Like Tree34Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Old 05-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Ray,
Do you remember the off power steering issues I was having with my B4 at Yatabe? Well I didn't make any further changes to the setup except I swithed to Intellect LiPo batteries. The lighter weight of the LiPo made a BIG differance. In fact the first race with LiPo's I qualified 2nd in the A at my local track I also ran the B4 in the 4wd class (Big problems with the Mid44 and LiPo's) and qualified 4th in the A. Oh yeah I am also running the 7.5 in the B4 as well. I plan on testing the light weight setup this weekend to see if I can get a little better results.

BTW, sorry I have not mailed you the Magazine just yet. I have crazy busy here getting ready to move to Korea.

Originally Posted by ray_munday View Post
Hi 57,

You mention you are running Lipo. In that case, I would suggest running the Theilke Lipo setup from Cactus as a starting point (it is quite a bit different to the kit setup) including drilling the 4th hole in the rear tower, running the front shocks on the inner hole on the arm etc. See here on the rc10.com site:
- http://67.199.85.166/racing/setups/b...assic_2009.pdf

As the guys here have mentioned, tyre choice is critical. Assuming you have the right tyres, the question is where is it understeering - off power, mid corner, on power? High speed / low speed?

If you are understeering off power, try addijng some drag brake or moving the battery back / shortening wheelbase.
If you are understeering mid corner, try moving the battery back/ shortening wheelbase.
If you are underteering on exit, try moving the battery forward (or lengthening wheelbase) or raising the rear roll centre.

From memory, the kit setup tells you to run a long rear camber link, which also makes the car understeer. Run it in the middle of the hub on the rear.

In general, if you raise the front you will get a little less steering mid corner and vice versa for the rear.

Id say try the team lightweigh setup mentioned above first, make sure you have the right tyres for the track, and get back to us if you are still having issues.

L8r

Ray
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nsr250repsol View Post
Hey Ray,
Do you remember the off power steering issues I was having with my B4 at Yatabe? Well I didn't make any further changes to the setup except I swithed to Intellect LiPo batteries. The lighter weight of the LiPo made a BIG differance. In fact the first race with LiPo's I qualified 2nd in the A at my local track I also ran the B4 in the 4wd class (Big problems with the Mid44 and LiPo's) and qualified 4th in the A. Oh yeah I am also running the 7.5 in the B4 as well. I plan on testing the light weight setup this weekend to see if I can get a little better results.

BTW, sorry I have not mailed you the Magazine just yet. I have crazy busy here getting ready to move to Korea.
Great to hear mate. I think you will really like the latest Lipo setups. The car feels much more nimble but is still nice to drive. i havent run it on a really rutted track but hope to this weekend.

No probs re: magazine. When do you head to Korea??

Ray
Old 05-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

What kind of problems are you having with the mid44?

Last edited by richard.bratton; 05-13-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
A ball diff car accelerates straighter in bumpy conditions as both rear wheels get equal power .

With a gear diff and all the power goes to the opposite wheel if just one rear wheel goes over a bump , which mean less forward traction and counter steer just to accelerate straight in the same bumpy conditions ...

Before you think gear diff`s are more innovative , that's all we had in the beginning years . Ball diff`s became very popular later, after everyone learned just how great they performed.
I agree with everything you said and innovative wasn't the best word choice. My Tamiya Hotshot had a gear diff long ago. In low traction scenarios, the gear diff will provide more stablility. I don't think you'd ever want a gear diff if traction is good. A gear diff also improves off power steering....
Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do any of you guys know if panther makes bobcats for the truck front?
Old 05-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Great to hear mate. I think you will really like the latest Lipo setups. The car feels much more nimble but is still nice to drive. i havent run it on a really rutted track but hope to this weekend.

No probs re: magazine. When do you head to Korea??

Ray
Hey Ray,
I hope the new LiPo setup is a bit better. My current setup is good but I think it could be a bit better. The rear end is a bit loose under hard acceleration and cornering. Also I pull a wheel stand down 3/4 of the straight. Its consistent and I don't seem to loose any time on the straight but if I get on the gas too quick while landing slightly on the rear violent wheelies happen.

I'll be headed for Korea around the end of July. I think they are planing my farewell race for the end of June. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to find a place to race in Korea but once I get to Italy there will be a lot of tracks withing a few hours. Pluss I can attend races in Austria and some of the larger Euro races from time to time as long as the wife is OK with it.

I'll get the magazine out to you soon though!

