion? How are you building yours with bladders?
We're using bladders. Build them just like Marcus posted earlier and you'll be golden. Tighten the cap down slowly so as not to create pack when it seals.

Guys, listen to what Marcus is saying. These things are completely different then anything we have learned in shock setup. If you deviate from what he advises then you most likely wont get the desired results.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Marcus, do you recommend putting a small piece of closed cell foam behind the bladder(in the cap)? Or do you recommend leaving it without? Just wanted to get your thoughts on this.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by nytryder View Post
Marcus, do you recommend putting a small piece of closed cell foam behind the bladder(in the cap)? Or do you recommend leaving it without? Just wanted to get your thoughts on this.
i dont mess with the bladders at all, anything to do with changing rebound i leave to the pistons. keeps things consistant
Old 08-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Cool.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have not read the whole thread yet so forgive me but has anyone sent in a LOSI 8 2.0B/T shock so we can get those soon?
I have made my own 2 stage piston for my 2.0B and will attest to a significant difference but am very interested in a set that is different than what I came up with.
I have 4 sets of shocks and will help if needed.

J Rod
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post
Have not read the whole thread yet so forgive me but has anyone sent in a LOSI 8 2.0B/T shock so we can get those soon?
I have made my own 2 stage piston for my 2.0B and will attest to a significant difference but am very interested in a set that is different than what I came up with.

J Rod
yup i sent him a losi 8 2.0 shock about 3 weeks ago and i already have the pistons. marcus should have the cad file i belive

Last edited by FASTDMAX; 08-23-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer View Post

J Rod
i have dimensions for that shock(i think) but not many request so it is a custom order, refer to post #166 for details
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wow, thanks for the quick responses.
Ok, will do.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

marcus, if kingdom does make an order please,please let me know and ill order also. i know u wanted to wait for an order before u make more thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

has anyone tried these on the sc10 4x4?

I typically run on a bumpy loamy track with jumps and want every competitive advantage I can get.

do these come with install instructions?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by larlev View Post
Buzz....you using bladders or emulsion? How are you building yours with bladders?
Hey Larry I built mine by putting the badder on top without the cap - push shaft up and bleed ALL excess oil out.

Squish the badder down holding up one edge to get all air out and put the cap on.

When you put the cap on you have to screw it on slowly allowing as much air to squish out as you can or you end up with pack. Yours will be easier as you were smart enough to drill a bleed hole.

This should give you near zero rebound and seems to work best.

I started with 30/30 and it was awesome, but the first time I had run them - so hard to tell what was perfect. I ran 35/35 on saturday and I think it was better with 30/30. Entering the whoops section it seemed to upset the truck more, (or the track got worse). Still way better than stock.

I am thinking of 32.5/32.5 for this weekend as I was on Buzz's shocks last week and this week I'll be on mine so I got build em anyway.

Either way this thing is just SOOO much funner to drive! Enjoy and let me know how it works at the Pit. (sorry to hear about the Pit by the way - I almost cried when I read that this morning.)

Don't let the bench test freak you out. I did that and couldn't believe it would even by drivable. I was laughing the whole first 3 laps. No Way this should even work! I expected it to drive like a rustler with no oil in the shocks.

Have FUN!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
has anyone tried these on the sc10 4x4?

I typically run on a bumpy loamy track with jumps and want every competitive advantage I can get.

do these come with install instructions?
i have sold ALOT of sc1044 kits! one of my test rigs was that truck and it worked perfect. one thing that you may consider is getting rid of those crappy orange X rings that come stock, they restrict the shock shaft bad, Caster o rings work the best on those shocks. instructions are really simple just stick em on like regular pistons with an added washer on top
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FASTDMAX View Post
marcus, if kingdom does make an order please,please let me know and ill order also. i know u wanted to wait for an order before u make more thanks
PM kingdom, there is no way im going to remember that! im confused everyday on the custom stuff!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

So I was just on your site and Im confused a bit. In one place it says the SCTE pistons are in stock and shipping and in another place it says end of august.

I placed an order yeterday, just wondering if its a ways off from shipping or its an in stock item?

These are really interesting. I was going to ask you to build me a set for my MBX6 but I'll try em on the SCTE and see what happens before I get you to do a custom set.

On "custom" piston sets. Is it any cheaper if I buy multiple sets at a time. If I bought 3 or 4 full piston sets of the same thing would it still be $40 each?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.