Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Piggyback shock experiences

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default Piggyback shock experiences

i spoke with a gentleman this week about shock options for my RC10GT. i just bought new shocks for the rear, and im going to be looking for front shocks pretty quick. the guy runs losi gas trucks, and swears by reservoir or piggy back shocks. he claims they are more consistant for long runs with the car (ill spend hours on end at the track goofing off) and he also claims he has to change out the oil less.

i was tossing the idea around of getting a set for the front of my GT, after a while the front gets a little too plush and really bounces (35wt, silver springs) around.

i was looking at getting a set of Progressive suspension set of shocks/reservoirs for the front, and the upgrade reservoirs for the rear.

what kind of experience/input do you guys have with piggy back shocks?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I think of it like this.....do you see any of the pros running those on thier cars. Ive never seen them on any national championchip winning car. I don't think they're necessary.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

thats what i was thinking, but then again how many pros run their nitros for hours on end? i didnt think too many, so i didnt really take the fact that pros dont run them into consideration.

also, i would think they would add a bit of weight, especially if its unnecessary weight

so i guess thats one against LoL
Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Tech Rookie

I've been running Progressive Suspension resevoirs on my RC10 GT for almost 4 years, just a few thoughts:

1. The resevoirs are awesome! They take the air completely out of the shock assembly, and add to the life of the internals. Basically super smooth and less rebuilds.

2. I only used it on the rear shocks, because you do very little tuning with shock oil on the back of a GT. This assembly uses a ton of oil! So if you tune with oil often, buy a lot of oil.

3. Assembly is kind of tricky, but like anything else with enough practice it's a piece of cake.

4. I believe Richard Saxton won a ROAR fuel nats with the resevoirs.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

We may not run for hours on end, but we do 45 minute long races all the time..and 45 minutes is more than enough time for oil to heat up.

mafia hit the nail on the head. The dialed ticket for the GT used to be to run the piggybacks, but the whole team has stopped using them.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

so what are you saying? the team drivers can give me their old ones?
hehe just kidding

well, i cant really argue with that. i may try a set of upgrade reservoirs in the front if after my next rebuild they still get sloppy, but ill stick to good ole straight shocks out back.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What shock bodies are you using? The FT ones have a hardened coating on inside and out and keeps the oil fresher for longer. The oil just needs replaced every now and then. The factory guys probably stopped using them b/c they they go to different tracks all the time, which requires changing the setups whether the oil is fresh or not. Seems weird your shocks would get soft unless they are leaking a bit, and you run for so long. Are they getting much dirt caked on the bottom of the body?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

yeah they seep a little bit around the shafts, but not alot at all.

im actually replacing all of the shocks with the new gold ones. when i get some extra cash ill go with the threaded bodies for the T4.

if i went with piggy backs id be replacing the whole shocks, but i think id probably just be better off getting the gold rtr shocks and if i still feel the need, get the reservoirs. it sounds like with some new shocks i may not need them!