Originally Posted by richard.bratton View Post
What kind of problems are you having with the mid44?
Over steer galore. Tones of bite up front and nothing in the rear. I'm going to go a light light on the shocks and add weight to the rear a little at a time till it tames the beast. I spoke with Shun from Team Azarashi and he recommended a lot of weight in the rear when running LiPo's. I don't want to add too much as I really like how my B4 runs with the lower weight and hope I can find a decent lightweight setup that will work good with the Mid44 as well. I'm racing 1/8 scale this weekend but if I have time I'll be doing a lille testing the few changes I have in mind for the Mid44. If I get decent results I'll be sure to post them in the B44 thread.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Hey Ray,
I hope the new LiPo setup is a bit better. My current setup is good but I think it could be a bit better. The rear end is a bit loose under hard acceleration and cornering. Also I pull a wheel stand down 3/4 of the straight. Its consistent and I don't seem to loose any time on the straight but if I get on the gas too quick while landing slightly on the rear violent wheelies happen.

I'll be headed for Korea around the end of July. I think they are planing my farewell race for the end of June. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to find a place to race in Korea but once I get to Italy there will be a lot of tracks withing a few hours. Pluss I can attend races in Austria and some of the larger Euro races from time to time as long as the wife is OK with it.

Over steer galore. Tones of bite up front and nothing in the rear. I'm going to go a light light on the shocks and add weight to the rear a little at a time till it tames the beast. I spoke with Shun from Team Azarashi and he recommended a lot of weight in the rear when running LiPo's. I don't want to add too much as I really like how my B4 runs with the lower weight and hope I can find a decent lightweight setup that will work good with the Mid44 as well. I'm racing 1/8 scale this weekend but if I have time I'll be doing a lille testing the few changes I have in mind for the Mid44. If I get decent results I'll be sure to post them in the B44 thread.

try a front swaybar on the mid44 to take some of the front bite away.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by porkey View Post
Do any of you guys know if panther makes bobcats for the truck front?
Panther does not make bobcats for the front but switch tires work very well.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Ray,

You mentioned you were running a 7.5- you might find an 8.5 more appropriate for a minimum weight setup. Also, try and get hold of some 0.5 deg or 1deg rear toe-in hubs (you should be able to find them in Japan, seems to be the only place that has them). You should find the changes to the front end in the lightweight setup (softer using the inner hole on the arm) help to reduce wheelstands off small bumps.

As for the mid44- I know this isnt the right thread- that layout helped move weight forward with the heavy nimh batts at the rear, which makes the car much easier to drive. With the standard B44 layout and Lipo, the weight moves a long way forward from the standard nimh setup. I posted my latest BJ4WE lightweight setup in the B44 thread a few pages back. You might want to consider going back to the B44 with Lipos.

Ray
Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by richard.bratton View Post
I agree with everything you said and innovative wasn't the best word choice. My Tamiya Hotshot had a gear diff long ago. In low traction scenarios, the gear diff will provide more stablility. I don't think you'd ever want a gear diff if traction is good. A gear diff also improves off power steering....
Wrong , A ball diff delivers better performance period compared to a gear diff in any track condition`s ...

If your correct about gear`s , why even use a ball diff on a B-4 ?

Main reason Ae develop a gear diff for the Sc-10 was for it durability and lack of ever needing adjustment..

Not for its performance...

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 05-14-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio View Post
Panther does not make bobcats for the front but switch tires work very well.
are they simular?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porkey View Post
are they simular?
Yes, very similar tread design. The reason there's not a Bobcat front specific for 1/10th truck is because the tire sizes are the same front and rear.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Rookie

I posted my latest BJ4WE lightweight setup in the B44 thread a few pages back.
Ray
Have you got a link for this, as I can't find it? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by djzipper View Post
Have you got a link for this, as I can't find it? Thanks!
More than a few pages back....
http://www.rctech.net/forum/5711364-post2804.html

Or see here:
http://www.rccar.com.au/setups.html

Any more questions on the 4wd, ask them in the B44 thread - dont want to take the B4 thread too far off topic.

Question for all: Who has run the latest B4 lightweight setups on rough / slippery tracks? Ill be running one this weekend and thinking that in addition to black springs on the rear, I might try 30wt/#1 piston instead of 25/#2 to take a bit of pack out of the rear end. Will let you know how it goes.

Ray
Old 05-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

More than a few pages back....
http://www.rctech.net/forum/5711364-post2804.html

Or see here:
http://www.rccar.com.au/setups.html

Any more questions on the 4wd, ask them in the B44 thread - dont want to take the B4 thread too far off topic.

Question for all: Who has run the latest B4 lightweight setups on rough / slippery tracks? Ill be running one this weekend and thinking that in addition to black springs on the rear, I might try 30wt/#1 piston instead of 25/#2 to take a bit of pack out of the rear end. Will let you know how it goes.

Ray
ray. I am actually running that spring piston oil setup. It works really well on a slippery track. Haven't run it on a rought track yet tho. Our track had some big jumps and that combo soaked up the jumps well and remained stable on some brutal landings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.