R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-16-2004, 05:53 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I know a guy who lost an rc boat in a 30 ft deep pond. Never got that one back!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:54 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

i lost an electric boat in a lake, i had a string tied to it so i got it back, but i found it it sunk cuz the string got onto the propeller and seized the motor and the hull was cracked so it filled with water, thats why i changed to cars, ya cant lose them in lakes!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to beetlebz

LOL yeah did you get that Gt back? thats hysterical stuff!!

on my first ever try running electric... now im used to thinking its off because i dont hear the engine running...

so i sat my bolink on the pit bench, not even thinking that it even HAS an off switch, and i switched my transmitter off. the car FLIES wot down the workbench, knocks over everyones tools, drives over a 1/12th scale carpet car, hits the soldering iron and spins out, sending it to the floor, where i chased it into the back office and caught it under a shelf. Now if it werent bad enough, EVERYONE was watching and all the seasoned guys had a ton of fun making fun of me all night lol
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:34 AM   #34
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

We made several attempts to recover the truck. However the depth of the weeds and the amount of mud at the bottom prevented us from accomplishing that task.

On another note, ever see a TC3 with an 8t Double eat a wall? Can you say, parts?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:18 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by beetlebz
LOL yeah did you get that Gt back? thats hysterical stuff!!

on my first ever try running electric... now im used to thinking its off because i dont hear the engine running...

so i sat my bolink on the pit bench, not even thinking that it even HAS an off switch, and i switched my transmitter off. the car FLIES wot down the workbench, knocks over everyones tools, drives over a 1/12th scale carpet car, hits the soldering iron and spins out, sending it to the floor, where i chased it into the back office and caught it under a shelf. Now if it werent bad enough, EVERYONE was watching and all the seasoned guys had a ton of fun making fun of me all night lol
Next time just turn your radio back on ...yeah i know...99.9999% of your brain power is consumed by panicking and its instinctual to chase it...
jamiekulhanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:08 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Speaking of chasing, here's one for ya...

My neighbor and his friend had T Maxxes. They just bought fail safe devices on them His friend's went in fine, but my neighbors truck was so poorly arranged (he tried to improve on Traxxas's wriing layout-don't ask) that he by mistake put his on the steering servo not the throttle!

Needless to say the inevitable happened. Receiver pack died. Neighbor's friends stopped. Neighbors took off like a beast possessed! Across the park, over roads, through a soccer game (informal-no kids involved), and finally ran out of fuel. He chased that T Maxx with his van. His friend drove and he was leaning out the side door trying to catch it!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:09 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Does anyone have funny/embarrasing stories to tell? Share them here!!
Old 12-08-2004, 12:20 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I had my share too...

I never bothered on properly insulating solder joints. So I was practicing a few hours before a big touring race then I noticed the car started speediing up and slowing down on the track. I figured must be a bad connection so I parked it near my pit table. On the way down I noticed there was a light show through the body. Then the light flickered and I noticed the car's on fire!!! I ran up to the car and noticed the ESC burning. It was an LRP with the back cover held together by a cloth-reinforced tape. People all over came to look at my stupidity. The un-insulated joint shorted against the FET tabs. Smelled like hell.

Another time. I plugged in my battery without turning on the radio. My car lurched forward on the table and sent a friends brand new M8 radio flying off the table. I was thinking "Sh#t, got no money to buy a new radio". Owner just shrugged it off but I'm still haunted by my mistake.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 10:21 AM   #39
Tech Elite

My current bonehead mistake:

Yesterday I was working on my RC10 L30 chassis. I was attempting to drill a hole for a new servo mount a friend had made for me. Guess I should have used a smaller bit on the drill. Brand new FT chassis cracked in the center. Hear that? That was $90 flush!!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #40
Tech Regular

funny one for you all...

I was part of the off-road racing demo at one of the largest model expo's in the UK this year.

We were putting on our demo race and about mid way through the demo race having a close 'race' with Richard Taylor coming onto the main straight flat out I was just slightly inside him going for a move just as a car crashed from the infield onto the main straight, unfortunately I collected this car and it snapped my car in half clean accross the front plate.

Took me a while to find my front end... it went over the barier and into the crowd

no major problem other than that was a pretty rare plastic xxx chassis, we had not had plastic chassis delivered to the UK for years.

all is well now though. but its still pretty funny to loose your front end in a crowd of expo go'ers, anyone could have ran off with it
Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #41
Tech Regular

30min A-main,7th to 3rd on the 3rd lap,RIM STRIPPPPED ON MY XXX-NT.Ended up finishing 7th.
Sofast-NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:10 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

Fully fried my Mtroniks Cirrus ESC on Friday nights club race....smoke and smell and all that jazz. I couldn't believe it!That happened before any of the quals...I was actually taking my car to the prestage table when it all happened.....luckily a friend loaned me an ESC for the main and I finished 4th.

Now I gotta drop some serious coin on new ESC! GRRRR!

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:36 AM   #43
Tech Elite

What a nice guy to lend you an ESC like that. I fried one of my lower end ESC's and my neighbor, who had three extras with him, wouldn't lend me one saying that they didn't work. He cooked one and presto, they all worked fine.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:55 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Z
What a nice guy to lend you an ESC like that. I fried one of my lower end ESC's and my neighbor, who had three extras with him, wouldn't lend me one saying that they didn't work. He cooked one and presto, they all worked fine.
Man that kind of stuff makes me mad. I was working on a real truck one time and needed a pocket knife. My buddy was there and always has one. I asked, he says don't have it today. Half hour later he was trimming his nails with it. I asked him why he lied, he said b/c he didn't want me to get it dirty. Next day he wanted to borrow my welder... What do you think I said?
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

You lost it in a puddle of mud?