Tekin 2650 KV Motor in e-buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin 2650 KV Motor in e-buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

It's the perfect motor for 3S. I have both the 2650 and 1900 for 3 and 4S respectively, there's almost no difference in performance.

Originally Posted by turbowop
I take it you guys running 2650's aren't running in 15min mains?
With 4400mah 3S batteries i can get 13-14 minutes of runtime, so 15min mains are possible with 5000mah or a little more.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
I am curious to see if anyone is running the 2650 KV motor in their e-buggy? I am a very seasoned racer and currenlty run with a 2050. I know alot of people run the 1700KV & 1900KV. I am looking for more power and want to know if I will have heat issues running the 2650KV motor on a 4s application?

Open to your thoughts...

Thanks
I recently drove a Losi 8ight 2.0 with a 2650kv on 4S. I absolutely HATED it. It's an extremely inefficient motor for racing. Way too much power and you'll never be able to put it all down to the dirt. Anything over 2050 for a buggy is waste, IMHO. I had much faster lap times with the 1900kv. No contest. They run hot and the run time is awful. The Tekin guys will even tell you that their 2650kv is not recommended for racing.
There are some guys who run it on 3S with some success though. I don't know what run times they get. I know one racer who didn't like it on 3S and sold it to go with a 1900kv. He is much happier.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by prestondan
Same here, 17t pinion. Castle Monster and 2660 for over a year. Zero heat issues, plenty of speed and power. I set my ESC at 75% power and no boost and speed is not an issue. I occasionally run a 4s pack, but turn the power down in the ESC rather than change gearing. On 4s at 60% power I could easily make a 15 min main if we had them. I prefer my 3s setup.
Just out of curiosity, if you have to turn the power down that much doesn't that mean you have too much motor?
When I was looking for an 1/8th motor for my first buggy, a few guys running the Castle 2650 told me they had to turn the throttle epa down to "control it better". Well I thought "what's the point of having a bigger motor then?" I just bought a tamer motor and I don't have to fiddle with epa or esc power at all. I can run a 4s and, properly geared, be just as fast as any buggy out there. I have absolutely no heat issues either. I don't even run a fan on my RX8.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
Just out of curiosity, if you have to turn the power down that much doesn't that mean you have too much motor?
When I was looking for an 1/8th motor for my first buggy, a few guys running the Castle 2650 told me they had to turn the throttle epa down to "control it better". Well I thought "what's the point of having a bigger motor then?" I just bought a tamer motor and I don't have to fiddle with epa or esc power at all. I can run a 4s and, properly geared, be just as fast as any buggy out there. I have absolutely no heat issues either. I don't even run a fan on my RX8.
Basically it allows me to not change gearing or motors for the two drastically different tracks in the Dallas area

one track I run at 70% epa and the other is at around 90 or so depending on the track conditions. I am just lazy.

I will say I don't really like the temps I see with the 2650 over my older 2250 tekin motor. Most likely will be going back on my 2250 at some point.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking 2650KV

Well, I still run a 2650kv (4s) in my Losi Tekno converted buggy. I started off with the 2650kv long time ago and the only issue I went through was excessive heat. This was because I was driving like I had no since. I was not the fastest around the track, but, man.. I sure could clear any jump out there. I went through testing the 2650kv with direct drive, then went to the clutch setup, then went to Teknos v2 clutch. After bending 2 motor shafts, I went back to direct drive, but, I use mechanical brakes. I think this is the ticket.

As far as run time. I ran a 20 minute main in 100 degree heat with not problem on a Castle Creations System about 3 years ago. I recently tested this to see if I could do it again and I at last ran a 18 minute main without any problems.

Now.. I ended up purchasing a Tekin 2050Kv system for my truggy. So, I put it into my buggy to see if I could tell the difference. The 2050 felt a little soft. I figure I am use to the 2650kv so that is my excuse. I'm not a throttle jockey as I was when I first got the car. I think the 2650kv has some advantages and that being, you are not going to pass me going down the straights,and I'd be hard pressed to see you out jump me.

Now.. That being said, the negative factor is heat. I have gone through
3 Castle ESCs and 1 2 tekins. I never had the 2650 on the Tekin but, maybe i just had bad escs. One of them blew up 100 feet after putting it on the track. Caught on fire and melted down to the ground. Shot a 3 foot flame to boot. I keep a 2nd fan on the ESC which always runs. The ESCs built in fan generally doesn't come on. I think I have had issues with the ESCs because of impact. Harsh landings. I've neve broken anything on the Losi and I am surprised based on some of the landings I have taken. I built a track in my back yard and I was testing a jump I made. I could easily tag the lower lines on the power pole off one of my jumps. I since changed it's location and made it a different kind of jump.

