Want to get old T3 running again, need help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to get old T3 running again, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

One thing to keep in mind is that Thunder Tiger still makes this truck rebranded as the Phoenix. Most of the parts are interchangeable the only issue is that many of the fasteners used on Phoenix are metric and of course the T3 uses standard screws. Take that into account when getting spares. However, the bearings are still standard on the Phoenix.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Well I just did a Full Check on my T3 and find out:

1.- All Bearings on Rear Wheels are DONE Too much Play (Ordered, 15 bucks x10 3/16 x 5/8 "Supposedly Teflon").
2.- Have some Play on the Rear Wheel HUB Im installing a washer in there to Help a Bit BUT I think im in time to getting new hubs, 20 Bucks for The Anodized Blue Ones might wait a lil.
3.- ALL SHOCKS Are damaged (Ordered, 50 Bucks Set) too lazy to Rebuilt them and Wanted to Upgrade!.
4.- Rear Arms have some play but Nothing to worry about.
5.- Checked Tranny Diff and Slipper both seem fine, Tough Final Drive Shafts have some Play on both of them I think I need to order some bearings or Rebuilt Kit If there´s any (Used Trannys Go for Up 50 bucks to 80)..

What I have Done (Small Stuff):

1.- Well after checking my T-Bones and Wheel Shafts again I found out they werent worn out, It was actually the Bearing that make alot of Play.
So I like shiny stuff, I Polish them close enough to look Chrome Like they LOOK Awesome I dare to say better than the Original Shiny Kit!.

2.- Since Im fighting to get my Full System Upgrade (Close Enough to 250 bucks for Brushless Combo + LiPo + Charger cuz Im still on NiMh Stuff). I wanted my Turnbuckles too look right and SO I polish them Too, Like the CVDs they look close enough to Chrome so Im Recycling what I can for Now Hope I can Upgrade to the real deal (Titanium Kit) on the Near Future.

Im Trying to post Pics but I dont know how
Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Im kinda new to Gearing the Trucks so could you please Explain what is a Pitch?

Im Looking for a +60Mph Upgrade, Using a Gear Calculator I found out that It will work out with a 25T Pinion Gear and a 60T Spur but I dont know about Pitch or what it means.

When Im doing Gear Upgrades I should find the exact same Pitch? Like ex:

""Pinion 25T 32P + Spur 60T 32P"" = 72.42MPH

Like that? Also Using the Same Gear Calculator I found out that Using that Setup it will be a 2:40 Ratio should it Match our Stock 2:40 Tranny??? Im new to Changing Gears so any Info is Greatly Apreciated....

Also how this Affects a 5.5T BL Motor??

Im looking at the Parts Catalog and It seems our Stock Pinion and Spur is 48P should I look for that???

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by Skirmich; 09-14-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i think MIP still sells the CVDS for these trucks ...i know they do for my RC10B3 .
Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

1. Associated gives you a part number for the bearings in manual, but also the size. At top of page in each section, also in parts list.
2. You can buy bearings at AvidRc for $1 each.
3. Almost certain that the T4 CVD's won't work on T3, I believe they're wider. Check the part numbers, I don't think they'll match. Stub axles may work, but not CVD bones.
4. Gear pitch is how many teeth per inch. You need 48 pitch pinions and spurs.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the Input "cjtamu".
But I ordered the Bearings already and Ill not be needing the CVDs as mines are OK by know!

After alot and Lots of Research it have come down to this:

For my 5.5T 6000KV BL Motor Ill be Using a 32P/16T Pinion.
For the Tranny it will be a 32P/56T Spur.

Using the Gear Shaft Distance Calculator our Stock 87Spur/20Pinion have a Shaft Distance of 1.16inch (29.37mm) If I install the 32P Gears the Distance Increase is very little (1.19inch (30.16mm) I dont know if using 32p vs Stock 48p makes another difference except size PLEASE CONFIRM!

Using the Recommended Gear Ratio List by Team Associated for the T3 the FDGear Ratio will be 8.40 Giving me a Top Speed of 75mph on a 7.4v 40C LiPO.

My Final Rollout will be 1.8:1

Please if Someone could confirm this to Order the Gears Ill be thankful!
Thanks for any Input!

Last edited by Skirmich; 09-14-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

can someone tell me what size pinion i need for a 75 spur. i bought this 75t spur for my 20t pinion, but its way to small. im thinkin i need like a 25 or 26t?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Skirmich- The gear pitch makes very little difference as long as pinion and spur match. 56T is 56T no matter what the pitch is. As far as top speed, you're on your own. You have the FDR, you'll have to calculate your own rollout for your tires and go from there.

Formula, when you go to a smaller spur you need a smaller pinion. Your gear ratio has to be in the range that your motor is made for. Think about a bicycle. As you go to a smaller gear in the back (your "spur" gear) it gets harder to pedal. Same thing with RC, if you stress it too much eventually, you'll overheat your motor. So, you compensate by running a smaller pinion.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

but the 75 spur is already too small to reach the stock 18t pinion. if i went even smaller on the pinion it would be even more of a gap.

if i got a smaller spur, and then a smaller pinion. wouldnt that equal out to exactly the same thing is was to start with?

im trying to take away some of the torque, its got loads of power, it just needs to be spread out
Old 09-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

You have to gear in an acceptable range for the motor. Why did you get away from the 87T spur? 5700 KV is a lot of motor for a 2wd truck. If you're trying to take away some bottom end, try going to a 17T pinion with the 87T spur. The motor mount slots on the T3 are pretty short. If the pinion won't reach, just file the slots out a little longer.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Tech Initiate

FormulaOfSpeed:

If Ive got your problem I would just Grind the Motor Holder holes a lil to reach the spur, Seem kinda Easy for me.