Like Tree34Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Legend

When you use a thicker oil you slow down the shocks ability to move quick enough to respond to a bump and it can`t recover in time for the next bump ...

Wish the suspension to have more resistance to bumps , know as "pack" ?

Better to use a smaller piston hole and lighter oil to keep the supension action quick enough to recover for the next turn or bump..
Old 03-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

there is a good explanation of it here under suspension.
http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm having a lot of problems with my T4. I live in the Netherlands and there are not
many people who know how to solve problems with Associated cars.
I'll try to give you as much as info so hopefully there is someone who can help me.

I drive a RC10T4 FT with a Mamba Max ESC with the 7700kv motor (87T spur and 15t pinion).
I also use a 7.4V 4000mAh LiPo.
The setup is right out of the box.
I use team Associated shock oil 40wt and blue springs at the rear and silver at the front.
The camber is set with a RPM camber gauge to 1 negative on the rear wheels, the front is neutral.
I'm only driving on asphalt (low grip) and i use Proline Speed Hawgs on Proline Holeshot rims.

The problem :
It's almost impossible to drive with this car!!!!
When i go to full throttle the car immediately makes a spin to the left.
When i give 20 or 30% of throttle and then after a few seconds go to full throttle the car makes a spin to the left.
When i gently build up speed till 50% and then go to full throttle the car accelarates perfectly and doesn't spin.
It always spins to the left, never to the right!!!

I tried to adjust the diff so that it operates smoothly but then it's only slipping.
So now it doesn't slip anymore but it is a bit grinding when i turn one of the wheels.
The slipper is slipping for 2 meters (6 or 7 feet), so that should be okay.
The LiPo is in the middle of the chassis (one foam block in the front and one at the rear).
I also used the anti- rollbar but that didn't work at all!!

Is there someone who can help me or can give me some tips, because the cars is not fun to drive with (only at topspeed) ??

Could it be a balance problem?? The ESC (Mamba Max 71 gram) is on the left and the reciever (Spektrum SR3000 11.3 gram) on the right.
So the left is 60 grams "heavier", could that be a major problem??

Thanks for your help!!
If you need some more info please ask!!

note : I hope my English is good enough for you to understand it!!

regards,

Nils

Last edited by Yoshimura; 03-30-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: left is 60 grams heavier (not the right)
Old 03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

try taking the anti-roll bar off and putting green springs in the rear
Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

take all the shocks off and make sure the front shocks are the same lenth and the rear shocks are the same length...

take out the anti squat blocks that are under the rear bulkhead if there are any..

also check for binding or bad bearings in the left hub..
thats ALOT of motor for this truck.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Make sure that your links are all the same length. Just because you camber is right with the tire on dosen't meen that they are aligned correctly. Also check the car for slop. The reciever shoud be on the same side as the antenna mount.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yoshimura View Post
I'm having a lot of problems with my T4. I live in the Netherlands and there are not
many people who know how to solve problems with Associated cars.
I'll try to give you as much as info so hopefully there is someone who can help me.

I drive a RC10T4 FT with a Mamba Max ESC with the 7700kv motor (87T spur and 15t pinion).
I also use a 7.4V 4000mAh LiPo.
The setup is right out of the box.
I use team Associated shock oil 40wt and blue springs at the rear and silver at the front.
The camber is set with a RPM camber gauge to 1 negative on the rear wheels, the front is neutral.
I'm only driving on asphalt (low grip) and i use Proline Speed Hawgs on Proline Holeshot rims.

The problem :
It's almost impossible to drive with this car!!!!
When i go to full throttle the car immediately makes a spin to the left.
When i give 20 or 30% of throttle and then after a few seconds go to full throttle the car makes a spin to the left.
When i gently build up speed till 50% and then go to full throttle the car accelarates perfectly and doesn't spin.
It always spins to the left, never to the right!!!

I tried to adjust the diff so that it operates smoothly but then it's only slipping.
So now it doesn't slip anymore but it is a bit grinding when i turn one of the wheels.
The slipper is slipping for 2 meters (6 or 7 feet), so that should be okay.
The LiPo is in the middle of the chassis (one foam block in the front and one at the rear).
I also used the anti- rollbar but that didn't work at all!!

Is there someone who can help me or can give me some tips, because the cars is not fun to drive with (only at topspeed) ??

Could it be a balance problem?? The ESC (Mamba Max 71 gram) is on the left and the reciever (Spektrum SR3000 11.3 gram) on the right.
So the right is 60 grams "heavier", could that be a major problem??

