Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2 stage pistons...Do they work? >

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

2 stage pistons...Do they work?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

As you all can probably see , im getting request for every rc car on the planet but its getting to the point where some cars cross reference to others. so here is how this works : i will make any piston for any car but if it is not on my website than the cost is 40.00 and i need dimensions for the piston or the shock itself. if you give me dimensions that is how i am going to make them , if for some reason they do not fit i will not be held responsible! it only cost a few bux to ship it to me and then the pistons will be made right for sure. its not really super critical but for my own peace of mind i would rather have the shock i my hands. here is the information that i need:

exact piston diameter
exact body Inside diameter
type of hold down (e-clip,screw or nut)
shaft diameter
piston middle hole size
thickness of piston
(all measurements in SAE please)

if you are confident in your measuring skills just email this info to [email protected] make sure you leave a note for what is going on and what kind of shock it is and any pix if you can.

if you have no way of measuring accurately than just send a shock to

RCshox
10739 desert springs
houston TX 77095

all custom orders have a 7-10 day turn around before i ship back
Old 08-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
how are the pistons held down? nut or screw?

Stealth-looking fwd to your results!
Pistons are held on by a screw, like Losi 8 shocks and the Durango DESC410R shocks.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OK I got the long travel rear shocks (Ve8) in yesterday and put the 2 stage pistons as soon as I opened the package. I'm 30wt up front and 35wt in the rear.The rebound front to back is spot on just as Marcus sent them. I was running the stock 1.3 hole pistons all around with 40wt front and 45wt in back. The current setup "feels" the same on the bench but the suspension returns back to normal ride height so quickly it's amazing. Simply doing the old "drop test" will show you the difference. Stock it would compress and settle back with almost a wave like motion. Especially if it lands slightly nose or rear first. Now it's like throwing a wet rag on the floor. The car lands, you get the same amount of compression as befor, and the car is instantly settled out. No more "wave" motion. I'm going to hit the dirt tomorrow
Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

dont be afraid of going lighter on the oils, you get your "pack" now from the pistons slapping together which allows you to run lighter oils and still get the desired pack over big jumps. im glad you are happy and please give us some feedback with laptimes if possible! hit me up if you need help while at the track!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Losi xxx sct shocks?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
Losi xxx sct shocks?
refer to post#166 and to add to that, if your shock piston is smaller than 11mm im not making them at this time.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

Caster EX
front 25wt 1.2-10hole comp/1.3-14hole rebound
rear 30wt 1.3-10hole comp/1.4-14hole rebound

very bumpy loose dry track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjg46qmp6_g
Old 08-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

its crashing right thru on the jumps,and the back looks too springy as if its underdamped both directions?
Old 08-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

that is because the suspension is actually working! you are used to seeing the rear end not move and skip over jumps. as long as the chassis does not slap and the tires stay on the ground it is working like it is suppose to. Remember you have nothing to compare to because all we have seen for the past 30 years is compromised suspension. if you can see the chassis move at all than the suspension is doing its job. When i was on the track with other buggies you can actually hear the difference by the motor tone and see the difference by the roost, My cars roost will stay fairly consistence while all the others are chopped up. This is the first time on the track with the car, its not perfect but its not far off, i was able to match the quicklap on the track for the Ebuggies. What do you mean by Crashing through the jumps?
if you are talking about the triples, that lip is JACKED up! just depends on where you hit it!

i forgot all of my piston drills and stuff at home so i was forced to just adjust oils, which is why i have 25 wt in the front. more testing tomorrow at another track.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well I got a chance to try these out today. The track is really a 1/10th scale track and way to small to really let the 1/8th stretch her legs much but I did have a chance to try the old setup vs the new. I also had chance to compare it to my 1/10th scale Schumacher as well. Basicly to see how the two cars reacted on the same section of the track. I focused most of my attention to the straight in front of the drivers stand as this had a washboard/high speed area to see how both setups, and both cars, reacted over the same line over and over again.

Stock: 1.3 hole pistons all around, 40wt in the front, 45wt in the back
While the car handeled the big air sections well it was absolute garbage on the straight. The car would bounce over the washboard section until the rear kicked out and the car rolled over. Had to be very easy on the gas in this section if you wanted to keep the rubber side down. The rest of the course was pretty low speed for the 1/8th but the car handeled it really well.

