R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-06-2004, 07:46 PM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to LosiFromHell986

Quote:
Originally posted by beetlebz
lol sounds like a hair grabber losi...

i did that today LOL i was running my GT at my friends house and it stopped DEAD, and the P/S was stuck. i got half way through taking the engine off when i noticed a rock fell out from between the flywheel and chassis
Heh, yeah dude it sucked. I've rebuilt my Pro .15 twice in 2 months because the first time, my friend flamed the sleeve, and then because my clutch bell bearing seized... But the good news: I got an OS CVRX .15 sleeve and piston
LosiFromHell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 08:20 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hehe, I went over and cleaned the whole truck night before a race at a new track. Got there in the morning and my GT would not fire. Everything was fine, good igniter, good plug, (checked em both), fuel topped off,.. Couldn't figure it out. Then noticed fuel spitting up when it was on the starter box. Hmmmm, checked it out and I had the fuel line plugged into the wrong place on the tank. There's a pressure line fitting on the lid, that was good, but there is a nipple that is blocked off on the tank and that's where I had it. Dumb. Switched it over and fired right up. I looked like a dumbs... first time at that track. Oh well. Did good racing anyhow.

Thought I'd file down the motor mounts one time so the motor would sit lower. Hit starter box better, and lower center of gravity. Double bonus. Ya right. Couldn't understand why everytime I landed a jump the motor died. After inspecting it, found the flywheel was all scratched up. Put two and two together and bottoming off jumps would stop the flywheel. So shimmed back up 1/16 of an inch, never had the problem again.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:11 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rushdude

Today I got so pissed at an engine I was putting back together. I put it back together and the conecting rod was rubbing. I looked down and there was and extra washer which meant that I had to take the engine back apart and put the washer on the crank. So by now I am really pissed. I got to take the head off and when I get to the last screw it stripped out on me and I lost it. I ended up throwing the engine as far as I could. I went inside got a drink, than realized what I have done. I go outside and find the engine. Tomorrow I have to fix it now. Guess I know now to walk away when I start to get angry.
rushdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 06:53 PM   #19
Tech Elite

How did you strip out the last head bolt? Generally after 3 are loose, the fourth one isn't even tight anymore??..
Old 11-14-2004, 11:05 AM   #20
Tech Regular

On the loosening stage I got to the last one and the basterd stripped on me. Just because the other 3 are loose doesn't mean the last one is. I guess when I put it together I tightened that one a little bit more. I am going out today to get an easy out to get the damn screw out.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:06 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Also I broke an allen wrench trying to get it out. Its weird that that one was so much tighter. And no, I am not an asshole and used locktight on an engine head screw.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #22
Tech Elite

I was just curious is all. That sux. But hey, I just overpinched a picco .15. That sux too.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Had such a bad day at the track, I was a lap off the pace all day, when I'm normally in 1st, 2nd, 3rd area. Not to mention I had to replace two arms, a bulkhead, & a rear tower throughout the course of the day. In the main I pulled out all the way from 7th to 2nd in a mere 2 laps, then my car got pummeled on a large jump & I was out after only 1:25 minutes in. The rest of the race I just watched the leaders cars while my car was sitting in an open portion of the track. Oh well, not every day is a good one .
MikeAbrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:40 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

Nice Mike, sounds better than what happened to Anthony in the Main friday, his radio glitched and went full throttle on the straight away right between Laces legs and into the wall. snapped his chassis dead in half right after the front skidplate. I had a rather good day thou 1st in the B.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:13 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to beetlebz

ouch, now THATS a bad time lol

thursday i was at the track playing with my new bolink for like 4 hours, and i was doing GREAT for my first electric adventure EVER (never before drove a real electric) and i was keeping pretty decent pace with the shop owner (whos raced for many many moons) so i was proud of myself. i finally got a little cocky and took the hairpin too fast, slammed sideways into the wall. bent the rear axle, dislodged my new novak dually sending it flying, and cracked the front wheel :O

oh well, as soon as i pay off the dually i just got i can buy new wheels and have the axle straightened lol
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 12:39 AM   #26
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Set down your beverages, trust me!

I hope that these two stories make you laugh. I finally can!

1. Setting: Indoor carpet oval racing. In March of 2002 I was racing my Factory Team B3 at a race in Oshkosh, WI and had a bad accident. My steering servo locked in the straight-ahead position just as I applied full power to the Monster Horsepower Stock motor coming out of the corner. I flew off of the track, went through six folding chairs, knocked over three tool boxes, hit four spectators, and finally hit the cinderblock wall. This cracked both RPM A-arms, bent three of the four front hinge pins, bent one shock shaft, popped the cap off of the other one, split the shock tower, broke two turnbuckles, and cracked the chassis. Not to be outdone, a soda fell off of one of the tables that I hit and shorted out my ESC. I was thrilled!

2. Setting: Indoor carpet roadcourse racing. On November 6 at the local Hobbytown in Oshkosh I was cleaning my Team+ TC3 motor after a good run. I let the motor cool off while I was marshalling. After I disconnected the battery from the ESC I sprayed the motor with Niftech R/C Electric Motor cleaner. On the back are two warnings. Both stress that the fumes are flammable (bet you can guess where this is going...). I let the drippings come off of the motor and put it in front of a fan to dissipate the fumes and waited about three or four minutes. I moved the fan, connected the battery, connected the DSC from radio to esc and hit the throttle. RESULT? Instant flame from the back to the front of the car! I tried to put it out with a towel but as I swung it on the car I realized that I had soaked the towel in Niftech too! After about 2 furious mins of swatting with wet Brawny paper towel the flames were gone. My team mate Tim looked up and said, "How's the heart rate?" I responded with "Oh, about mach 2!" There was no damage luckily. Just the fumes burned.

I will have more stories later.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:27 PM   #27
Tech Regular

That flame story made remeber a story that happened to me about 5-6 months ago. i had just rebuild all four shocks in my xxx and went on the track, after about 5 min of practicing on a rather wet track my tires were a little dirty so i decided id spin em out in the garbage pail, not realizing i had cleaned my shocks in it, the motor spray fumes still being near and in the garbage pail instantly ignited and engulfed my right arm with flames, the plastic bag shrunk around my car and melted the 2 front tires, the flames scorched my arm but luckly it didnt burn, just took all the hair off, but it did burn my hand, i was all twitchy stearing for the rest of the night. needless to say, ill never clean my tires in a garbage can again
Old 11-16-2004, 03:32 PM   #28
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nick,

I dont feel so bad now. At least I'm not the only one to do that! I'm glad that u were not burned.

One of my team mates had a FT GT with a roto start. He left the throttle servo wide open and cranked it one time. It flew off hit table, across the driveway, over the street narrowly missing a semi, then flew into a pond. It bubbled for a few seconds then dieappeared.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:07 PM   #29
Tech Elite

So did you go get the GT?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #30
Tech Regular

i would hope he did or i can imagine this setting

Hey looky here Jimbob i caught me a big one!
NoNo Clappit that ders tat guys GT he lost in this here pond!
Well Golly Jee Hows Elly May gunna frie that up?!