Thanks for your help!!
If you need some more info please ask!!

note : I hope my English is good enough for you to understand it!!

regards,

Nils
Sounds like balance and tweak are off. First find a rod that will span from the front tower to the rear tower. Slide it in there and put a bubble level on the servo. pick up the truck by the rod and add weight to the light side. After you have that make sure all your shocks match up. The front should be the same and the rear should be the same. When you have that done, with the car ready to go minus body, pick up the rear by the center of the tower. When you lower it both the rear tires should hit the same time. Do the same for the front. If its balanced left/right all four tires should hit at the same time. If they dont you have a twist in the chassis.

Try it after the rebalance. If it still pulls to the left then goto your local onroad place and see if you can use someones tweak board. They can help get the tweak set correctly. After that it should drive perfect.

HTH
DK
Old 03-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

The reciever is on the right and ESC on the left (i made a misstake).
I took the anti-roll bar off, made no difference.
i switched from green to blue springs and it didn't mather, but i also changed at the same time the camber to negative 1 (it was 1 and 2 positive on the rear). (I was measuring the camber and saw that it was way off!!)
So i'll try the green springs again.
It's better to change one thing at a time!!

Do i need to put some weight in the front, or move the LiPo to the front (so 2foam blocks in the rear)??

Thanks for the tips!! The wheater for this week will be okay so i can test it!!
I'll keep you informed!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by PartTime View Post
Sounds like balance and tweak are off. First find a rod that will span from the front tower to the rear tower. Slide it in there and put a bubble level on the servo. pick up the truck by the rod and add weight to the light side. After you have that make sure all your shocks match up. The front should be the same and the rear should be the same. When you have that done, with the car ready to go minus body, pick up the rear by the center of the tower. When you lower it both the rear tires should hit the same time. Do the same for the front. If its balanced left/right all four tires should hit at the same time. If they dont you have a twist in the chassis.

Try it after the rebalance. If it still pulls to the left then goto your local onroad place and see if you can use someones tweak board. They can help get the tweak set correctly. After that it should drive perfect.

HTH
DK
I made a mistake. The ESC is on the left and the reciever on the right.
So the left is 60 grams heavier.
But the most important thing is that i understand what you mean so i'm going to balance it. (nice and simple way to do it)
Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by POUNDITRACING View Post
Make sure that your links are all the same length. Just because you camber is right with the tire on dosen't meen that they are aligned correctly. Also check the car for slop. The reciever shoud be on the same side as the antenna mount.

Also you may find you have tweaked links or bent ball cups which you may not really notice without taking them off..but usually you can see they are tweaked when wrenching on them. Make sure your ball studs are not loose, I got longer ballstuds and put a nut on the other side to keep them locked down. tweaked links and loose ballstuds will cause camber inconsistencies throught the suspension travel....which could be why it's pullin to one side.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

as far as the whole tweak thing. ive never had a tweak issue with a offroad car..
as long as all the shocks are the same length and the droop is the same all around. your fine.. also be sure to set the shock preload the same..

are you bashing or racing? ]

just fyi the 7700 motor is nothing to sneeze at.. it has about 3 times the torque of a 3.5 novak.. so badly spinning tires sounds like the cause..
Old 03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I agree, a 7700kv motor is almost useless in a 2wd stadium truck unless there is a lot of traction.

Try adding some traction compound or even WD40 to the tires. If its cloudy and the temperature outside is under 60 degrees (F) the M2 Speed Hawgs wont have any grip.

Remove the roll bar.

You're probably also undergeared. The Speed Hawgs have a smaller diameter than off road tires. I would try a 17t pinion to see if that helps.

Most guys add a 100 grams or so to make the car easier to drive when they use lipos. Have you added any weight?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237 View Post
I agree, a 7700kv motor is almost useless in a 2wd stadium truck unless there is a lot of traction.

Try adding some traction compound or even WD40 to the tires. If its cloudy and the temperature outside is under 60 degrees (F) the M2 Speed Hawgs wont have any grip.

You're probably also undergeared. The Speed Hawgs have a smaller diameter than off road tires. I would try a 17t pinion to see if that helps.
A+ 7700 kv if you can turn radio 20% and it wont go out of control. and will still be stuped fast
Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

hell with a 5700 in a touring car on carpet with foam high traction it would still spin down the back straight..
Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What's the best way to fill the shocks? As it says in the instructions filling the cap and quickly putting it on (making a mess?)

Thanks guys

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.