Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
nyone ever have problems with MMM esc? >

nyone ever have problems with MMM esc?

nyone ever have problems with MMM esc?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default nyone ever have problems with MMM esc?

I've had really good luck with them but today I think I lost my first one. I'm running 4s in a truggy with relatively low gearing and default settings on the esc so heat is almost never an issue. When I landed from a jump it just rolled to a stop and it now just chatters and smells like electrical burning. Looks Castle wants $70 for an exchange. Sucks because I know its not older than a year but don't have the warranty card.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody01
I've had really good luck with them but today I think I lost my first one. I'm running 4s in a truggy with relatively low gearing and default settings on the esc so heat is almost never an issue. When I landed from a jump it just rolled to a stop and it now just chatters and smells like electrical burning. Looks Castle wants $70 for an exchange. Sucks because I know its not older than a year but don't have the warranty card.
All you need is the receipt to show its less than a year old. If you don't have that, well, that sucks. Always save the receipts for electronics, for warranty issues.

Check you wiring before deciding its bad. Almost sounds like one of the three motor wires broke loose and its phasing. The constant bouncing and vibration tends to break the wires off at the solder joints and you might not even see it under shring tubing or inside the insulation. Pull on all the wires and resolder any that flex around too easily. Check you battery connectors and soldering on those as well.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
All you need is the receipt to show its less than a year old. If you don't have that, well, that sucks. Always save the receipts for electronics, for warranty issues.

Check you wiring before deciding its bad. Almost sounds like one of the three motor wires broke loose and its phasing. The constant bouncing and vibration tends to break the wires off at the solder joints and you might not even see it under shring tubing or inside the insulation. Pull on all the wires and resolder any that flex around too easily. Check you battery connectors and soldering on those as well.

+1 I had a very similar problem and it was a simple fix. Check those connections. haha
Old 07-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Does the case split? I actually think its the neg battery wire going into the ESC. I could swear I saw spark from that area.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody01
smells like electrical burning.
can't be as bad as this.......

Originally Posted by Sstroudwku
I recently ventured into the electric world after years of success in the nitro life. My first purchase was a Team Novak Havoc 3s with a Ballistic 10.5 after 10min it started to sputter, made weird noises and stopped responding. ((I disconected the)sic) lipo back 30min later I come home to house full of smoke and the Novak Havoc ESC on fire, luckily nothing but the truck caught fire.

Originally Posted by 84 GT 5.0

Classic Novak. Crap with battery connected. deadly without battery and switched off. where will you spend your hard earned $$????
Old 07-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Yes you can split the case buy taking the sticker off the bottom and pushing in the two tabs underneath. But be aware that if you open it there is no chance of warranty. I have had luck with castle before. I had an esc that I knew I had purchased less than a year earlier and didn't have a receipt. I sent it in, told them where and when I had purchased it and they still fixed under warranty. I don't know if they will do this every time but it can't hurt to try. The other idea is go to where you bought it and they can print you off another receipt. If you know the approximate date and or still have the box and the card you bought it with they should be able to find it.

Besides it might have been the neg lead that caused the problem but if you smell magic smoke chances are something else has bit the dust.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by red dog
Besides it might have been the neg lead that caused the problem but if you smell magic smoke chances are something else has bit the dust.
Something else like what? I don't want to get a new ESC and smoke it too.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Tech Adept

I meant something else inside the esc. As in another part has shorted inside and will have to be replaced. A common problem that I have had in the past is that dust and dirt get into the case and eventually cause a short frying something. I'm not sure this has happened to you Its just sometimes these things happen.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Tech Addict

Yes. FIRE, FIRE and smoke. on 5 of the 6 of have owned.