Wiki Posts
Search

electric clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default electric clutch question

I'm converting my 8 2.0 to electric. I'm prob going with the cc 2200 motor esc combo. I don't know much about electric and didn't know if I needed some kind of clutch system or just go direct drive. Can I do enough adjusting with the throtle curve to make it driveable on a relatively low traction track. Keep in mind I'm a rookie and don't have a lot of driving skill.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone, anyone
Old 06-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lawnmowerjockey
I'm converting my 8 2.0 to electric. I'm prob going with the cc 2200 motor esc combo. I don't know much about electric and didn't know if I needed some kind of clutch system or just go direct drive. Can I do enough adjusting with the throtle curve to make it driveable on a relatively low traction track. Keep in mind I'm a rookie and don't have a lot of driving skill.

Thanks
Depending on which ESC you go with will dictate how much control you have over timing/throttle profiles/punch control/current limiter, etc...suffice it to say you do not even need to consider a clutch for your 1/8th eBuggy setup. Most of the better quality 1/8th ESC's on the market today provide input for all the major facets of programming. Stick with Tekin or CC and you'll be fine and have tons of options available to you.

The big thing to remember when equipping your 1/8th eBuggy is that there is such a thing as too much powa'. Choose the right power plant for your buggy either a 1900kv or 2050/2200 and you'll be just fine and have gobs of power. The next thing to address will be your batteries. DO NOT select a pack with less than a 45C rating. The power demands of your system are immense and if your pack can't supply the required amperage over a sustained period of time then your just throwing your money away on it. I learned this the hard way with a set of Thunderpower 25c sport packs, poof is all I can say. Most of the ESC/Battery manufacturers do a poor job of stressing the importance of adequate energy supply.

I hope this helps you out, but please feel free to pm me if you have any additional questions.

As for my setup:

Tekin RX8 ESC
1900KV Tekin T8
Mugen ECO
SMC 50C 5200mah
Thunderpower 65C 5200mah

Good luck and welcome to the eNation!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by rcjunky10
Depending on which ESC you go with will dictate how much control you have over timing/throttle profiles/punch control/current limiter, etc...suffice it to say you do not even need to consider a clutch for your 1/8th eBuggy setup. Most of the better quality 1/8th ESC's on the market today provide input for all the major facets of programming. Stick with Tekin or CC and you'll be fine and have tons of options available to you.

The big thing to remember when equipping your 1/8th eBuggy is that there is such a thing as too much powa'. Choose the right power plant for your buggy either a 1900kv or 2050/2200 and you'll be just fine and have gobs of power. The next thing to address will be your batteries. DO NOT select a pack with less than a 45C rating. The power demands of your system are immense and if your pack can't supply the required amperage over a sustained period of time then your just throwing your money away on it. I learned this the hard way with a set of Thunderpower 25c sport packs, poof is all I can say. Most of the ESC/Battery manufacturers do a poor job of stressing the importance of adequate energy supply.

I hope this helps you out, but please feel free to pm me if you have any additional questions.

As for my setup:

Tekin RX8 ESC
1900KV Tekin T8
Mugen ECO
SMC 50C 5200mah
Thunderpower 65C 5200mah

Good luck and welcome to the eNation!

so your saying "30 c or 35 c is not enough a guy i race with runs ethier a 4c 30c or a 35 c and he likes it and has plently of punch on his e truggy with a 2200 system.

its hard to find 40c lipo packs and there dam expensive .
Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
so your saying "30 c or 35 c is not enough a guy i race with runs ethier a 4c 30c or a 35 c and he likes it and has plently of punch on his e truggy with a 2200 system.

its hard to find 40c lipo packs and there dam expensive .
everyone here runs 20c to 35c with no problems at all. see alot of 1/10 SC trucks go up in flames here though!! adds alittle fun when your a nitro guy.....LMAO
Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by inferno13
everyone here runs 20c to 35c with no problems at all. see alot of 1/10 SC trucks go up in flames here though!! adds alittle fun when your a nitro guy.....LMAO

lol yea but i whould at least get a 30c or a 35c though on my 1/8 e truggy.

i used a "35c on my 2wd slash with the stock motor and electrics it got warm but never to hot .
Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the help. I need all the good info I can get. Ordered all my stuff last night, CC 2200 motor/esc, tekno conversion kit, and gens ace 4s 5000 40c batteries. Cant wait to get it all put together. Any ideas on what kind of run times I can expect. Our local track is rather small with 2 short straights, maybee 110' to 120'. Hoping I can make a 20 minute main.

Thanks,
Old 06-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You may have too much motor to make 20 minutes. Castle was closing out 1800kv motors a few months ago, that's more what you want for a smaller track. It will still be as fast as any nitro car. Don't be afraid to gear a little low and give up a few mph to the nitro guys, the quality of power electric gives will offer you the advantage everywhere else on the track and you'll be far more efficient then if you try to gear for max speed.