R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Help me pick my first 2WD buggy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/521808-help-me-pick-my-first-2wd-buggy.html)

stephpar 06-09-2011 03:32 PM

Help me pick my first 2WD buggy

Hey there...

I'm considering buying one of these 2 Team Associated 2wd buggies. I'm totally new to buggies...but not RC. I'll try out some racing but mostly bashing given how busy I am with my kids. Which setup looks better? Either kit can be had for about $325

F/s Ft B4
Bind and drive
4600 sidewinder combo
Hitec 7940
My lap Pt
3100 rx
Extra Body(no paint)
Wings
Arms and assorted parts including RPM bumper
Extra wheels and tires

----OR----

b4.1
tekin rs speed control
tekin redline 10.5 motor
hitec 7955 servo
lots of extra rear and front tire sets
spare A arms, shock towers, pistone toe plates, shock shafts
backup diff

What's better, faster, etc? Help the newb please!!!

Thx
Steph

Cpt.America 06-09-2011 03:47 PM

For bashing it doesn't really matter... if i were going to bash a buggy, i would just buy a nice condition used 4.1 RTR and have at it. When you get to a race track and want to compete is when everything changes.

Cpt.America 06-09-2011 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by stephpar (Post 9233216)
My lap Pt

for bashing? :weird:

stephpar 06-09-2011 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 9233285)
For bashing it doesn't really matter... if i were going to bash a buggy, i would just buy a nice condition used 4.1 RTR and have at it. When you get to a race track and want to compete is when everything changes.

Bash to start but might race a little. One kit comes with the transponder. Is one kit better than the other obviously for racing?

Thx

TailsNeon556 06-09-2011 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by stephpar (Post 9233368)
Bash to start but might race a little. One kit comes with the transponder. Is one kit better than the other obviously for racing?

Thx

The B4.1 is a more forgiving car to drive than the B4.. And seems to have better electronics.. The Castle 4600kv sidewinder in the B4 is a bit over powered and is also sensorless.. (useless if you do race) The only thing I would change on the B4.1 setup would be the servo.. The Hitec 7955 is a bit overkill in terms of torque for a 1/10th scale buggy, It's meant for 1/8th scale.. It also sacrifices speed that you want in a 2wd buggy.. Ideal would be something like a Savox 1257 or Orion VDS-1007 (.07) or even the Hitec 7940 in the B4 setup (.06 @ 7.4v)

Is the .1 car a FT or a RTR?

Justpassedu 06-09-2011 04:54 PM

Between those two it's up to you but you def. Picked a good car. I'd go with the factory team , I like the extras it has especially the threaded shocks. Oh and don't worry they can be bashed there tough lil buggies. When I was done racing mine a few years back I would strictly bashed it and it worked great and was tuff. Little things break from time to time but its def. A great start for a 2wd 10th scale buggy. I remember I had put a mamba max and 5700kv motor on mine once with all the esc settings on high and ran it on 3s and when i started getting close to top speed it took off in the air like it wanted to fly.... That was a fun light weight buggy. Go with the factory team even though the electronics you stated in the b4.1 are better.

Cpt.America 06-09-2011 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by stephpar (Post 9233368)

Thx

If you're going to be racing, the second car looks much better, comiing with an RS and a redline, and its a 4.1. But bashing around the yard and maintaining a race car are really incompatible. On the track you want the car to be dialed as possible... beating it up bashing it will only make it less than idea on the track. I recommend getting the b4.1 for racing, and something like a slash for bashing. I would recommend against mixing them if you really want to compete. But if you aren't that serious, then you don't need the 4.1, factory team, or the tekin equipment... any b4 with RTR electronics can do just fine for the casual "just having fun" guy at the track.

1bdasvt 06-09-2011 08:19 PM

Wouldn't something like a T-maxx or Savage better for "bashing"?:nod:

1bdasvt 06-09-2011 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 9234276)
If you're going to be racing, the second car looks much better, comiing with an RS and a redline, and its a 4.1. But bashing around the yard and maintaining a race car are really incompatible. On the track you want the car to be dialed as possible... beating it up bashing it will only make it less than idea on the track. I recommend getting the b4.1 for racing, and something like a slash for bashing. I would recommend against mixing them if you really want to compete. But if you aren't that serious, then you don't need the 4.1, factory team, or the tekin equipment... any b4 with RTR electronics can do just fine for the casual "just having fun" guy at the track.

I agree!!!

drewdog813 06-09-2011 10:06 PM

No Brainer

Tekin all the way, but, being new to buggies, you should just get a 4wd. There are a few on here for good pricing with spare parts and electronics for the same price. 2wd is a waste of money in my opinion.:ha:

stephpar 06-10-2011 07:11 AM

Whoa! Thanks for all the replies. Super helpful. I confirmed with seller that the B4.1 is a FT. That about clinched it for me.

As for the the suggestions to buy a sc truck as it would be better for bashing....I agree and have a slash 4x4 for that reason (and for my boys to bash on too). I've tried on road, some drifting, a huge baja for the the dunes and the like, but I've avoided racing to date or buggies in general. I'm really curious to see how driving might be different and I wanted 2wd drive to force me into working on my driving. Anyhow...hopefully this will be a good kit to learn on, bash around a little, and even race if I get my crap together and someone can watch my kids for me!

Thanks again everyone,
Steph

toyota 2jz 06-10-2011 04:26 PM

kyosho rb5 sp2