Like Tree34Likes

RC10B4/T4 Forum

Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I just bought a lipo balancer....enough guys at my track convinced me so...we'll see what happens, I've only hears great things about balancing Lipo packs so...my-as-well
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The way it was explained to me:

You want to balance when the pack has been run, either before charging, or even better, during. A balancer just evens out the cells in a pack identically so when fully charged one won't peak before the other giving you maximum performance. Balancers aren't supposed to increase performance really. Balancers ensure absolute capacity, in theory, expanding longevity by bringing all cells up to full capacity evenly. I use the Trakpower inline/ standalone balancer. The picture that used to be provided with the balancer BTW shows an incorrect way of hooking up the unit incorrectly for inline balancing. I don't know if they revised the included documentation or not.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JeromeB View Post
All my charging gear is LRP, Pulsar 3's and 14A psu, great stuff the Pulsar is my all time favourite charger.

How often do you find you need to balance the Orion packs? Im deciding wether or not I should get one of the Trakpower balancers for my 4800's
Gotta love the good stuff. There are guys using the same lipos that have never balanced them. They have been using their packs for 6 or so months so I'm not sure you absolutely HAVE to balance but... you want a balancer... bottom line. You want those cells hooked up in parallel to be exactly even. Kind of like buying matching cells for Nimh. The Trakpower is an excellent unit. I am using one in the picture in my previous post. It can do up to six cell packs, used as a standalone unit, or inline while charging. The balancer is a direct connect to Orions packs with nothing additional needed, unlike maxaamp's lipos, which need another harness. This unit works in perfect harmony with the Pulsar 3's.

Last edited by Crashtest1; 01-04-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im planning on rebuilding part of my car tomorrow. Any tips on how to clean the pieces.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

I can see the difference right away with my balancer...I hooked mine up to balance WHILE it charges....9/10 times my lipo will take 830+/- 20mah after a 5 min qual...every time. I just did my first try with my new balancer and the pack just took 1100mah!!! I'm sold right there....I'm now reaching the full capacity potential of my pack....sweet!

A few guys at my track say they felt an instant difference in the power output of their car after the first balance....car felt much punchier" they said...I'm not expecting a ton of extra power, but I figure the less small things wrong with the car (such as a battery) the less I can blame the car for my poor driving
Old 01-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stevier View Post
Im planning on rebuilding part of my car tomorrow. Any tips on how to clean the pieces.
Simple green and warm water for the plastics, brake cleaner or some sort of metal cleaner for the metal parts. Careful with the metal parts/brake cleaner as some of them eat plastic.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashtest1 View Post
Gotta love the good stuff...
Originally Posted by mafiaracers View Post
I can see the difference right away...
I have 2 Orion packs and Ive had them for a couple months, I think 3 race days on each pack. Checked the cells and they are still exactly the same. Not sure what they will be like in the next 6 months though.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

well that's just it....I have about 3 months of Thursday practice days and Friday club races with re-peaks after each run so....my one pack has seen a lot of action.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

I use motorspray for internals. except in shocks- o rings wear premature. Outside try simple green or motorspray... then follow with a paintbrush lightly coated with wd40.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mafiaracers View Post
I can see the difference right away with my balancer...I hooked mine up to balance WHILE it charges....9/10 times my lipo will take 830+/- 20mah after a 5 min qual...every time. I just did my first try with my new balancer and the pack just took 1100mah!!! I'm sold right there....I'm now reaching the full capacity potential of my pack....sweet!

A few guys at my track say they felt an instant difference in the power output of their car after the first balance....car felt much punchier" they said...I'm not expecting a ton of extra power, but I figure the less small things wrong with the car (such as a battery) the less I can blame the car for my poor driving
It's not only to keep your batteries "out of the box" fresh. It is a good way of taking care of your gear that you spent countless dollars on. It is $50, that's the cost of a raceday and fresh set of tires, or a video game. Keep your electron fed cells in prime condition. Did the guys that said they felt an instant difference happen to run their packs for a while before their first balance? That might make a monster difference. I have balanced a 2 month old lipo before that didn't need balancing nor was it ever balanced.

If cell one is at 40% and two is at 50%, just for example I believe in not taking a lipo down more than 6.5v, then when fully charged cell one will be at 80% capacity and cell two will kick the charger into cc/cv when cell two hits 100%. Cell 1 80% 2 100%. Let your pack get this unbalanced and you will see a huge difference after balancing.

Last edited by Crashtest1; 01-04-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Pledge.....

yeah the wood cleaner. after the simple green/water combo and after its dry. I use this instead of wd40. the pledge has a wax in it so things(dirt) don't stick to it.....works good for me. for best results after each round of racing hit your rag with pledge and do a quick once over the car; chassis, body, arms, any and everything you can get your rag into. blow it off first of course.....but yeah you get the idea...........

Pledge....it even smells good!!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Crashtest1 View Post
I use motorspray for internals. except in shocks- o rings wear premature.
Me and the fat girlfriend put shock o-rings in motor spray and then sell them at sex toy parties. Try it.....Put some motor spray in the cap and drop old o-rings in there. Wait a heat or so and look how big they get.

A friend sprayed a Losi shock from the outside and it blew the cartridge apart
Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will the B3 Turnbuckles (2.06") work the the B4????
Old 01-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

If anyone is in need of a diff rebuild, we have made a diff rebuild kit with our Thrust Bearing and Ceramic Balls at a low cost..

Just wanted to let you all know so you can save some money

http://www.axiommotors.com/hop-ups-c-100.html
Old 01-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Hey guys just got done with my T4 build and I seem to be having some binding or something in my steering servo. The servo is a brand new spektrum metal gear servo and it turns one side a bit more than the other. I cant see it hitting anything or binding on anything so I am confused. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.