Like Tree34Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Old 08-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Legend

Yes,Factory Team comes with a plastic chassis but the arm`s, tower`s,ect. are still graphite
Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PorTX View Post
Looking into a brushless system for the T4, I spotted this set-up. Would this be a good choice or is it better to stay with a brand like LRP or Novak??
http://cgi.ebay.com/SIDEWINDER-5700-...QQcmdZViewItem
Castle Creations has some great stuff, but Stormer Hobbies has a better price or that product.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=CCMM7703
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

ok so the new ftb4 come in black boxes... and the old ftb4s come in a red box?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up AE.......................IS THE KILLER OF ALL! B4 & B44..

old ftb4 came in an white box! New come in an black box with a red painted buggy on front!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The new pic on the box is of Neil Cragg's car.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

i have a few questions , i was messen with my b4 the other night , i put the 17/87 in it with 4400mah nimh's. i tightened the slipper according to the manual. i also tried holding both rear wheels and giving it some throttle but the front does not pick up easily. when i spin one rear wheel they spin in the same direction also. Is this normal ? , also when i actually drive the car on the ground it has power and i can get the rears to spin but it wont wheely for some reason. Any tips or suggestion's , is something wrong ? Thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Justpassedu View Post
i have a few questions , i was messen with my b4 the other night , i put the 17/87 in it with 4400mah nimh's. i tightened the slipper according to the manual. i also tried holding both rear wheels and giving it some throttle but the front does not pick up easily. when i spin one rear wheel they spin in the same direction also. Is this normal ? , also when i actually drive the car on the ground it has power and i can get the rears to spin but it wont wheely for some reason. Any tips or suggestion's , is something wrong ? Thanks
If your B-4 slipper pads are brand new you need to break them in..

Drive it around and let the slipper slip for a while..

Then readjust as the manual says...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Justpassedu View Post
i have a few questions , i was messen with my b4 the other night , i put the 17/87 in it with 4400mah nimh's.
What motor system are you using?

i also tried holding both rear wheels and giving it some throttle but the front does not pick up easily.
This could also be because the power system isn't strong enough? I'm not sure how it'll be with a Mamba 5700, but when I had a stock silver can 27t motor in my B4, it certainly didn't have enough torque to lift the front up.

when i spin one rear wheel they spin in the same direction also. Is this normal ?
Definitely not. Sounds like your diff isn't working correctly. Perhaps it's too tight? When you spin one wheel in the air, the motor shouldn't be turning much, and the other wheel should be spinning in the opposite direction if the differential is built properly.

Edit: Unless you have one of those motors that has little resistance to manual turning when it's off (brushless motors are like this, I guess)... Then you should block the motor pinion/spur gears from moving when you turn one wheel without much effort, the other wheel is supposed to turn in opposite direction.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Its a Mamba Max esc and mamba max 5700kv motor , The rear wheels have some resistance when i try to spin them and yes they both go in the same direction when spun. If i try to spin one wheel really hard (fast) i can get the other one to spin in the opposite direction but not much only for a second. I think the slipper may be making it do that(not sure). The pads are pretty much new i checked them yesterday when i changed the spur to an 87 and everything looked ok with the pads. maybe i should switch back to 21/81 gearing and try that but i dont wanna overheat the motor or esc. Anything else i should try out ? id really like to have this thing top notch for tomorrow for some bashing with friends. Thanks guy's .
Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When you spin a tire, while holding it in the air is the spur gear moving?

If it is, hold it still with your finger, now move one wheel, the other should go in the opposite way.

Paul
Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah if you're running brushless odds are the diff will stay put when you spin the tire because those things spin so freely off-power that the whole drivetrain will turn, & when you really yank on it the other side's only going to turn backwards for a second because all those gears need to start moving. Usually you can check the diff on a brushless car by pressing down hard enough on the top of the dust cover that it holds the spur gear in place (fairly simple with the stock cover, but the thicker RPM ones require some extra effort). It's been my experience with T4's that a well-built diff will spin maybe 2 to 3 times when you hold the spur gear & flick one of the back tires. 'Course, truck tires are quite a bit bigger & heavier than buggy tires, so figure (imagining in my head) 1 1/2 to 2 turns on a buggy. Either way, this also assumes you don't have the diff so loose that it slips.

And a 17/87 gear sounds REALLY short for a brushless, even 21 might be a little low (of course, it all depends on what kind of driving you're doing). I think a lot of the brushless guys that run by me are using upwards of 24 and 25 pinions.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

yes the spur moves when i spin a tire while holding it in the air. Do you think i should put the 81 spur back in with the 21pinion . Im gonna mostly be bashing with it . trying to beat my friends nitro . i was thinking of keeping the 87 spur and maybe going back to the 21 pinion. If i tighten the slipper down really tight is that bad for the car with a motor like this. if i remember correctly when i had the 21/81 in there it was pulling wheelies but getting pretty hot quickly so i dunno what to do here. im not an expert when it comes to the gears and spur setting so mostly any advice helps greatly and i appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Adding teeth to the spur gear shortens the ratio (more torque, less speed, can be hard on the transmission & axles)
Adding teeth to the pinion gear lengthens the ratio (more speed, less torque, extreme settings will overheat the motor)
Going one tooth on the pinion is more or less like going 4 teeth on the spur

A loose diff will make a chirp or a squeal, wheras a loose slipper will just whirr.

Another way to check the diff vs. slipper setting is to have someone hold the left rear in place while you hold tight onto the spur gear with your left hand & slowly rotate the right rear with your right hand.
If the slipper adjustment nut, spring, & input shaft turn with your hand, the slipper clutch is slipping (good)
If you turn the right rear and the nut stays put, the diff is slipping & either needs to be tightened or you need to loosen up the slipper.

If the motor's overheating with a short gear, you might have the mesh between the pinion & spur set too tight. On 48 pitch gears an old trick is to take a scrap of newspaper and pinch it between the gears, then tighten the motor screws & roll the paper out. I do it by eye: the spur gear should have about 1/3 the width of a tooth of free play
Old 08-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

there is a little free play between the pinion and spur not much but enough to rock the pinion a tiny bit back and fourth between the spur mesh. i put a piece of paper and ran it between the two gears and it crinkled it a lil bit but did not rip the paper. What kind of gearing do you think i should go with , on castles site they reccomend with a 6cell nimh to stick with the stock spur and go with a 18 -23t pinion . they say stock spur but also say on the chart that it is for a t4,rustler or xxx-t . i have a b4 so im assuming im ok with the 87spur since thats whats stock on the t4 , i do have an 81 also though. ill check the spur again tonight also with your test. What do you think about the gearing and what they say ?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Honestly, IMO gearing is totally personal preference. It all has to do with the size of the track or area that you're running in, you'd want to gear different if you're bashing on asphalt & hard dirt or thick grass & sand, how much power your battery & ESC can feed the motor, how free your drivetrain is, and most of all how hard you want to push your equipment & what you're capable of driving. Like the old saying goes, speed is nothing without control. I'm sure there's a lot of 8 year old kids out there who dream about driving a Ferrari, but would actually letting them do it be a good idea? You just have to experiment, ask other people who you drive there with (someone a few hundred miles away on a forum isn't going to know what running there is like), and keep messing with it until you're comfortable.

I know that's kindof a non-answer but it's really the right way to do it. Looking at the choices you've already got, with 2 pinions & 2 spurs that are quite a ways apart from each other, I'd say split the differences and pick up a 19 pinion and/or 84 spur, and keep mixing & matching those against what you've already got.

Last edited by OTE_TheMissile; 08-08-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.