RC Shox: Front 35wt 1.1/1.2 Rear 30wt 1.2/1.3 (Just as they came out of the package)
Still had no problems with botteming out over the large jumps at all even with much lighter shock oil. I had tried this same shock oil with the 1.2 stock pistons (same springs) only to have the chassis slam into the ground over even moderate jumps when I first built the car. Over the washboard section I ran into some trouble, stomping on the throttle resulted in the car moving so fast I kept overshooting the turn and hitting the wall! It was a complete night and day difference. The car didn't try to swap ends or flip over, it didn't bounce around uncontrolably forcing you to feather the throttle. It just hooked up and FLEW! This later proved to be a problem when I hit the large tripple (clearing it) but clipped the wall on the way down bending a hindge pin which then spit out on the track Undoubtly I could further tune this setup for this track but I'm not going to. As I stated earlier, this track is much to small for a 1/8th anyway. I'm going to set this car up on a more 1/8th scale friendly track and report back (right after I fix the broken hindge pin).

Compared to a "conventional" setup in a 1/10th:
In the same section, with a MUCH lighter car, running much lower speeds, with MUCH lighter oil, I had the exact same result as the "conventional" setup in the 1/8th. After you gained speed on the washboard the car would begin to bounce around and you either lifted on the gas or watch your car flip over or swap ends. As this track is 1/10th scale anyway I'm going to continue to use this car on this track. That said I'm going to start bugging Marcus to make me some pistons for it

What else can I say, Marcus, BANG! Home run dude!! Best $25 I ever spent

(NOW MAKE SOME FREAKING PISTONS FOR THE SCHUMACHER!!!.....Ummm please?)
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jbarker View Post
Well I got a chance to try these out today. The track is really a 1/10th scale track and way to small to really let the 1/8th stretch her legs much but I did have a chance to try the old setup vs the new. I also had chance to compare it to my 1/10th scale Schumacher as well. Basicly to see how the two cars reacted on the same section of the track. I focused most of my attention to the straight in front of the drivers stand as this had a washboard/high speed area to see how both setups, and both cars, reacted over the same line over and over again.

Stock: 1.3 hole pistons all around, 40wt in the front, 45wt in the back
While the car handeled the big air sections well it was absolute garbage on the straight. The car would bounce over the washboard section until the rear kicked out and the car rolled over. Had to be very easy on the gas in this section if you wanted to keep the rubber side down. The rest of the course was pretty low speed for the 1/8th but the car handeled it really well.

RC Shox: Front 35wt 1.1/1.2 Rear 30wt 1.2/1.3 (Just as they came out of the package)
Still had no problems with botteming out over the large jumps at all even with much lighter shock oil. I had tried this same shock oil with the 1.2 stock pistons (same springs) only to have the chassis slam into the ground over even moderate jumps when I first built the car. Over the washboard section I ran into some trouble, stomping on the throttle resulted in the car moving so fast I kept overshooting the turn and hitting the wall! It was a complete night and day difference. The car didn't try to swap ends or flip over, it didn't bounce around uncontrolably forcing you to feather the throttle. It just hooked up and FLEW! This later proved to be a problem when I hit the large tripple (clearing it) but clipped the wall on the way down bending a hindge pin which then spit out on the track Undoubtly I could further tune this setup for this track but I'm not going to. As I stated earlier, this track is much to small for a 1/8th anyway. I'm going to set this car up on a more 1/8th scale friendly track and report back (right after I fix the broken hindge pin).

Compared to a "conventional" setup in a 1/10th:
In the same section, with a MUCH lighter car, running much lower speeds, with MUCH lighter oil, I had the exact same result as the "conventional" setup in the 1/8th. After you gained speed on the washboard the car would begin to bounce around and you either lifted on the gas or watch your car flip over or swap ends. As this track is 1/10th scale anyway I'm going to continue to use this car on this track. That said I'm going to start bugging Marcus to make me some pistons for it

What else can I say, Marcus, BANG! Home run dude!! Best $25 I ever spent

(NOW MAKE SOME FREAKING PISTONS FOR THE SCHUMACHER!!!.....Ummm please?)
Excellent results and great feedback! as soon as Fred gets me the shocks i will get some made. your probably going to be able to get away with 1.3 on the rear compression but to test that theory go with lighter oil first and see how it reacts, im actually running 25wt in the front of my Caster!!! and thats unheard of! What car is this on?

BTW i would LOVE to see some video action of this track
Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Tech Regular

hi marcus

i wasnt knocking you,just saying what i was seeing,of course what you feel the car doing is sometimes different to what you see with your eyes,and the track surface doesnt always come across on video so well

i hope you can make some for the 808,i will mic some dimensions up later today of the shaft and piston.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

no worries, like you said though, what you cant see is how bad the track is. what looks like hopping is actually the track condition. its 106* here with equal humidity and the track hasnt been watered on over two weeks! ITS FREAKIN HOT!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

4:32? Do you ever sleep?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
4:32? Do you ever sleep?
I believe he posted at 7:32, central time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.