Like Tree34Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Buy a LRP SPX , smooth & best performance you can buy....
+1 though I haven't put any spx's in my off roaders...but have for onroad. The spx will make a 17.5 scream w/ the timing advancing it does. the higher profile # more aggressive... you'll need to drop a couple teeth on the pin, maybe more. I don't think I'll buy any more of Mr. Bob's gear, I'm sold w/ lrps.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Ok, since u guys are talkin about it. I'm in the market for an esc right now. I'm def gonna go with the lrp but was battling the decision of gettin the newer spx, or just gettin one of these tc spec comps that people are offloadin so cheap??
And if u do think the spx, why? What's the pros and cons?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Legend

cleblanc

If your going to be racing spec or stock class's, purchase the SPX .

It has "dynamic timing" designed to get the best motor performance from spec motors.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply.. I wish their were spec classes in my area, but I'm lucky that people even somewhat race electric, and the ones that do only wanna run mod. So from what ur sayin I should be fine with the tc spec bc I really have no use for the timing advantages in mod, correct?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cleblanc View Post
Ok, since u guys are talkin about it. I'm in the market for an esc right now. I'm def gonna go with the lrp but was battling the decision of gettin the newer spx, or just gettin one of these tc spec comps that people are offloadin so cheap??
And if u do think the spx, why? What's the pros and cons?
don't qoute me on this, I never owned a sphere. but I think the sphere doesn't do the advanced timing? maybe it does.. from what I read on the spx thread the spx is better for slower motors 10.5, 17.5, 21.5s...though it states the lower profiles are more for mod motors...higher profiles for stock. in general the sphere is better for mod, spx better for stock.
If running 10.5 or higher you want the spx..definitely worth the money to me. my 17.5 TC is a rocket on the top end compare to others I race w/ spheres. I haven't had the need for that much top end for my tight little dirt track, but when the gtb's blow they will be replaced w/ lrps or maybe a KO.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

found it...lots of discussion on spx vs. sphere.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...tock-spec.html
Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

So from what ur sayin I should be fine with the tc spec bc I really have no use for the timing advantages in mod, correct?
correct. yeah, kinda pointless with the hotter motors.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the reply.. I wish their were spec classes in my area, but I'm lucky that people even somewhat race electric, and the ones that do only wanna run mod. So from what ur sayin I should be fine with the tc spec bc I really have no use for the timing advantages in mod, correct?
Dynamic timing works great for mod , just mod does not use as high timing advancement as stock ....
For mod use or consider the LRP SXX .....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 08-25-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Apparently I gather I needs to step it up from a 10.5 to 8.5 in my B4 also. Wish I had just a lil more knowledge in these areas LOL. I really don't know much about the programing, haven't even went into it yet, just been running it with whatever the heck it is that's on it. I am also def gonna go wit at least the 8.5 in my t4 I have coming, or do u guys recomend a 7.5?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CClay1282 View Post
Usually used on the b4. Havent heard of anyone doing it on the t4.
Chris, I'm running the 4th hole on my T4 and it works great. If you can, try to drill it for the next FTMS race, as it will probably help a lot there. My truck still has plenty of steering.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Cherry,

what did you drill out your Losi 55 Pistions too? Just three holes right to a #58 or #59 holes.

Was planning on trying a couple different Pistions and I just want to make sure.

David, use hand drill losi piston with the seam on the edge of piston smooth off. 35w oil

Yes of course I use the lite set-up , with a few changes ..

trim green rear spring (1 coil)
35W ft shock
losi 55 piston & 35w rear shock
3 shims on ft ball stud
2 shims on back stud
standard rear axle hub moved all the way back of rear arm
3 030 shims on steering arm ( more bump steer)

JC GOLD Bars codes ft & back
heavy contoured ft foam, use a rear insert with 3/16 trim off first..

back insert
same as ft..
very important to do as the side wall on the rear bar code is very stiff and need a smaller insert to get a softer sidewall for side bite...

BUGGY GRIP traction compound

Tony N
I found the 35w with the drilled losi piston was a bit smoother when the car is toss into the turn, more side bite with out lowering corner speeds .
Car is less dartly or edgy...

BDW , not my set-up !!!

Stolen from a Ae team driver...
Old 08-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Legend

whatz up

for B-4 rear shock

*use losi piston smaller than #55 , like #60 or #57

*smooth off the mold seam on edge of piston

*drill piston holes larger with a # 55 drill bit

35w oil
Old 08-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

They're just as useful in mod as stock.... timing changes the way the power comes on a ton.

Apparently I gather I needs to step it up from a 10.5 to 8.5 in my B4 also. Wish I had just a lil more knowledge in these areas LOL. I really don't know much about the programing, haven't even went into it yet, just been running it with whatever the heck it is that's on it. I am also def gonna go wit at least the 8.5 in my t4 I have coming, or do u guys recomend a 7.5?
Why? I run a 10.5 in mod and routinely finish in the top 3 within seconds (couple of driving mistakes worth) of the leaders that are running 6.5-7.5s. It all in how smooth you can apply the power. With the 10.5 I can strap it and the car is stuck like glue, I routinely jump out a few feet on those guys on the straights and out of the corners. I'm a whole lot more consistent to boot. Last weekend I ran 16 laps consectutive within 2/10s of a second... made one mistake and ran the other 8 laps the same. I'm only a 1/10th or 2 off per lap to TQ and run up front every night.... this is only the 3rd or 4th time I've ran flashlights in almost a year.... the car is coming around
Old 08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So are most "stock" racers using the LRP motors with the SPX also, or is my choice pretty much open to any brushless motor? I dont want to wait until we start racing to scramble for a motor. I have a month to get this all together. My B4 is 90% built now so it gives me time to get it running and make sure its tuned.

Sorry for all the questions but brushless is all new to me and I wont miss my brushes and no more comm cutting,cleaning etc...
Old 08-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

whatz up

for B-4 rear shock

*use losi piston smaller than #55 , like #60 or #57

*smooth off the mold seam on edge of piston

*drill piston holes larger with a # 55 drill bit

35w oil
Cherry, So if I have a #55 pistions already its to big? Ok I will look for smaller Pistions to try.

Thanks,

Originally Posted by djmike View Post
So are most "stock" racers using the LRP motors with the SPX also, or is my choice pretty much open to any brushless motor? I dont want to wait until we start racing to scramble for a motor. I have a month to get this all together. My B4 is 90% built now so it gives me time to get it running and make sure its tuned.

Sorry for all the questions but brushless is all new to me and I wont miss my brushes and no more comm cutting,cleaning etc...
To be honest most everyone is running different esc's and motors but most that I know run the SPX including me with Trinity based motors and Orion motors and it is sweet. Very smooth and runs way cooler then my last ESC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.