Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is there any durable and not so expensive 1/8 buggy? >

Is there any durable and not so expensive 1/8 buggy?

Is there any durable and not so expensive 1/8 buggy?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Default Is there any durable and not so expensive 1/8 buggy?

I'm in the way for an 1/8 E-buggy. Will use it for racing and a little bashing.

I need it to be strong but not as expensive as Xray and Mugen, is this actually possible?

Here are my needs:
- need to be able to run my 2S 5000mah saddle packs in it
- cheap parts
- durable

I like narrow buggies like the NEXX8, VE8 HHH, TQ SX8E, Caster Racing EX1R etc.. But I just don't want to put another 150 bucks to make it reliable. I had a converted Mugen MBX5R and Xray 808 and I almost never broke anything on them but today I can't throw 450$ in a roller.

I would like to race a 10h endurance soon so no way the durability can be an issue for me, this is my very first concern

If you have any suggestion..
Old 06-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ofna Ultra LX-1e $189 roller.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

caster fusion ex1.5r
Old 06-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by teknic View Post
Ofna Ultra LX-1e $189 roller.
yea a buddy of mine had the nitro lx-1 and that thing seemed indestructable. Ran it into everything at full speed even a landscape timber buried vertically. Nothing broke! His car sold me on ofna's quality. Def easy on the wallet too.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Champion

Is the LX1E stronger than the NEXX8? I'm going to race as often as possible, do you think the LX1E would keep up?

I thought about Caster also but I doubt the parts are available in Europe. It's the equivalent of Hobbytech here if I think
Old 06-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Another great thing about the OFNA LX1e is that it has a bunch of option parts. It can also easly be converted to and on-road car since the shares the same suspension and chassis with the late model and the GTP2e. Tough, cheap and fun.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
Is the LX1E stronger than the NEXX8? I'm going to race as often as possible, do you think the LX1E would keep up?

I thought about Caster also but I doubt the parts are available in Europe. It's the equivalent of Hobbytech here if I think
I too would like to hear more opinions between the two as well as I have been seriously contemplating buying the nexx8 myself. Performance for the money seems like u cant go wrong unless im just totally missing something.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

The thing is I really think you don't need to pay 500$ bucks to have a good roller nowadays so why do it? I'm not a pro driver, I drive decent but have a lot to learn so I just need the roller to be durable and easy to work on/ set up.

Power isn't a problem either as I'll run brushless. You can be just as fast with an hobbywing and turnigy lipos than with Plasma monster and maxamps or whatever, the driver makes it all.

I know OFNA is easy to find locally for me and I actually like the brand spirit (cheap yet strong). Just have to find out which one between LX1E/NEXX8/9E would finally be the cheapest to be durable and competitive on a track, I mean including the upgrades needed.

Any other alternative is welcome of course
Old 06-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I've reconciled with 1/8th kit cost over the past few years (except Kyosho, no value there..). While you can find $299 kits that perform decently, guys usually spend the difference to something like a MBX6 in hop-ups and replacement parts from wear (CVD's gears) in a season. As always, parts availability is important if something breaks or falls off (it happens..) it's tough to wait a long time for a fix.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
I've reconciled with 1/8th kit cost over the past few years (except Kyosho, no value there..). While you can find $299 kits that perform decently, guys usually spend the difference to something like a MBX6 in hop-ups and replacement parts from wear (CVD's gears) in a season. As always, parts availability is important if something breaks or falls off (it happens..) it's tough to wait a long time for a fix.
I totally agree with you in the long term but to me it's not a problem to replace parts when they wear if they're cheap. I just don't want a car that need expensive upgrades (=optional parts) to be strong and not break in every race . Availability is about the same for Mugen and OFNA for me . Would you rather take an used MBX6 than a new 300$ chassis? Is there actually anything as durable as the Mugen on the market?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Buy something used. There's always great deals on rctech or local forums. Both of my 1/8 scales I got used.

I bought a used Ve8 (excellent shape) with a tekno v4 conversion, tekno traktion drive, 3 turnigy 4s 4500mah lipos, 1 3s 5100mah lipo, 3 practically new bodies, and 3 sets of tires. All that for $280

Just wait for the right deal and jump on it.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xDIEGOx View Post
Buy something used. There's always great deals on rctech or local forums. Both of my 1/8 scales I got used.

I bought a used Ve8 (excellent shape) with a tekno v4 conversion, tekno traktion drive, 3 turnigy 4s 4500mah lipos, 1 3s 5100mah lipo, 3 practically new bodies, and 3 sets of tires. All that for $280

Just wait for the right deal and jump on it.
You read in my mind . I think there is no other way to go if I want something cheap and durable. Actually I always bought my buggy used also but I need this buggy relatively fast now so the wait is hard . Do you have any other place to find good priced buggies other than rctech? Here in Belgium everything is too expensive, even on the web.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

No hop ups required for the Caster at all.

Shipping from the US isn't so bad either if you order a few parts at a time. Don't order just a hub or a wing, etc..... as shipping then does get expensive. Small parts after the initial shipping cost literally cost pennies since most have no weight to them.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Just saw this and had to come back.

NEXX 8

Get this, with the money you saved you can get the motor and speed control too.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

cheap
fast
durable

pick 2...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service