Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
losi 8ight e 2.0 spur gear >

losi 8ight e 2.0 spur gear

losi 8ight e 2.0 spur gear

Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default losi 8ight e 2.0 spur gear

im having issues with my 8ight e spur gear with my mamba monster 2200. i went threw 6 of them already and im wondering if going to a 1700 tekin rx8 system would that help the proplem? thanks
Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Prophet

im guessing your not letting off the throttle when landing ?
or your gear mesh is to tight .

i run a associated rc8te and only went though one plastic spur from wear it did not strip though.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Had the same issue with my 2200kv. Never did find out what exactly was the issue though. After two I went to the forums, YouTube and google for help.

1) check YouTube on how to mesh gears on rc. Most use a dollar or paper in-between the gears and then tighten it. Not saying u don't know that bit of info but if not try it.
2)nxt I went to the castle link program and lowered and tested most of the features like the motor timing, start power, throttle control and torq amount. It took a while but I started with all of them on low and torq control on level 5 for power(not sure what the setting name is on the torque control, link isn't open in front of me). I used my laptop and not field link. After a few timed runs I bump up most of the settings till it was just right.

I'm not sure if the stock settings are too much torq or what but after all that I stopped going through them. Hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There's a really simple fix for this, it's called a metal spur gear I got one from Losi Parts house and it worked wonders. Been running it over a years now. Sure I eat through a pinion every few months, but no biggy, it's a heck of a lot easier to change a pinion gear than it is to change a spur. Make sure you keep the mesh loose. Mod 1 likes a loose mesh. Not so loose that they barely touch, but much looser than you'd run in a vehicle that uses 32 pitch or 48 pitch that's for sure.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I disagree.

Run the mesh as tight as you can, and it still has a little backlash. To loose mesh will get you a stripped spur. The Losi motor mount can handle a tight mesh, since motor and center diff flex together.

I've blown a few spur gear, two from not using locktite and the motor moved, and one from casing a jump with full power.

If the motor can't move and you watch your throttle when landing, a plastic spur cab last a long time.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

thanks but im going to avoid a metal spur. think a 1700 tekin would help not eating them up?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neobart View Post
I disagree.

Run the mesh as tight as you can, and it still has a little backlash. To loose mesh will get you a stripped spur. The Losi motor mount can handle a tight mesh, since motor and center diff flex together.

I've blown a few spur gear, two from not using locktite and the motor moved, and one from casing a jump with full power.

If the motor can't move and you watch your throttle when landing, a plastic spur cab last a long time.
Then I guess we'll agree to disagree I blew many spurs, to the point where it was really hindering my driving because I had to be so careful about waiting to get back on throttle after landing a jump that it was slowing me down. Losing 1/10's a jump adds up quickly and can end up costing you a second a lap. Depending on track size, that could cost you a full lap by the end of the race. I tried everything, tighter mesh, loose mesh, "just right" mesh, I still was stripping them even with brand new pinions. I put in a metal spur gear and have simply made chewed up spurs a thing of the past. Metal spurs on this car when meshed right aren't even loud the way some other cars are. People rarely even know I'm running a metal spur. I have the plastic spur in my SCTE which also uses mod 1 gears. the 1/8th scale cars just have too much power for the plastic to be reliable in my opinion. The SCTE has a lot less power so it's easier on gears and the plastic spur is fine for it. That's my $.02