Like Tree34Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Old 05-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by micrors4guy View Post
ray. I am actually running that spring piston oil setup. It works really well on a slippery track. Haven't run it on a rought track yet tho. Our track had some big jumps and that combo soaked up the jumps well and remained stable on some brutal landings.
Ok cool.

Cant wait to see the setups from this years ROAR nats. Sounds like it will be the first non 'black-groove' big race over there for a while....

Ray
Old 05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What combination of Silicone oil, and springs would you guys recommend to run on a B4?

I never get it quite right. Either I bounce the chassis off the ground on jumps, or I set it so hard that the car kinda bounces. Either not enough dampening or way too much.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

What "black" springs are you guys talking about? Should i be running black springs on my t4?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by CClay1282 View Post
What "black" springs are you guys talking about? Should i be running black springs on my t4?
The black springs are used on the new buggy lipo/lightweight setup.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
Here she is. Finally got me a FT B4 !! Been trying for a few months now. Yee haaa. Not as clean of an install as I was hoping for but it should work.

DK
Whats that capacitor lookin thing connected to the receiver.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KidAgain View Post
Whats that capacitor lookin thing connected to the receiver.
It is a capacitor for 4 cell applications. When spektrum came out they had problems with running 4 cell because of the low voltage.

For some reason though, i ran legend all the time with 1600 spec packs till they were absolutly dead and never lost signal. I wasnt using the cap either.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Wrong , A ball diff delivers better performance period compared to a gear diff in any track condition`s ...

If your correct about gear`s , why even use a ball diff on a B-4 ?

Main reason Ae develop a gear diff for the Sc-10 was for it durability and lack of ever needing adjustment..

Not for its performance...
I disagree, but I would probably never run a gear diff in anything that it didn't come in. The ball diff requires more load gradient between the two wheels for it to provide differential action and tends to break both wheels loose under acceleration if traction is inadequate. With a gear diff, one rear tire tends to brake loose; the rear end will stay planted, but this is at the expense of forward traction. The gear diff will add more stability under acceleration, but may cause you to be a little slower around the track. So I guess I do agree with you that it will not enhance performance in most situations. With new drivers, who don't have a trained trigger finger, the added stability with a gear diff may make them faster. With SC trucks, where tires and traction are limited, a gear diff can add stability and keep the truck from feeling like it's on edge all the time. This will make some drivers faster. In a B4, where tire options are plentiful, a ball diff is much, much better. With a gear diff, the inside tire will just unload on corner exits and significantly hamper acceleration. With a ball diff, you can lay down power effectively as you exit a corner.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok guys i'v got a few questions for you.

I fly planes also and centre of graverty is very importaint but i'v never seen COG mentioned in Buggy racing? Wait on thats not question

Any tips for getting my stock going a bit harder. its a B4 with an orion core 27T, I'v got 81-25 gearing right now. but we have a very long straight. and im reaching full speed 1/2 way along, i tryed a 81-26 but it didnt go any faster so i assumed that it was to much for the motor/batt.

Am i just expecting to much from the poor little stock?

I'v done the comm and new brushess.

Massive thread, i love it
Old 05-15-2009, 02:47 AM
Tech Master

My guess would be it's just too big of a straight for the motor. If the gearing and motor is great for 90% of the track, but lags on the one straight, don't worry about it. No point in gearing or tuing to max out at the end of the straight if you have no oomph for the twisty bits!

The COG is important in off-road to a point. You always want to keep it low to prevent body roll, but ground clearance is more important for bumps and rough landings! Generally, there isn't a lot you can do except keep electronics on the deck and adjust the ride height, but again, that's usually as HIGH as you can get away with, not as low
Old 05-15-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mtsb4 View Post
Ok guys i'v got a few questions for you.

I fly planes also and centre of graverty is very importaint but i'v never seen COG mentioned in Buggy racing? Wait on thats not question
Massive thread, i love it
i presume you are asking about the cg position along the car, not the height? If so, have a read of the last few pages and there is some discussion on the effect of weight distribution front/rear (i.e. the cog position along the wheelbase). Apparently in planes the 'balance point' is important - you can calculate the cg from the balance point along the chassis relative to the front and rear wheels.

It makes a massive difference, but surprisingly it isnt accurately measured from car to car. The position of things like speed controller and even the motor position (a function of your gearing) can make a noticeable difference.

Ray
Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtsb4 View Post
Any tips for getting my stock going a bit harder. its a B4 with an orion core 27T, I'v got 81-25 gearing right now. but we have a very long straight. and im reaching full speed 1/2 way along, i tryed a 81-26 but it didnt go any faster so i assumed that it was to much for the motor/batt.
I've never been able to get the Reedy MVP/Orion Core stock motors to run well and not smoking hot. Toss in a Trinity stock motor and see how that goes. They have a tendency to be a higher revving motor while still retaining some bottom end for the twisties.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Iím running an 8.5 LRP Brushless with a 30C lipo, and all I had was a 23t pinion to use with the 72T spur. Anyone run anything like this, and be ok with temps? Say for instance, I do run a little hot, can I just turn down my throttle EPA (which I plan on doing anyway, no need for all that juice) and that will help with temps?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default biggest pinion with 72t spur?

does anyone know what is the biggest pinion that will fit with the 72t spur?

I dont want to mess with traxxas pegs and turbo hubs anymore!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by richard.bratton View Post
I disagree, but I would probably never run a gear diff in anything that it didn't come in. The ball diff requires more load gradient between the two wheels for it to provide differential action and tends to break both wheels loose under acceleration if traction is inadequate. With a gear diff, one rear tire tends to brake loose; the rear end will stay planted, but this is at the expense of forward traction. The gear diff will add more stability under acceleration, but may cause you to be a little slower around the track. So I guess I do agree with you that it will not enhance performance in most situations. With new drivers, who don't have a trained trigger finger, the added stability with a gear diff may make them faster. With SC trucks, where tires and traction are limited, a gear diff can add stability and keep the truck from feeling like it's on edge all the time. This will make some drivers faster. In a B4, where tire options are plentiful, a ball diff is much, much better. With a gear diff, the inside tire will just unload on corner exits and significantly hamper acceleration. With a ball diff, you can lay down power effectively as you exit a corner.
Just switch back & forth between the two in your B-4 and then discover who is correct ....

On a smooth surface you could find a advantage with gears ,. but in off-road with bumps ?

The ball diff will always prevail in performance...
Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker View Post
does anyone know what is the biggest pinion that will fit with the 72t spur?

I dont want to mess with traxxas pegs and turbo hubs anymore!
Last race I was at 72/35. Looks like I could get a 36 or maybe a 37 in there.

DK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.