Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Stripped rim - remove tire and reuse? >

Stripped rim - remove tire and reuse?

Stripped rim - remove tire and reuse?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default Stripped rim - remove tire and reuse?

Hey guys,
I occasionally strip the rims on the rear wheels of using my sc10. I'm slowly switching to using the stock associated rims reinforced with jb weld, so this shouldn't be a problem shortly. However, for the rims that I have stripped, is there a good way to remove the tire without damaging it and re-gluing it to a new wheel?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

There are three methods which will allow you to reuse the tires (or wheels). Insert foams may or may not survive.

Apparently I'm not allowed to post links, so head to YouTube and search for "RC How-To: Unglue & remove tires -- ALL 3 methods!" (no quotes). The first video up will show you all three methods.

-Dave
Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Save you some time

Here is the video owdlvr is talking about
Old 07-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

This happened to me on my sc10 4x4.. I did a little how to article on our blog..

http://www.rcsoup.com/2011/06/how-to...-tires-baking/
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Another option that has worked well for me (not one stripped rim since) was switching to a custom longer solid pin from the short spring pin...
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Using a longer pin works OK, but unfortunately it's still a weak point. The real solution is the Pro-Line 12mm hex adapter. These are a MUST have with the SC10. I'm using JConcetps Slash Rulux wheels in the rear and SC10 Rulux in the front. For a bullet proof drive train I run MIP CVDs, RPM B44 rear hub carrier and crush tube, and the ProLine hex. I bought the hex adapter for my son's car too, I'm just waiting for him to burn through the remainder of mismatched SC10 rears. For what it's worth we stripped a brand new JConcepts SC10 rear wheel even using a longer pin. It's a bad design that can't handle powerful motor/battery combos. The hexes, crush tubes, and RPM hubs were only about $20 then figure $10 for new rims. You'll also need B44 outer hub bearings which are much beefier.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

indeed swap that dude over to hex and be done with it. As for getting the tires off the wheels, pour a little acetone in a tupperware container, let is sit in it for a few hours, will peel right off. Flip it over do the other side. The foams may swell up, but after they dry out they will go right back to normal. Baking, boiling have done nothing but waste all afternoon, and anger me.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I think I'm going to go with the acetone method!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Get a one gallon empty paint can. Put a brick in the bottom of the can. Fill bottom of can with laquer thinner, but not over the top of the brick. Put your tires and rims on the brick and put the lid on the can. Let them sit for about 3 days and they should peel right off. This has worked for me. Couple old school racers told me this trick.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Steve. View Post
Using a longer pin works OK, but unfortunately it's still a weak point. The real solution is the Pro-Line 12mm hex adapter. These are a MUST have with the SC10. I'm using JConcetps Slash Rulux wheels in the rear and SC10 Rulux in the front. For a bullet proof drive train I run MIP CVDs, RPM B44 rear hub carrier and crush tube, and the ProLine hex. I bought the hex adapter for my son's car too, I'm just waiting for him to burn through the remainder of mismatched SC10 rears. For what it's worth we stripped a brand new JConcepts SC10 rear wheel even using a longer pin. It's a bad design that can't handle powerful motor/battery combos. The hexes, crush tubes, and RPM hubs were only about $20 then figure $10 for new rims. You'll also need B44 outer hub bearings which are much beefier.
I run AKA wheels, because they look good and feel beefier than the AE and JConcepts offerings. After switching to those wheels and longer pins, I haven't had any more wheels strip out. Basically, I consider it a "you get what you pay for" thing. The main downside with longer pins for me is that mine are so large that all wheels are a tight fit and a little work to remove, but I guess that ensures I never lose one...

The B44 rear hubs are a good idea, but they have no bearing on wheel longevity. I do like that they make the rear stiffer, tougher, and the bearings last longer.

Sadly, hex is no panacea. I've stripped more of them than I have pin-drive wheels... There are better options, but it would take a big player doing something better to get aftermarket manufacturers supporting them.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TWRC View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Save you some time

Here is the video owdlvr is talking about
Good god, whatEVER you do.. don't follow this guy's video. This guy has NO idea what he's doing. Not only should you not dip your hands into it, you shouldn't have it on the stove NEXT TO AN OPEN FLAME!!! He warns about using gloves when near the hot water, but not the timebomb bucket of acetone on his stove top!!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Rookie

By chance will any of these ways work on taking abs (the kind for drifting) tires off of rims?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ajbardo View Post
By chance will any of these ways work on taking abs (the kind for drifting) tires off of rims?
Depends if the tire is glued to the rim with CA glue (super glue) all of these methods just de bond the glue.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Good god, whatEVER you do.. don't follow this guy's video. This guy has NO idea what he's doing. Not only should you not dip your hands into it, you shouldn't have it on the stove NEXT TO AN OPEN FLAME!!! He warns about using gloves when near the hot water, but not the timebomb bucket of acetone on his stove top!!
LOL X that ....
Use a good pin and a fresh locknut and you shouldn't be stripping wheels. Iv'e done it many times due to mechanic error but the last one was 1987.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Never mined I figured it out. Sorry to bump a old thread