Like Tree34Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Old 09-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

my b4 is due for new CVD's can I replace them with the cva assembly from the b44?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

just got a b4 ran it for the first time this weekend thought it was good just not enough steering, some one was telling me about a light set up for the lipos any info or a link to this would be great thanks
Old 09-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

That Durango looks pretty impressive, much better than the previous versions they've shown. I wonder how the center CVD joint life will be with those steep angles.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
my b4 is due for new CVD's can I replace them with the cva assembly from the b44?
Not sure, I just replaced mine with the new C-CVDs from MIP.... they're nice, you'll have to dremel the rear arms alittle because of the ring.

Originally Posted by DrunkMike View Post
just got a b4 ran it for the first time this weekend thought it was good just not enough steering, some one was telling me about a light set up for the lipos any info or a link to this would be great thanks
Here ya go

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tI-wkcndHN...crcrc_2009.jpg

If it still pushes with that on there... take a washer out of the front and/or take alittle droop out of the shocks (turn or two on the shafts)

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
That Durango looks pretty impressive, much better than the previous versions they've shown. I wonder how the center CVD joint life will be with those steep angles.
No kidding
Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
B44 CVA's are shorter because the differential in a B44 is wider. So, the CVA's will not fit the B4.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

RRRRRRIIIIIIPPPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by porkey View Post
Yeah right. Ball diffs in 8th scales your a tool. They can't handle the, and there not tune able like gear diffs. And the ball diffs can't handle that much power e-8 scales or nitro. Gear diffs are they way for 8 scales. You should now that.
Originally Posted by Tony Newland View Post
Been done years ago... BMT had an 1/8 offroad car with ball diffs.... and belt drive. Niether were durable enough.
Originally Posted by UK.hardcore View Post
in 1/8th ball diff isn't gonna happen. you need that adjustability oil gives.

Anyway in 10th i do see why ball diffs are the choice, but not for me.

I hate them.

I'm not sure why people think that ball diffs would not work in a electric 1/8th scale.

A gas engine has a clutch on it which abruptly delivers the power, which on it's own would be very harsh on a 1/8. An electric car however would be much smoother on it's power delivery. Granted the electric motor has much more power, it comes in smoother than just a solid hit that the gas engine gives.

A 1/10 diff would not last, but a 1/8 heavy duty style diff would be okay. There are a lot of other more 'solid' options to build a diff than what the 1/10 scale cars have. The 1/10 scale diff's are built more for weight benifits over life.

The adjustability of a oil diff is not a 'must'. In most cases the adjustment to the diff is a quick fix 'band aid' to cover an ill-handling car.

In all the testing I've seen and done the ball diff is faster, and distributes the power better to the racing surface, and allows the car to go forward better.

The gear diff is much more durable.... But this is why we use slipper clutches in our cars.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

The B44 rear CV's will fit the B4, however they do ride very close to the edge of the out drive.

If you run a full travel shock along with running on the inside hole on the rear arm, you will run into problems.

The two CV's do not handle the same either, as they both have different bind characteristics, along with a slightly different plunge depth into the out drive.

You are best off just replacing the stock CV's with the same item, or the shiny bones.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

witch front tires give the most steering on a b4.????

Last edited by DrunkMike; 09-07-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teambighead View Post
I'm not sure why people think that ball diffs would not work in a electric 1/8th scale.

A gas engine has a clutch on it which abruptly delivers the power, which on it's own would be very harsh on a 1/8. An electric car however would be much smoother on it's power delivery. Granted the electric motor has much more power, it comes in smoother than just a solid hit that the gas engine gives.

A 1/10 diff would not last, but a 1/8 heavy duty style diff would be okay. There are a lot of other more 'solid' options to build a diff than what the 1/10 scale cars have. The 1/10 scale diff's are built more for weight benifits over life.

The adjustability of a oil diff is not a 'must'. In most cases the adjustment to the diff is a quick fix 'band aid' to cover an ill-handling car.

In all the testing I've seen and done the ball diff is faster, and distributes the power better to the racing surface, and allows the car to go forward better.

The gear diff is much more durable.... But this is why we use slipper clutches in our cars.
They won't work. You can't tune a ball diff like a gear diff. And you need the diff fluid. You can't put a ball diff in the center, all the power will go to the front.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Legend

Doubt they will even use a center diff in a true 1/8thE ride....

would be replaced with a slipper
Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

The hole "clutch give's sudden torque" is BS aswell, the clutch comes on soft.

Otherwise the engine would stall or break.

nothing like the kick in the nuts the BL motor's start up with.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Legend

Ball diffs perform on 1/10th as we already know, just because you design a larger version does not mean its performance would change ....

which means

A 1/8th ball diff would offer superior side traction & forward traction
(no gear blind ).....
Old 09-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Ball diffs perform on 1/10th as we already know, just because you design a larger version does not mean its performance would change ....

which means

A 1/8th ball diff would offer superior side traction & forward traction
(no gear blind ).....
Prove it. How should they bind if you using diff fluid? I don't know were you get they will have offer more traction. If they thought that ball diffs will offer more traction then AE, losi, TQ, etc would have put ball diffs in there 8 scales not gear diffs. But it won't and there smart enought to know the ball diff will not hold.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

There are certainly design challenges in getting a ball diff to work well and reliably in a 1/8th car, challenges that will cost R&D money to overcome. If AE, Losi and the others decide not to try it then we'll never know.

FWIW, 1/10th scale nitro trucks, 1/10 nitro sedans use ball diffs and 1/8th on-road cars did too (talk about torque and power..) until spools became the hot setup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.