Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What are people looking for in an entry level motor and esc? >

What are people looking for in an entry level motor and esc?

What are people looking for in an entry level motor and esc?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SC_RAGE View Post
Yea 4 poles arent cheap to make and in order to keep the cost of the combo low I think the esc suffered. IMO
Most certainly, and I believe Castle themselves have said so.

But if tenshock can make those giant 4 and 6 poles for retail of under $60 or so, clearly it can be done. The esc wouldn't need to be fancy, just good.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

A 17.5 motor that will keep up with the Tekin but that only cost about 100$ for motor and esc.

Actually I just wish my rtr sc10 would have come with a motor that I could run in the stock class (17.5 turn ) and would be close to as fast as the expensive 17.5 turn motor people were running.

Last edited by 5VoltDetonator; 06-13-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I think you need to figure out what class most new people in RC are buying. Im guessing 2 or 4 wheel SCT. So I would think you would need to make something to push them. I agree with a 4 pole motor equal to the Castle 3800 and sensored if possible. Also as a new person in the hobby they want a good warranty. As they have most likely read horror stories of ESC blowing up. Maybe even offer an extended warranty plan for a few extra bucks. I think you need a speedo that can handle 3s and a motor that can push a SCT to good speed without heat. Of course price is going to need to be under 150.00 I think.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by lowroad View Post
Most certainly, and I believe Castle themselves have said so.

But if tenshock can make those giant 4 and 6 poles for retail of under $60 or so, clearly it can be done. The esc wouldn't need to be fancy, just good.
Those motor are still to new to speculate if they really are good quality. Plus none are roar legal, for bashers they are great.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SCTRacerX View Post
I think you need to figure out what class most new people in RC are buying. Im guessing 2 or 4 wheel SCT. So I would think you would need to make something to push them. I agree with a 4 pole motor equal to the Castle 3800 and sensored if possible. Also as a new person in the hobby they want a good warranty. As they have most likely read horror stories of ESC blowing up. Maybe even offer an extended warranty plan for a few extra bucks. I think you need a speedo that can handle 3s and a motor that can push a SCT to good speed without heat. Of course price is going to need to be under 150.00 I think.
I would say that the class isn't really a factor, more like the function and user friendly aspect is more what a rtr class setup is aimed at. IMO
For example, most new people to the hobby but a rtr and what do they usually buy first. Either a battery upgrade or motor and esc. And they usually want castle. no soldering, no sensor, easy operation.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

I think something in the $100-125 price range, 17.5 motor, and meet spec rules. As a step up from rtr I think simple brake adjustment and maybe able to switch and add a little boost for bashing. If you could make it so it easily is able to switch from a spec racing program to a second with mild boost without a laptop it would be about perfect. Water proof would be nice too. I think the simpler the better!!

That is what I am looking for now!

hope this helps
Mark
Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Stock class motors

Sunday I was down at the track melting my old 27t brushed motors in the 2wd SC class. I am shopping for a $100 brushless combo.

I need a sensored ESC which can run 17.5 timing/no timing with a reverse lockout, or no reverse.
Sunday the classes were bunched together because of a low to moderate turn out, and versatility is important to me. If it could support an 8.5 turn motor it would be aces.

Personally after shopping for a race ready ESC I have seen that the basher's are very well represented in the marketplace.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

For the RTR market I think the following are key.
  • Affordable
  • Durable
  • Easy to install
  • No soldering

Most of the bashers want to go very fast and that is why Castle appeals to them. They (the bashers) see their buddy's with a wild 3S setup and 60+MPH and want that. If the ESC/Motor combo came with a sensorless motor to keep the price down but the ESC was sensored then there is a great upgrade path if the bashers ever decide to race.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

90.00 dollar sensored motor,60a esc and program card

$40.00 4pole motor

Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If being waterproof is important, doesn't that rule out a sensored motor in the package? Isn't the sensor board usually damaged by water?
If durability is important, eliminating the sensor board and wiring harness can only improve that part of the durability equation.
A nonsensored 540 sized motor in a couple of kv choices, and an esc which can handle both sensored (for future upgrading) and nonsensored motors up to about 6000kv, with simple programming.
Sounds like Castle Creations is almost there already.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Reliable and smooth. Waterproof is for boating. A sensored combo that is under $125 and is usb programmable. Offer multiple winds and pole options.