Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

larlev you have me confused???? gold washer,thin, thick, silver washer (if applicable).

dont build the shock with rebound you no longer need to, 50% is going to give you issues.

pull shaft all the way down
fill with oil
tighten cap all the way down and then "crack" open just enough to let the fluid leak out of the seep hole
push shaft 90% up SLOWLY and make sure the cap is open enough to let the oil out
once you get to the top, tighten the cap and you are done.

Pakk, the pistons have colored dots on them to let you know what size they are and/or there is a piece of paper that has sizes written on it.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
larlev you have me confused???? gold washer,thin, thick, silver washer (if applicable).

dont build the shock with rebound you no longer need to, 50% is going to give you issues.

pull shaft all the way down
fill with oil
tighten cap all the way down and then "crack" open just enough to let the fluid leak out of the seep hole
push shaft 90% up SLOWLY and make sure the cap is open enough to let the oil out
once you get to the top, tighten the cap and you are done.

Pakk, the pistons have colored dots on them to let you know what size they are and/or there is a piece of paper that has sizes written on it.
I got 8 gold washers in the package. Only silver is from stock shocks. I just used your gold washers top and bottom.

That's how I have them now...just like your description
Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Buzz3 View Post
Are you dropping it to see it bottom since you haven't been on the track yet?

Start out with 30/30 and run a few packs through it to get used to it to get a good feel for what it's doing. You may end up going lighter on the oil for the Clay Pit since it's smooth and doesn't seem to have the 8th scale style jumps.

Marcus is supposed to be coming to SA soon so it will be helpful to pick his brain as setting these things up is a whole new approach to what we do.

Any idea yet as to when you can make it here Marcus?

trying to gather a crew! maybe next saturday, what time do you start?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I know how they are indicated in size, I'm wondering what size you used in your RB5, unless you are saying you didn't make them bigger.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
trying to gather a crew! maybe next saturday, what time do you start?
7 at this time. I'll make sure and let you know. Wednesdays are the big electric night but it looks like the nitro guys are getting interested in these so you'll have quite an audience on saturday.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pakk View Post
I know how they are indicated in size, I'm wondering what size you used in your RB5, unless you are saying you didn't make them bigger.
1.1/1.2 front and rear, sorry didnt understand your question! did you get your piston already?

buzz, 7p i am assuming? so i will need to get a hotel room. i will find out today when we are coming down, probably just me and jason.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Haven't gotten them yet. Should be today or tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Any idea on the RT5? Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Any idea on the RT5? Thanks
no feedback from anyone with the RT5, its not like they wont work on a truck, its the same shock as long as its a big bore kyosho. they come 1.1/1.2 on all of them anyway
Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is great.. lol OK I put the blue dot with the green on the back of the truck is this right ? and I am staying with 35 front 30 back oils tell I get to the track and test. silver springs up front gold in the back. are my coloring on building correct ?
I pull shaft down bleed air out of shocks, fill to the top, put cap on push up slow tell it all bleeds out then pull down to bottom tighten cap for full rebound pressure. Hope I am doing this right ,,I like the full rebound to lift the truck and not have it land plant and stay down cause the shocks are sucking it down.. JMO someone tell me I am wrong. I am running on a large big jump 1/8 scale track loose and wet. do I need to change before I go to the track on the building >????? Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Got my set for the DESC410 and can't wait to get to the track and try them out. Should make a great truck even better. Thanks for all the hard work Marcus!

Now if my wedding would hurry up and pass so I can get back to playing with toy cars....
Old 08-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

edit.....cleared up

I just noticed I have shock shafts that are different lengths causing my issues. No wonder they are a pain i the arse to get exact. Damn Losi

Last edited by larlev; 08-23-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Buzz....you using bladders or emulsion? How are you building yours with bladders?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chucko View Post
This is great.. lol OK I put the blue dot with the green on the back of the truck is this right ? and I am staying with 35 front 30 back oils tell I get to the track and test. silver springs up front gold in the back. are my coloring on building correct ?
I pull shaft down bleed air out of shocks, fill to the top, put cap on push up slow tell it all bleeds out then pull down to bottom tighten cap for full rebound pressure. Hope I am doing this right ,,I like the full rebound to lift the truck and not have it land plant and stay down cause the shocks are sucking it down.. JMO someone tell me I am wrong. I am running on a large big jump 1/8 scale track loose and wet. do I need to change before I go to the track on the building >????? Thanks
DO NOT BUILD THE SHOCK WITH REBOUND!! thats what the pistons are for!!
build them exactly as i posted earlier, leave the shaft up when tightening the cap....trust me! what works for single pistons doesnt work with 2 stage. start off with 30/30 because these are new nobody is going to be able to tell you exactly what to do. Bill has the most experience right now with the losi, compare your track to his track on the video and go from there. you are not going to be able to bench test these pistons!! just wait til you get to the track.

i repeat DO NOT BUILD YOUR SHOCKS WITH REBOUND
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

NO REBOUND LOL.. ok... going out. taking them apart. building 30 30 with no rebound.. I don''t have the caps with the hole yet. but can bleed with them loose.. Thanks for all the input.. I would rather do the work here at the garage before I get to the track in its clean environment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.