Anyway... I still run the 2650 and it works for me. I have run the 2050, but, got beaten down the straight away by a Nitro buggy running a Werks B6 engine. I could not believe it. Maybe I had it geared down that day...

LOL..
Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Well, a months ago I was at the track testing my Tekno V4 chassis. There were some other guys driving and one had a D8 with 2200kv mamba set.

My 1900kv and rx8 have throttle profile 2 on it, about 20 or 25% expo, current limiter enabled at 70% and a little dynamic timing. I'm driving with a 16T pinion to smooth it even more.
Well, the guys with his 2200kv truggy motor in the buggy had waaaay more power then me, but he could clear our tripple. He said my Tekin had more power than his Mamba system. I told him that he needed to go smooth trough the corner before the jump and then full throttle when coming out of the turn. But he always crashed in the turn, then lost 2m with getting back to middle of the track and he no time to buildup speed. It's a smooth jump that you can't make without going fast. Preloading the spring with accelerating on the jump has almost no benefit since you need speed to make it.

You don't need a fast motor to be fast. You need to drive consistent, smooth. If you can come out of a turn very smooth, then you don't need to speed up as much then when you're hassling through the turn to clear a jump.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you ran a 2050 in your car and got beat by a Nitro buggy it wasn't geared correctly, period.

There's a reason why the top pros choose the 1900 or 2050, it's more than fast enough.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Initiate

i run 2650 on 4s and get 20 to 25 min run time ita way way way overpwered i am down to a 13 tooth pinion and still a rocketship nobody can touch me out of corners an gettin close to end of strait im already hard on brakes and gone when they get back on throttle takes alot alot of finess to master 2650 motor
Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I run the castle system 2650..it is not to fast for me on my indoor track... Have my esc set up kinda soft which i think is key......i do wanna try a 1700 tekin to see if i better my times
Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
To be truly blunt and honest...it is too much motor. I can't remember ever racing on a track and pinning the throttle with the EPA at 100%. maybe if I raced on a BMX track, but at the 3 tracks I run on and my practice track in the backyard I try to set my gear up to run fast enough to win, but use my castle link or EPA to limit the total power while allowing me to use the full range of the throttle. On a tight, technical track if I did not limit my power I might have to drive using 30/40% of my throttle range. That makes it very easy to squeeze a little too much throttle and make mistakes. Fast racing is clean racing, so anything I can do to keep it between the pipes makes me more competitive.
I could use different motors or carry a huge gear assortment, but I am a part time weekend racer and I like programming and EPA restriction as a speed control. The Castle 2650 runs cool for me, and if I ever have the urge to blast out some high speed banzai runs that option is on the table.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Plus I don't want to change motors... I got a good one.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil

Now.. I ended up purchasing a Tekin 2050Kv system for my truggy. So, I put it into my buggy to see if I could tell the difference. The 2050 felt a little soft. I figure I am use to the 2650kv so that is my excuse. I'm not a throttle jockey as I was when I first got the car. I think the 2650kv has some advantages and that being, you are not going to pass me going down the straights,and I'd be hard pressed to see you out jump me...
You thought the 2050 was soft? You don't have it geared right then. A lot of the pro drivers use 2050. None of them use the 2650kv, for a reason. I run a 1900kv, nobody passes me on the straights and there hasn't been a jump I've met that I couldn't make. I run a large track with a 200' straight.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

i ran all day on a 2650 system again today. it's controllable and the power is nice. This entire thread is opinions from various racing backgrounds. I ran a 12 main with no problems. The only bad side i see is that it does hammer that battery. after a 6 min qualifiers, i'm down about roughly 2000 Mah.

it's not a motor for someone who wants to mash the throttle tho.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile

My son just got his first 1/8 buggy ( Tekno is letting him run it) we borrowed a Tekin 2650 and everybody said it was too fast on top and not smooth. He raced it this last Sat. At the Top Notch series in San berdoo and Won. I almost bought a 2050 but he said he likes the power of the 2650.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
2650kv on 4s is just stupid for racing. Way more power than necessary. Can you believe we used to use 3300kv motors on 4s 4 years ago?!

Your car should be setup to run around 28-32kv rpms. You get the rpms by multiplying the battery voltage X the motor kv. For example, 14.8 X 2650 = 39k rpms. 14.8 * 2050kv = 30k rpm. On 4s, the sweet spot is a 2050kv motor or the 1900kv motor. Small tracks you can run the 1700kv motor.

If you feel you are lacking on the top end, just go up two teeth on the pinion. Electric 8th scales are not overly sensitive to higher gearing.

Lack of power should never be an issue with electric 8th scale.
Shouldn't you use the voltage that the lipo has at full charge to get the you rpm? A 4s is 16.8 volts at full charge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.