Wiki Posts
Search

Dirt inside of tires.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Dirt inside of tires.

I've searched long and hard for a solution to this and I cannot seem to find anything.

I have an E-Revo Brushless Edition and a rustler vxl. Lately I've been running in very very loose dirt at a construction site near my house. While it's a blast running in that and making the big dust cloud I recently noticed that my trucks are handling terribly.

Upon further research I found that my tires have tons of this loose dirt and pebbles inside making them horribly unbalanced. My E-Revo shakes violently if I hold it by the bumper and goose the throttle. I assume this is getting in through the vent holes around the inside of the rim.

Has anyone ever heard of this or have a possible solution? I managed to boil off a couple of the affected tires on the rustler and get the dirt out but I have my doubts about trying to boil off the stock E-Revo wheels because of the Traxxas style bead.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

put a couple small holes in the rubber...down the centerline of the tire...should alow the dirt to shoot out when driven...
Old 06-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt M.
put a couple small holes in the rubber...down the centerline of the tire...should alow the dirt to shoot out when driven...
I had considered this, my only concern was the hole would tear out and cause even bigger headaches but now I see it's a pretty common thing, thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I do this all the time with SC tires and never hava had one blow out. Im not saying it wont happen but this is done in 1/8 scale all the time without issue. Make a 4 clean holes with a sharp bit trying not to damage inserts if possible.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Now that your tires are mounted the best way to make these holes is probably with a small snip/diagonal plier. You'll want to pinch the tire up away from the foam so you don't accidentally poke a hole in the foam (cut the foam and it will probably tear and bunch up). If you have holes on the inside of the rim, plug them, they are the culprit. When the tires are new I punch my holes with a cheap leather punch I got at Harbor Freight for a few bucks. Works perfect (works on leather too! ).
Old 06-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great! Thanks for all the replies gents!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i dont follow the rc rules for wheels.

i glue the tires to the beads on the rims, and seal them down well. i also use shoo goo and seal the holes in the rims. if you look closely. nearly all rc rims have breather holes in them. this allows dirt and water in. yes you can put holes in the tires to allow it to EVENTUALLY fall out. but the dirt and water KILL the foams over time. make a mess for maintenance time, and generally make dealing with wheels a PITA>

worst of All. your wheels will always get out of balance from water, dirt or both getting inside.

seal the rim holes. dont put any holes into the tires. and glue that tire to the rim all the way around.

if your using bead lock rims, better yet. use some silicone caulk and seal the tire to the rim, the the bead ring to the tire.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmahh
i dont follow the rc rules for wheels.

i glue the tires to the beads on the rims, and seal them down well. i also use shoo goo and seal the holes in the rims. if you look closely. nearly all rc rims have breather holes in them. this allows dirt and water in. yes you can put holes in the tires to allow it to EVENTUALLY fall out. but the dirt and water KILL the foams over time. make a mess for maintenance time, and generally make dealing with wheels a PITA>

worst of All. your wheels will always get out of balance from water, dirt or both getting inside.

seal the rim holes. dont put any holes into the tires. and glue that tire to the rim all the way around.

if your using bead lock rims, better yet. use some silicone caulk and seal the tire to the rim, the the bead ring to the tire.

Seriously ? You must vent either the tire or the wheel otherwise when you run the car the tire will expand and suck air into it from any little crack in the bead where the glue didnt get to and the air will be trapped in the tire causing it to balloon up and stay that way till the air escapes .

I vent both the tire and the wheel , as long as you dont make straight cuts in the tire it wont rip , like Davidka said use a punch or like I do heat up a small sized allen wrench (a cheapie L wrench will do) and melt the hole in the tire (try not to go into the insert too far) .
Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

if you glue it well, its never an issue. been doing it like this for years.

besides, put enough rpms to any wheel, it ll balloon. fact of rotational mass (much), out weighing structural strength (low) of the rubber/synthetic compound the tire is made out of. add water and dirt to your foams, which is pushed to the outside of the rotation, ie between the foam and the tire, and ballooning increases. I ll take the air anyday. but if you seal the bead well, keep the air pressure nuetral inside the tire (hint: seal the hole in the inside of the rim Last, and let it dry well before running), then ballooning is kept down due to the vacuum created in the wheel as the tire tries to balloon from rotational force, it creates a vacuum inside, which actually helps to counteract the ballooning.

i know its counter intuitive to the RC world, but it works non the less.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Absolutely vent your tires and seal the rims. I had a set of tires that seemed to be really heavy, they were old so I punched a hole in the tread and could not believe the amount of dirt that came out. Needless to say the foams were toast. You must vent the tire somehow though, they will hold air if not and balloon up, and stay ballooned for the entire run. Ruining the performance. We get a chuckle at the track when we see someone who hasn't vented their tires, carrying their balloon tired 8th scale back to the pit after a run.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjwilly
Absolutely vent your tires and seal the rims. I had a set of tires that seemed to be really heavy, they were old so I punched a hole in the tread and could not believe the amount of dirt that came out. Needless to say the foams were toast. You must vent the tire somehow though, they will hold air if not and balloon up, and stay ballooned for the entire run. Ruining the performance. We get a chuckle at the track when we see someone who hasn't vented their tires, carrying their balloon tired 8th scale back to the pit after a run.
EXACTLY !
Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Even if it weren't for the ballon effect, wouldn't the tires be really bouncy without venting?

BTW, If you race very hardpack/bluegroove/indoor with traction compounds the you should vent the rim not the tire to prevent traction sauce from eating your foam. These tracks are clean enough to not worry about loose dirt getting into the tire from the inside of the rim.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

Seriously ? You must vent either the tire or the wheel otherwise when you run the car the tire will expand and suck air into it from any little crack in the bead where the glue didnt get to and the air will be trapped in the tire causing it to balloon up and stay that way till the air escapes .

I vent both the tire and the wheel , as long as you dont make straight cuts in the tire it wont rip , like Davidka said use a punch or like I do heat up a small sized allen wrench (a cheapie L wrench will do) and melt the hole in the tire (try not to go into the insert too far) .
I saw this happen to a rookie a while ago...His left rear tire ballooned up and we discovered he hadn't drilled holes in his rims before gluing...It was pretty funny looking, but we lent him a reamer and got the problem fixed...