Wiki Posts
Search

Uh oh, It's happening again

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default Uh oh, It's happening again

We saw it in on-road, now we're seeing it in off road. Too many classes is spelling the end of "real" big events.

I was just looking at the mains lisitng at the HRH shootout and was amazed that there was only one class that even went down to a D-main and only a couple that even had a C main. Stadium truck doesn't even have a B. Considering how many of the racers there are racing multiple classes I would be very interested to know how many unique entrants they have there. They have a ton of differnt classes, including two divisions of stock SCT.

It should be noted that the one class that has 4 mains is 2wd modified, not an SCT class.

There was a time when there were 2-3 classes and mains went down to K and L. Now all you have to do is pick an obscure class and get yourself in the A.

When will we learn...
Old 07-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't read into this so much. Worlds is next week so HRS had a lot of the heavy hitters not attending...

270 entries was the last number I heard. Considering worlds is next week and more than half of the big names weren't there...I'd say it was a great turn out.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

It is getting ridiculous. I remember heats going to double letters at big events. A huge accomplishment to just make the A. Now at many of these events I could be in the A just by entering. That's sad.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Don't read into this so much. Worlds is next week so HRS had a lot of the heavy hitters not attending...

270 entries was the last number I heard. Considering worlds is next week and more than half of the big names weren't there...I'd say it was a great turn out.
Good point, still WAY too many classes. Was that 270 class entries or 270 individuals?
Old 07-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I whole heartedly agree. There should be two classes for each chassis MAX, and some, like 4WD and SC4WD should only have one. I think it reflects badly on the event organizer. Only seven entries for Mod truck (stadium)- where do you draw the line and say sorry guys, not enough entries for the class?

I don't buy the Worlds being a factor at all. Cav, Tebo and Evans are there, and mod buggy is the biggest class. That and 4wd would be the classes taking the hit from the worlds.

I remember seeing the entry form and LOLing and shaking my head. There were so many classes it looked like they needed two pages to list them.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

HRS is a hot race to attend. There were many of the top guys not there, due to worlds. This has already been stated.

Jimmy is hosting a race and must cater to those attending. Clearly 7 was enough for him. Jimmy did combine classes that made sense to him and his crew.

The race had a few "sportsman" classes for a few different chassis. It also had "NR Stock" with a few drivers that really shouldn't have been in it either.

Regardless 270 entries is a good attendance for any race.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

The race had a few "sportsman" classes for a few different chassis. It also had "NR Stock" with a few drivers that really shouldn't have been in it either.

I think this is what the OP is talking about. What exactly is "sportsman" and "NR Stock" anyway? What happened to good old fashioned stock and mod classes? RC racing is getting like boxing, all the different weight classes so anyone can get a title shot.

Stock for the less experienced drivers, mod for those who have the skill to handle it. Plain and simple.

Yes, 270 is killer attendance for a race. Would love to see a third of that at a weekly club race.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
What exactly is "sportsman" and "NR Stock" anyway?
You have to use a speed control with a "0 timing boost" mode or is built that way.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RA99GT
You have to use a speed control with a "0 timing boost" mode or is built that way.
Thanks for the explanation, was kinda thinking along those lines. However, it takes the stock class and further dilutes it. I say allow the ESC to be open to any timing, boost, adjustments you wish.

Heck, before the days of brushless, it was all about brush compound, style of cut on brush face, springs, polarized springs, comm size, magical potions for the bushings and brushes, and black magic break in procedures. Just to name a few. Seems less daunting of a task to change a few ESC settings, and have a go at it to see what works.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

HRS is a hot race to attend. There were many of the top guys not there, due to worlds. This has already been stated. Yes some travel pros had to choose which event they attended, but how many? IMO it's the privateers that make up the majority of attendees at big races, I still think they are being split up into too many classes.
Jimmy is hosting a race and must cater to those attending. Clearly 7 was enough for him. Jimmy did combine classes that made sense to him and his crew. Again, not even a full A main? This detracts from the prestige of the event and makes winning less of an acomplishment.
Exactly the point being made. There should be stock and mod for most chassis and mod 4wd classes. It's supposed to be a "Big Race", IMO novice 17.5 non boost 4wd SC doesn't belong.
Used to be that if you didn't sign up early you didn't get in. They used to cut it off at 350 and it would almost always sell out during preregistration. Then they would take fill in for each heat and the number was closer to 400. Look at the Cactus- used to sell out in a few DAYS, not so anymore from what I hear.
I have my own issues with the Shootout. I've attended it several times and I won't be back. Just not worth it to spend that much money to broil my ass off at an outdoor race in socal mid july.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Heck, before the days of brushless, it was all about brush compound, style of cut on brush face, springs, polarized springs, comm size, magical potions for the bushings and brushes, and black magic break in procedures. Just to name a few. Seems less daunting of a task to change a few ESC settings, and have a go at it to see what works.
Lipo and brushless are the great equalizers of RC. All these classes are trying to make it less equal again. Non boosted 17.5 w/ 7.4 volts is still much faster than a brushed 27t with 7.2 volts. I think it's a good thing in that it makes racing in the stock class cheaper, but it's too fast for beginners and makes the learning curve steeper. Hell, I've had the opinion since the early 90's that novice should have been 5 cells to slow them down.

As far as I can see, the boosted classes and 13.5, 10.5 are just for people who want to run mod but can't handle running with the pros. Big fish in a little pond syndrome.

For the record I never liked the 19t class and thought it diluted the entries back before the lipo/brushless revolution.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Eric Tomczyk
Lipo and brushless are the great equalizers of RC. All these classes are trying to make it less equal again. For the record I never liked the 19t class and thought it diluted the entries back before the lipo/brushless revolution.
Actually, all these classes are trying to make everything equal, more classes means more chances for a driver to be in some sort of "A" main. Even if there is only 6 or 7 cars in the "A", and no "B" main in sight.

19t class is a good analogy to what is going on today. However, it's worse with the boosted/non boosted, stock/super stock, bull we deal with now.

IMO novice 17.5 non boost 4wd SC doesn't belong.
Now that's funny! I really hope that wasn't a class being offered.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Legend

OMG !

Stadium class is getting owned by the SCT .....

Times change and the car's & class's will too...

I personally have no problem's with open 2w bug , open 4w, open truck , ect ....

Kill spec or stock or whatever you want to call it ....
Old 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

19t class is a good analogy to what is going on today. However, it's worse with the boosted/non boosted, stock/super stock, bull we deal with now.

Now that's funny! I really hope that wasn't a class being offered.
Yes I think we a like minded about this. Glad you saw the joke. I don't know if that class was offered but it illustrates the point perfectly. At this rate there will be class options for boxers and briefs!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Yes I think we a like minded about this. Glad you saw the joke. I don't know if that class was offered but it illustrates the point perfectly. At this rate there will be class options for boxers and briefs!
Then the masters class in on road will be renamed the "Plumber's Crack" class!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.