Maxamps?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
Exactly! The only debatable point is the fact that the 6500 performed like a 5000. The other parts of the tests are void. We also had someone subjectively say that the maxamps did perform from a punch standpoint slightly better than their proteks. I agree with the 150 being confusing, etc..... But from what he said, it was better.
By your assessment here, not only is the capacity debatable, but also is their C rating. That's 2/2. Also, I didn't really read that one dude's account as much more than "pretty much the same" given how unenthusiastic it was. That's also debatable.

My whole premise has always been that it seems that all of these threads are more of a let's put maxamps out of business. I think it should be let's help maxamps be a better company. It might benefit all of us somehow.

If they do lower their price, make absolutely sure that all specs are correct, etc.... How is that a bad thing for all of us?
It's up to MA to do what they want with the criticism. In my short time on this forum I've seen a number of threads locked and deleted, so I'd have to think that's a large part of why people get so riled up. But either way, they should be held accountable to what they advertise.

Hope is great, but in all sincerity, can you imagine a company with overblown specs to do something that would really benefit the consumer like pushing for third-party, independent, standardized testing similar to CEA for audio amps?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cocoa Nutt
By your assessment here, not only is the capacity debatable, but also is their C rating. That's 2/2. Also, I didn't really read that one dude's account as much more than "pretty much the same" given how unenthusiastic it was. That's also debatable.

It's up to MA to do what they want with the criticism. In my short time on this forum I've seen a number of threads locked and deleted, so I'd have to think that's a large part of why people get so riled up. But either way, they should be held accountable to what they advertise.

Hope is great, but in all sincerity, can you imagine a company with overblown specs to do something that would really benefit the consumer like pushing for third-party, independent, standardized testing similar to CEA for audio amps?
I agree 100% and I am the one who is trying to nicely recommend standards to them, identify using lightbulbs that provide constant unchangeble resistance is flawed, defend bashing for the sake of it, explain why some might see maxamps as value above just $, and ask for tests, etc.....while most importantly educate people with facts and occasional analogies.

Both Jang and the other guy said that the packs performed similarly, not worse. I just wanted to clarify that maxamps by choice uses a different way to claim high c ratings. No one has discussed cycles and I have never put 50 cycles on a pack, so that is of interest to me.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I agree 100% and I am the one who is trying to nicely recommend standards to them, identify using lightbulbs that provide constant unchangeble resistance is flawed, defend bashing for the sake of it, explain why some might see maxamps as value above just $, and ask for tests, etc.....while most importantly educate people with facts and occasional analogies.

Both Jang and the other guy said that the packs performed similarly, not worse. I just wanted to clarify that maxamps by choice uses a different way to claim high c ratings. No one has discussed cycles and I have never put 50 cycles on a pack, so that is of interest to me.
And I agree that we should look at the big picture, but I'll make the distinction that we should break it into fundamentals to that we can look at individual pieces as well as the whole.

Lemme ask you this very directly: Do you think it's realistic to believe that MA, who uses an extremely sensationalized marketing scheme (impractically derived, eye-popping specs [single cell, 1 sec burst ratings]; videos of funny cars being started on their batteries; ads all over the place; gaudy [imo] packaging), and who never respond in public to questions regarding their testing methods, is going to switch to a standardized method of testing if it's "politely recommended"?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cocoa Nutt
And I agree that we should look at the big picture, but I'll make the distinction that we should break it into fundamentals to that we can look at individual pieces as well as the whole.

Lemme ask you this very directly: Do you think it's realistic to believe that MA, who uses an extremely sensationalized marketing scheme (impractically derived, eye-popping specs [single cell, 1 sec burst ratings]; videos of funny cars being started on their batteries; ads all over the place; gaudy [imo] packaging), and who never respond in public to questions regarding their testing methods, is going to switch to a standardized method of testing if it's "politely recommended"?
Probably not. I think that being awarded best battery by the mags every year has to do with it, but remember that it is all done by vote. But that is the whole point, they are a highly refined marketing machine that also has customer service. Sometimes, that is more important to customers than anything.

I think standards would be good, but I don't think it will happen unless we get cheap batteries making rediculous claims and getting people legitimately angry in the industry.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have not been about on this forum for long but have been into rc since my first clod buster back when I was 10 years old and I have been through many a brand of battery pack since then in cars, boats, trucks, on and off road 1/5th, 1/8th, 1/10th so i have used packs in many setups. But in the last year I have used turnigy, pro-tech, venom and last but not least max amps. By far the best pack has been my max amps pack. I wouldn't say it has anymore punch than my turnigy packs but it has out lasted 5+ of them and it's still going strong. yeah they ain't cheap but for me they have worked out cheaper than buying turnigys which have nearly burnt my models to the ground on numerous occasions.

