Like Tree34Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Old 07-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
I have broken 2 towers.... in 1 month.....
never broke the front shock tower

Did you try the composite one??
Old 07-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Since I've used both front towers I'll chime in here.

The KFactory front tower seems to be made with a not-100% rigid resin which allows it to flex and stay in a tweaked position somewhat like aluminum. Now, this is one of the early ones that they made so they could have addressed this by now but that's my experience with that specific one. I never broke it and still have it as a spare in my parts box.

The carbon Associated front tower has broken only when I lawn darted upside down into the face of the end of a 30 foot triple. The shock tower was the only thing that made contact with the ground initially and it snapped on side completely and the other side fractured. Both shock shafts were bent and I think a hinge pin as well. Aside from that, in however many years since the B4 was introduced that's the only tower I've broken.

RB FIVE: Where on the track and how is the tower being broken?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Legend

Default Not EVER !!!!

My brand new B-4 has never broken one part yet ......
Old 07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have raced b4's for a couple of years now and have found the shock towers to be fine. I am pretty sure I have broken a couple, but then I have broken just about everything on the car at least once.

I don't see the need for an aftermarket replacement, but fair play to those that do.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Let's just say that in practice I do my best to drive the car on the ragged edge. Which means that I am trying to clear all jumps, since the track I race at is fairly loose it means that the buggy is not always square to the jump when jumping. Front shock towers, rear right a-arms and wing mounts seem to be the most common broken parts at our track with the B4. Since I have never broke a front tower on either my bj4 or b44 at my track (I don't double up either) I decided to look for a woven carbon fiber tower for my B4.

Yes, I have tried both the carbon and plastic versions of the front towers. My experience is that the plastic versions will take one or two hard hits then break when you think it shouldn't. The carbon towers, while they won't stand up to a very hard hit, don't stress like the plastic ones, so they are able to take the same hit over and over again.

If the k factory towers don't work that well, then I am out $20. I was out more than that when I bought the x-6 conversion last year that didn't work at my track. Another part that is very finicky with me is the rear inner hinge pins. Anyone know of a good choice there? I know lunsford makes some, but they came with the x-6 conversion, and I bent one of those the first day I drove it, and no, I didn't break an arm to do it. Same thing with the b44, I go through rear inner hinge pins like crazy, and I haven't even broken a rear arm on that yet.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well good luck. If you do find some report back and let us know how they work out.

One thing that you may want to look at is drawing up your own and getting it custom cut by a shop. You can get a sheet of carbon fiber and probably make 5 or so towers for the cost of buying one tower online.

Paul
Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

One thing i have learned from my years of racing....if you're not squared up on the jump, then don't try to land a 30ft tripple..... you're best to just roll the jump...only take jumps when you are squared up...you'll be alot faster. I haven't ever had problems with shock towers on any of my AE cars.... sounds to me like you need to take it a little easier with the throttle then try to find a non existing stronger shock tower.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AssocRacer View Post
...only take jumps when you are squared up...you'll be alot faster.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

sounds to me like you need to take it a little easier with the throttle then try to find a non existing stronger shock tower.

"Doctor, I feel a sharp pain in my eye every time I poke it with my finger. Can you help me?"

"Sure, just wear these safety goggles for a few weeks and let me know if the pain returns. You can leave your copay with the front desk."
Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr Mamba View Post
never broke the front shock tower

Did you try the composite one??
Yes i have broken one of each. One at LIR on the triple slow car in front on the start was just so slow going to the triple to double single tapped him in the air and landed nose down and heard a noise of dying plastic continued the
heat dicing with vin nocella's losi the whole qualifier..... fuggin dialed. I saved that shock tower.

This saturday at the regionals i broke a plastic one somewhere on the track.... i continued running it in practice though cause it was stil kinda together and after my first experience i knew it was defintly drivable. Why break another.

Originally Posted by adam lancia View Post

RB FIVE: Where on the track and how is the tower being broken?
10 ft. triple at home and somewhere at the family hobbies track. I also broke a ti-tierod and a aluminum wheel axle too at family hobbies. Brutal track big air...= broken parts

They break guys, it is the only thing i broke at my home track. It's plastic they will break.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

One thing i have learned from my years of racing....if you're not squared up on the jump, then don't try to land a 30ft tripple..... you're best to just roll the jump...only take jumps when you are squared up...you'll be alot faster. I haven't ever had problems with shock towers on any of my AE cars.... sounds to me like you need to take it a little easier with the throttle then try to find a non existing stronger shock tower.
I post one thing that has broke a shock tower, and now I need to learn to drive. Okay, what do I do to drive better when someone lands on top of me and breaks my shock tower? Yep, that has happened too. How about when I get taken out by a person who doesn't shut down in the corner and it flips me and breaks a shock tower? How about when someone spins out at the beginning of the sweeper right in front of me and it breaks a shock tower? Surely all of these things can't be attributed to bad driving. And like I said, it is not just me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the buggy or the quality of it. I really like the B4, point of fact I just bought a brand new FTB4 last week because the one I bought 3 years ago had just about had it. Had I thought the quality or the car was junk I would have bought something else last week.

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
"Doctor, I feel a sharp pain in my eye every time I poke it with my finger. Can you help me?"

"Sure, just wear these safety goggles for a few weeks and let me know if the pain returns. You can leave your copay with the front desk."
While to you this may seem funny, to me it is baiting and offensive. Please in the future refrain from posting such facetious and sarcastic comments.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

^^^ "He don't know me very well, do he?"
Old 07-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys I'm just getting into offroad racing. I have a B4 and running a brushless (Tekin) and 10.5 motor. In your opion what is the best LiPo for this application? So far I like the orion 3600
Old 07-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Orion is the best choice available right now in my opinion. No need for anymore Mah and it is a 25c. The 3800 should be better when it hits the shelves though, it a 30c
Old 07-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Originally Posted by beyondthepack View Post
Hey guys I'm just getting into offroad racing. I have a B4 and running a brushless (Tekin) and 10.5 motor. In your opion what is the best LiPo for this application? So far I like the orion 3600
Personally I like the SMC 4000's or the Tekin 3400, both of which I currently run and have TQ'd and won with both at big events, the SMC seems to have more punch but I like the Tekin 3400 when I run a hotter motor to keep the wheel spin to a min.

P.S. both of which we do have in stock and the Orion 30c's are on order

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.