Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kids first r/c

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Rookie

If your looking for a crawler type truck, get a Traxxas summit 1/10 or 1/16, they are perfect for kids to learn, and they are 4wd so it allows your kid to get over anything... If you buy the 1/16 it is probably best to get it in VXL and just run it in training mode, because the brushed engines need to be replaced often because of the brushes. So if you get the 1/16 get the VXL version for the extra $50 bucks or so and just run it in training mode, because VXL is very fast in comparison to the brushed engine. Also the aforementioned traxxas slash would also be a good purchase for your son.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

He is 3 years old? Make sure that you get him something small and/or slow at first.

The last thing you would want is to have a sc truck or a buggy, etc... hit the door of your car, hit him or mom in the leg, etc....

I have a good friend who picked up a Berg crawler for his kid and it is great. He can run it at 2s and it goes about 5 to 10 mph for the kid and he can put a 3s in it and have fun on his own, but this guy had $ to spend.

You could get him a rustler, but 3 might be too young. I won't even recommend our 1/18 because they go 25mph out of the box on 2s. Hit a curb accidentally with any 1/18 and it will get pricy fast.

After running something slow, he can progress at each birthday. My son at 6 was running electric truggies around for fun and was racing 2wd sc trucks as an average sportsman driver, but he was taught that these cars can be dangerous, etc....
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

my son is only 7 months old, but i plan on getting him a losi 1/24 rock crawler for his 1st bday. they're cheap, and name brand, and the LHS sells parts. they're also fairly slow and tough to help him learn the ropes!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

get him a crawler . that will be the easiest for him to learn throttle control with .
Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My son turns 5 in a month and I had a nostalgia bug that led me to get him a midnight pumpkin. I always thought they looked cool when I first got into the hobby in the late 80's and decided at the same time to get a Lunchbox for myself. He even helped me build both of them but thinks they are both for daddy. I was also considering a Traxxas Gravedigger as he has had this 1/24th or 1/32nd scale hot wheels gravedigger forever and loves it. In the end nostalgia for dad won out, that and the fact that it still comes as a KIT and it was something I saw we could do together even if he mostly just watched and handed me parts and tools...

Of course both trucks got bearing and shocks but dad's got a motor upgrade...cause I can't be beat by a 5 year old!

-Joe
Old 07-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My 11yr old daughter has been racing my Slash for the past two years off and on. She loves it. Only broken one part. I have it slowed down and she is asking to go faster. This Slash is almost three years old and has been very reliable.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello first post. Friend recommended this site and funny enough I see he posted in this thread. Did a search for 'kids'.

I want to buy 3 rc cars for kids ages 7-11. We will just be dickn around the yard. Not racing or getting too serious with it.

Think I want more of a toy than a hobby grade car. If one kid shows interest we can step it up later. They're getting an rc plane as well so just looking to spend around $50 each.

Can anyone recommend a car that doesn't completely suck for that price? Or where to browse around for one?

Thanks!