R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   RC10GT Stinger Exhaust Experience? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/52591-rc10gt-stinger-exhaust-experience.html)

Ducati-Rider 10-12-2004 10:09 AM

RC10GT Stinger Exhaust Experience?

Guys

Been running my RC10GT and Losi XXXNT on a paved road course.

The exhaust residue really mucks up the rear tire and causes
the rear to slide and step out.

Maybe the mudders don't have this problem as the mud and dust washes away the oil muck, but this is a roadie problem.

Has anyone tried the Stinger MIP pipe kit that routes the exhaust
over the back - it basically replaces the side pipe and runs the muffler out through the rear shock tower ????

What kind of tires do you mount up for trucks on asphalt?
I'm thinking the studs wear off and it turns into a slick,,,,which
doesn't help either.

:tire: :tire: :tire: :tire: :tire: :confused:

beetlebz 10-12-2004 04:05 PM

ive run the truck on pavement, and ive run the truck with a stinger 360 lol

i used speed hawgs all around, they hold a line really well, but only on really smooth asphault. if its old and pitted asphault, or it has alot of cracks it slips out really easy. but i only played in parking lots, never raced.

the stinger 360 kit is nice, but its horrible for any jumping (which id imagine is rare in street racing) because the truck almost always noses up reguardless of throttle input. it also pees on your shoes or pants when you pick it up from the front shock tower. also, you need a new rear shock tower thats made to have a pipe sticking through it. it probably comes with the kit, but i dont know. i didnt like it though. it also made changing the batteries a nasty deal because the oily dirt build up you get around your exhaust tip, winds up all over the rear bumper (batteries). oh, and if you spin out and hit somthing backwards, or land a jump on your ass it stalls it. but those are mostly problems i had in the dirt. im sure the car will stay cleaner on the road lol

so for your application it may work great. i changed back to a side pipe after about 2 weeks.

jbrow1 10-12-2004 04:46 PM

I run the stinger and race off-road with a GT. At first I wasn't impressed with it. I still wouldn't say it impresses me, but I've grown to really like it. Just wouldn't say there is a performance gain.

That said I like blowing the gunk out the back, beeing different, and a little different sound. I cut about 1/4 inch off the manifold, and about an 1/8 off the pipe. I didn't like how it would stick out so far stock. This way it tucks up nicely. No problems with plugging it with dirt at all. Only had a marshall stall it once. I'm going to cut a relief angle on the bottom of the stinger to eliminate that.

The shock tower comes with the kit. At Tower anyhow. Only problems I've had is the coupler coming sliding off. Flared the ends, and zip tie real good and no more probs. If you don't shorten it, probably not have to bother.

I really like the setup, just don't think it's worth the full price. If you can find one on ebay, good deal then.

beetlebz 10-12-2004 04:54 PM

yeah that was the worst part. spinning out and having the pipe come flying off. flaring and zip tying did ok, but if i hit somthing it would still come off. im MUCH happer with the wire post mounting system on my side pipe.

i have a pipe and manifold, but not the shock tower. id offer to sell em but im not 100% sure you can buy JUST the shock tower. take a look around. if you can get your hands on a shock tower for it, email me at [email protected] and we can chat :)

jbrow1 10-12-2004 05:51 PM

I also made an aluminum standoff for mine. The fiber one broke. Mine has taken a severe beating on some 1/8 scale tracks, and held up great! A longer coupler would be nice, but till then it works good.

You can get just the shock tower at tower, or direct from mip. I got mine from MIP b/c tower only sells the old style gt shock tower seperately. But if you want for a Losi, shouldn't have that problem.

beetlebz 10-12-2004 05:54 PM

oh i should also mention, it beefs up top end power, so you get going a little faster down long straights. BUT the cost is it tends to suck some bottom end.

Tabushi 10-22-2004 01:09 PM

The 360 stinger affects too much on the jumping ??? for RACING ?

AE Racer 10-22-2004 01:23 PM

Just get an exaust deflector, its a $2-3 solution to your problem. Its a bent rubber tube that mounts over the stinger on your pipe and extends farther away from the car to prevent oil for getting on the tire. Just search for Exaust Deflector on tower hobbies and you'll get pictures which will help you get a better idea of what it is.

jbrow1 10-22-2004 04:33 PM

The 360 stinger affects too much on the jumping ??? for RACING ?
That's really a myth. I never have problems with jumping. Some say it will get plugged with dirt if you land badly on the rear. Well, if you land that badly, with a GT you'll probably break the batt holder anyhow. I cut my manifold & pipe so it would not stick out so far. To me, I don't notice any power gains or losses. I do like running and racing with the stinger pipe.

Just get an exaust deflector, its a $2-3 solution to your problem. Its a bent rubber tube that mounts over the stinger on your pipe and extends farther away from the car to prevent oil for getting on the tire. Just search for Exaust Deflector on tower hobbies and you'll get pictures which will help you get a better idea of what it is.
I'd say anybody who dislikes the stuff on the body so much as to get an exhaust rubber should stay away from racing. Unless it's on-road. I think those are pretty silly for a car that's meant to play in the dirt. And I'd imagine they would cut the exhaust off and cause a stall as often or more than a stinger pipe. Whether they'd stay on a whole race, I don't know. I got a stinger just to try b/c it was cheap. I wouldn't recommend somebody to go drop 40 bux on one at Tower though. They just aren't worth it. But if you can find one cheap on ebay, or you just want to be different go out and get one!!