2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 08-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by larlev View Post
Marcus,

Should these work equally well with emulsion shock setup?

I have a little pause before the shock rebounds...I'm guessing this is what makes them different
they work the same either way, the pause is the piston gap, its normal.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was delivered a set of nice shock works today. I am starting with 35 front and 30 rear oils... Thank You for getting them to me on time Racing this weekend will report back on Monday or Tuesday. going to go Practice Thursday Friday . qualifiers on Sat, Mains Sunday. washers on bottom cool,... washers on top, wouldn't fit. assembled with one washer.. I hope that works. and thats OK. with both washers, the nut wouldn't get to the nylon to lock it on.. Thanks again
Old 08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by chucko View Post
I was delivered a set of nice shock works today. I am starting with 35 front and 30 rear oils... Thank You for getting them to me on time Racing this weekend will report back on Monday or Tuesday. going to go Practice Thursday Friday . qualifiers on Sat, Mains Sunday. washers on bottom cool,... washers on top, wouldn't fit. assembled with one washer.. I hope that works. and thats OK. with both washers, the nut wouldn't get to the nylon to lock it on.. Thanks again
GREAT, make us proud! as long as the nut keeps the top piston from coming off it doesnt matter, i would rather you have them and not need them than not have them and need them! All of the feedback i have recieved on the losi's have been great, and actually nobody has drilled them out yet, so you should be good to go. feel free to contact me if you need help tuning them but try and tune before you get to the race.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Weird with the nut issue...mine grabbed just fine. It's flush with the end of the nut.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

OK got them together. table testing drop to get ride height its bottoming out. but Tables don't mean squat. got it set up. will be tuning Thursday and Friday. I will go through a few packs and see how it goes. I am racing three cars. so I am going to be really under the gun, as there are about 200 guys racing this series...
I can't wait to try them out !!! Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

OK got them together. table testing drop to get ride height its bottoming out. but Tables don't mean squat. got it set up. will be tuning Thursday and Friday. I will go through a few packs and see how it goes. I am racing three cars. so I am going to be really under the gun, as there are about 200 guys racing this series...
I can't wait to try them out !!! Thanks again.
How'd you set your rebound? I'm running 35/30 and bottoming also. I'm gonna wait and see how it is at the track before making adjustments.

Definitely different though
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Compression 1.2
Rebound 1.3
The Plastic's are .56 mm smaller stamped with groves then the stock 4 hole #5 losi . so I am thinking, because they are loose and don't fit like the tapered losi parts, I might need to go with thicker oils to do what the regular parts do.. JMO tell I test. let you know when I get to run it.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Marcus, I just got mine in the mail today. Thanks for the quick shipping and they look great! I Haven't had time to install them yet. I took Thursday and Friday off work so I could practice and dial in my SCTE before the Surf City Classic this weekend. I normally run 27.5 wt front and rear, but most people have now started to run 30wt front and rear for this track. I was thinking since 30wt seems to be the weight that most people are using, I should base what I'm going to do off of that. So I was thinking I'd go down to 25 front and rear with these 2-stage pistons. What do you think? The track is an indoor clay track that really doesn't have any huge jumps. Lastly, have you noticed people having to change their spring rates when using the 2-stage pistons? Thanks again Marcus! I can't wait to get them on and put some laps on them.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Anyone running these on a losi 22? I'm considering ordering a set to try out but wanted to get some feedback from someone that has used them with the buggy first.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Has anyone used these on the Kyosho RT5 and RB5? I was wondering what a good starting point would be?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Champion

Compression 1.2
Rebound 1.3
The Plastic's are .56 mm smaller stamped with groves then the stock 4 hole #5 losi . so I am thinking, because they are loose and don't fit like the tapered losi parts, I might need to go with thicker oils to do what the regular parts do.. JMO tell I test. let you know when I get to run it.

Chucko you want thinner oils not thicker. they dont act like normal pistons. your pack doesnt come from the oils as much as it does the "clap" from the pistons coming together. start light and go thicker if you need to. you dont want them to feel like it does now it would defeat the purpose!

Scott if the track doesnt have any jumps start with 20/20 and go up from there. but beware the car will be EXTREMELY agile, if it is too twitchy then go the opposite and run thicker. the best scenario for that type of track is to have small compression holes and larger than normal rebound but that will not work on a bumpy track very well , you really need two sets of pistons to optimize unless this is the only track you run on.

Jlandon, we are having good luck with 25/25 out of the box

Breeze i have a RB5 SP 25/25 is what i run for the most part, since the motor is in the rear sometimes i end up using 30 in the back.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

what size holes with the RB5?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Compression 1.2
Rebound 1.3
I meant how far did you push the shaft in before closing up?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Marcus, just to clarify....washer, thin piston, thick piston w/ bigger opening facing up for washer and nut?

Maybe I put mine together wrong..I did mine the same way I always do. Push shaft up 50% and bleed through hole, then tighten. Did I have a brainfart somewhere?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by larlev View Post
How'd you set your rebound? I'm running 35/30 and bottoming also. I'm gonna wait and see how it is at the track before making adjustments.

Definitely different though
Are you dropping it to see it bottom since you haven't been on the track yet?

Start out with 30/30 and run a few packs through it to get used to it to get a good feel for what it's doing. You may end up going lighter on the oil for the Clay Pit since it's smooth and doesn't seem to have the 8th scale style jumps.

Marcus is supposed to be coming to SA soon so it will be helpful to pick his brain as setting these things up is a whole new approach to what we do.

Any idea yet as to when you can make it here Marcus?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.