I hear this same stuff from people about tools. Most of my kit is festool but I know people who do the same work as me with tools costing 1/5th what mine cost but that in no way means that festool is over priced. It's a choice you have and I choose to by tools from companies that back up their products just like maxamps do. In the end you don't have to buy them and the more choice people have the better. They have gained me as a customer until the day a better company comes along and produces what I think is a better pack.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think standards would be good, but I don't think it will happen unless we get cheap batteries making rediculous claims and getting people legitimately angry in the industry.
Well that's happened... now what?
Old 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM
lip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The batteries are all coming from a couple of factories in China...maxamps just brand labels the batteries like everyone else
It comes down to paying for marketing..lf you like to buy banannas wrapped in plastic with a brand name at 3x the price get maxamps...if, on the other hand you dont mind eating banannas grown in the same field but without the fancy wrapper and name get gen ace or whoever

I think its silly to try and justify what maxamps sells as somehow superior when they are not. I have no real issue with them making 300% off the backs of newbies as they will eventually clue in but dont become an apologist for them...its just silly
Old 07-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by lip
The batteries are all coming from a couple of factories in China...maxamps just brand labels the batteries like everyone else
It comes down to paying for marketing..lf you like to buy banannas wrapped in plastic with a brand name at 3x the price get maxamps...if, on the other hand you dont mind eating banannas grown in the same field but without the fancy wrapper and name get gen ace or whoever

I think its silly to try and justify what maxamps sells as somehow superior when they are not. I have no real issue with them making 300% off the backs of newbies as they will eventually clue in but dont become an apologist for them...its just silly

+1 yup they all come from the same factory so which ones are better than really
Old 07-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lip

Orion's cells are made by Kokam.

Just sayin'. And those aren't made in China.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lip

Can you supply proof that all batteries come from factories in china? Last time I checked they were produced all over the world by numerous different companies and then given a grade rating like vehicle tires are when they are produced.

As an example grade A will be for OEM, grade B will be for generic and grade C will be for sub par generic which shouldn't even be allowed to be sold. Been done with grade C makita LXT packs and both failed within 6 months and didn't have anywhere near the capacity of OEM packs.

I'm sure 99% of these opinions are coming from people who have either never owned or seen a MA pack to give a reliable comparison to begin with so I would take what they have to say with a pinch of salt.

This reminds me of the Ford, chevy, dodge truck debates. Most people who are in these debates never test drive other brands so they are very biased. If they would have gone out and test drove all of them there's no doubt which brand they would own and it would be Ford. That's the reason I will now only buy MA packs because of my comparison of other brands.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Probably not. I think that being awarded best battery by the mags every year has to do with it, but remember that it is all done by vote
If you think that's honestly done by vote, I don't know what to say. You don't think that every review saying "batteries graciously provided by our good friends at maxamps" has anything to do with it huh? It's called payola, and it's been going on as long as there have been prodcuts being sold.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowroad
If you think that's honestly done by vote, I don't know what to say. You don't think that every review saying "batteries graciously provided by our good friends at maxamps" has anything to do with it huh? It's called payola, and it's been going on as long as there have been prodcuts being sold.
Not to mention the amount of advertising Max Amps gives them
Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barritia
Can you supply proof that all batteries come from factories in china? Last time I checked they were produced all over the world by numerous different companies and then given a grade rating like vehicle tires are when they are produced.

As an example grade A will be for OEM, grade B will be for generic and grade C will be for sub par generic which shouldn't even be allowed to be sold. Been done with grade C makita LXT packs and both failed within 6 months and didn't have anywhere near the capacity of OEM packs.

I'm sure 99% of these opinions are coming from people who have either never owned or seen a MA pack to give a reliable comparison to begin with so I would take what they have to say with a pinch of salt.

This reminds me of the Ford, chevy, dodge truck debates. Most people who are in these debates never test drive other brands so they are very biased. If they would have gone out and test drove all of them there's no doubt which brand they would own and it would be Ford. That's the reason I will now only buy MA packs because of my comparison of other brands.
On the ford/chevy/dodge debate.
None of those cost 3-4 times what the others do.
Your comparison with other brands, lets talk about it.
How did you do your comparisons?
While I personally have never thrown away my hard earned dollars on MaxAmps, I know many that have been suckered into doing so, and I have talked with them in detail how they have been treated.
Hell I know one guy that spent $3K with them!! The first time the batteries went bad they replaced them.
The next time, they hemmed and hawed (2 months later) and played silly games with him. Pretty sure he switched after that.
If he was on the www it would be interesting to get his input here
Old 07-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lowroad
Well, I guess we will see next year now that traxxas bought battery stickers and jumped into the mix.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MadRussian
On the ford/chevy/dodge debate.
None of those cost 3-4 times what the others do.
Your comparison with other brands, lets talk about it.
How did you do your comparisons?
While I personally have never thrown away my hard earned dollars on MaxAmps, I know many that have been suckered into doing so, and I have talked with them in detail how they have been treated.
Hell I know one guy that spent $3K with them!! The first time the batteries went bad they replaced them.
The next time, they hemmed and hawed (2 months later) and played silly games with him. Pretty sure he switched after that.
If he was on the www it would be interesting to get his input here
I am sure we can find a guy that would complain about my customer service, amains, mugens, etc....... Unfortunately the world is not perfect. But you did say they did something. How many other brands do that?

I got my point across to the best of my ability throughout this thread. Thanks for listening to my thoughts. Later guys and gals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.