Community
Wiki Posts
Search

novak 550 4.5t and xerun 120a timing???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Questions?? novak 550 4.5t and xerun 120a timing???

just got a novak ballistic 550 size 4.5turn motor for my hyper tt and I'm waiting on a xerun 120a esc, and im a but lost on what timing settings to set the motor and esc to... the motor already comes with 30 degrees of timing and there's many timing settings on the esc software, not sure really what to set these to as I think they assume that the motor has 0 degrees of timing for the settings to work, has anyone tryed this combo before? any advise on settings? should i set the motor back to 0 degrees?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Company Representative

Ballistic Motor Timing Information

To help answer some of the questions and misconceptions about motor timing, we have compiled the top three questions that our Customer Service Department has received concerning Novak’s Ballistic Motor Series’ static motor timing. When using an ESC that features electronic timing advance (boost or power setting) and a Ballistic motor, the timing setting should be left at the factory set "N or 30" position to decrease the likelihood of a failure caused by overheating, over timing or over gearing the motor. Damage incurred to the motor due to overheating, over timing and/or over gearing will not be covered under Novak’s warranty.

1.) How many degrees of timing are there in a Ballistic motor?

Novak’s Ballistic motors come with pre‐calibrated timing that is set from the factory. Using custom‐built and calibrated electronic equipment, each motor is set to 30 degrees of timing. This timing is 100 percent electrical and not based on an arbitrary reference pre‐built into the motor. After calibration, the timing label is added, which corresponds to the set timing N or 30 on the side of the motor. Each line on the label indicates a 5 degree change.

‐3 ‐2 ‐1 N +1 +2 +3
or
15 20 25 30 35 40 45

SPECIAL NOTE: The Ballistic motor timing is the genuine electrical timing in the motor, not an arbitrary reference pre‐built into the motor. Without the proper equipment, comparing timing settings among different brands of motors can be difficult.

2.) What does adjusting the timing do?

Novak sets the Ballistic motor timing to an optimized point for most general applications. Adjusting the timing should only be done in small increments – at most, one notch, or 5 degrees at a time – and with great care to observe the changes in system performance and temperatures.

THE SYSTEM TEMPERATURE SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 160° F.

When increasing the timing to a more positive number (from N to +1), your Ballistic motor will produce more no‐load RPM and, generally, experience a slight reduction in torque. To combat the excessive heat produced from the loss of torque, we recommend gearing down the pinion gear by one tooth for each increased notch (5 degree increment).

When decreasing the timing to a more negative number (from N or 30 to ‐1), your Ballistic motor will produce less no‐load RPM and, generally, experience an increase in torque. To combat the loss of top‐end speed from the declination of RPM, we recommend gearing up the pinion gear by one tooth for each decreased notch (5 degree increment).

3.) How do I set my Ballistic motor to zero degrees of timing?

The factory timing for the Ballistic motors is 30 degrees, which corresponds to the N or 30on the timing label. Novak does not recommend running zero degrees of timing for most applications and suggests running, at least, 5 degrees of timing to ensure proper operation of the motor.

NOTE: If you adjust the timing to lower than the pre‐set factory setting of 30 degrees, the reversing function of your Novak ESC may not work properly. This 30 degrees of timing is accounted for in the speed control’s commutation sequence.

To adjust the Ballistic motor to this recommended 5 degree timing setting:

1. Loosen the three 1.5 mm hex‐head screws on the back timing cap of the motor.
2. Turn the end cap clockwise until the stationary notch on the end bell lines up to the
edge of the label.
3. Re‐tighten the three 1.5 mm hex‐head screws in a circular pattern to ensure that they are evenly tightened. Do not over-tighten---this may damage the timing assembly
Old 12-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

wow, that covers everything cheers for the info, so I can just use the esc settings and not worry about the motor, awesome.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so how do you like the xerun esc with 4.5hv?? i just got a mmp w/ 4.5hv but its giving me issues.. I was gonna put my xerun on with the novak 4.5hv 550 motor..
Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bustanut666
so how do you like the xerun esc with 4.5hv?? i just got a mmp w/ 4.5hv but its giving me issues.. I was gonna put my xerun on with the novak 4.5hv 550 motor..
havent tryed it yet, still waiting for the mail man, but ive only heard good things about them, most off road guys at my local track have switched to them,they reckon there better then the "high end" ones, mainly because of the easy programming with the LCD card and and free firmware updates ect, plus they are cheap,like the budge (lock stock reference),

anyway when the thing gets here ill give you my thoughts on how it goes
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It's a great combo! Xerun 120 with 4.5 550 motor no clogging n runs very cool

I use it to race
Old 12-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SuperEk4
It's a great combo! Xerun 120 with 4.5 550 motor no clogging n runs very cool

I use it to race
ah exelent! very very pleased to hear its a great combo for racing

cheers
Old 12-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by redthunder
ah exelent! very very pleased to hear its a great combo for racing

cheers
Yes it's a great system. Try it!
Old 12-31-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

btw what pinion are you running?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by redthunder
btw what pinion are you running?
Pinion 13 on scrt10
Old 12-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

cool, mines got a 15t on atm see how it goes, may have to go down a tooth or two...or add fans...i like the fan idea better
Old 12-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

+1
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah... I got rid of my mamba max pro and put in my old xerun 120a esc with my novak 550 4.5hv motor... its smoother and i believe faster than the mmp.. just bought the mmp few days ago too.. what a waste of my money... because with the mmp and the 4.5 running my 5000mah turnigy 20c batteries.. it would start cogging after 10 min run time. now with my xerun and 4.5.. i get 20+ minutes with my batts.. like how i use to get..
Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bustanut666
yeah... I got rid of my mamba max pro and put in my old xerun 120a esc with my novak 550 4.5hv motor... its smoother and i believe faster than the mmp.. just bought the mmp few days ago too.. what a waste of my money... because with the mmp and the 4.5 running my 5000mah turnigy 20c batteries.. it would start cogging after 10 min run time. now with my xerun and 4.5.. i get 20+ minutes with my batts.. like how i use to get..
Glad u like it, xerun 120 runs very cool also
Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Sp silver arrow v2 & novak 4.5

Hi folks

Im having issues w this setup, glitching of the rx and the brakes seem "weak". Im wondering if timing might be part of the problem. Im running 13t pinion and all seetings to default in the esc, which is essentially the same as a hobbywing 80a esc. What timing settings did you guys go with on motor & esc?

Thx

Joe