Anybody know how to fix parachute?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody know how to fix parachute?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

Default Anybody know how to fix parachute?

I see alot of people hacking up their bodies on the short course trucks, it probably does work. What are the places of structrual integrity where you should probably not cut? I am planning to hack up my hpi blitz stock body, so any tips would be apreciated.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i think theres a body out now called the flotec that has the air vents built into it .. other wise i think some round holes in a few choice places would do the tric
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

On a 2wd truck you are pretty much at the mercy of the wind. That said, I have large holes behind the cab on mine to let air pass through, and also cut the entire area out by the rear bumper and the taillights. Use some shoe goo and cotton gauze to reinforce the area as its prone to cracking there anyway.

The most important aspect to jumping though is your throttle input leaving the face of a jump. Too much and it will parachute regardless of the wind, not enough and your truck will nose hard or go end over end.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Check your local rules before cutting up a body too much. If they state you can only cut what is molded into the body or clearly marked as a vent, you'll basically need to buy the Proline Flotek body.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I found the simplest option seems to work best. Cut out the side windows. There's plenty of space to let all the excess air out, its a molded area so you don't weaken it too much, and none of the tracks I've raced had have objected.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've seen some of the Pros make small cut-outs in the cowling (just in front of the windshield).
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the Losi stock bodys have 7 holes about 3/8th in size accross the front windscreen and two larger vent holes about 1 1/2 inches in size on the back to cut out

plus a number of smaller holes on the rear bumper marked for cutting if you want to go to that extreme
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I was thinking about this the other day. Hold your truck as if it's taking off the lip of a jump and moving through the air. I think holes in the back defeat the purpose. Holes in the hood or front fenders would make sense to me. You want to keep the front end from lifting, not the rear. Anyway, something to think about.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

thanks guys
Old 06-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

The proline Ford raptor has front and rear vents that let the air slip out. But like what was mentioned before, it's all about throttle control.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can have all the best throttle control in the world, but it won't do you much good on large outdoor tracks. Coming down off of big air and it just piles up in the body of my XXX-SCT.

Took off the rear mud flaps and that helped a little. I reamed out large holes in the back and it helped some more. Reamed the holes out of the Losi front windshield and it was a little better still. Removed the side windows and now it can launch the big jumps good.