Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC10B3 New electronics

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Default RC10B3 New electronics

Hi All, I have an RC10B3 team addition. I'd like to upgrade to a brushless system and eventually move that system to a new buggy. I'll be doing some running around the house and novice racing.

Can you recommend a system along with batteries and charger.

Also, I have a Futaba Magnum Jr radio. Can I still run that or is there something else I should buy?

I'm just getting back into RC after a 10 year absence.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

For just around the house and novice racing:

Motor/ESC

Battery

Charger

Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jacobsed
Hi All, I have an RC10B3 team addition. I'd like to upgrade to a brushless system and eventually move that system to a new buggy. I'll be doing some running around the house and novice racing.

Can you recommend a system along with batteries and charger.

Also, I have a Futaba Magnum Jr radio. Can I still run that or is there something else I should buy?

I'm just getting back into RC after a 10 year absence.

Thanks!
I would upgrade the radio, maybe look at the new MT-4 or MX-3X from Airtronics. With the new 2.4 systems available, the reaction times are reduced and easier to set-up. Brushless systems to consider would be Tekin or better yet, LRP.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...etry-No-Servos

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...92744-Receiver

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...K-III-Firmware
Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You will likely get lots of different opinions here, so I will give mine too.

I would recommend the Hobbywing Xerun system. It costs far less than other comparable systems, but performs just as great and is just as reliable as anything out there. If, and when, you decide you want to go faster, you can upload the free software with boost and turbo functions, which is only available with the more expensive models from other brands.
http://cgi.ebay.com/XERUN-2700KV-13-...item45f7365ea3

For batteries and charger I agree with the Gens Ace and Thunder Charger from Hobbypartz.com, if you can catch them in stock.

Aside from frequency crystals and a big antenna, your radio is just fine for playing and racing. When you go to a track, if other people are running radios with the same frequency, someone has to change crystals to avoid a conflict. The good news is that almost everyone runs 2.4g radios, so this is rarely a problem. The 2.4g does offer a more reliable connection, but unless you get the latest and greatest, it is no faster and no easier to use than comparable AM or FM radios. Not trying to talk you out of it, because it is very nice to never worry about picking up any interference, just not necessary to have fun. Also, it is worth noting that some tracks have banned AM and FM radios because it is much easier for them than coordinating frequency conflicts and 2.4g is pretty much the norm these days.

As I said before, there are many different opinion here, and I will not be rude to say mine is any better than the next guys. One thing I will suggest, when shopping for a brushless system, is to do a few searches on the forums and on google to see what people are saying about that brand or system.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hi I put a BL system in my B3 and I ended up removing it and using a brushed motor and a newer esc with lvc for lipo's . I liked the power of the BL system but the car didn't . I was ruining tranny gears and tires and even the roll pin for the top shaft kept coming out . I haven't had any issues since I went back to brushed . I dont race I just use it for bashing around the back yard but with lipo and a decent motor its still a lot of fun .My .02 cents worth .
Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the quick replys! What kind of run time could I expect to get out these setups? And what is the difference between 8T and 13.5T?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

The lower the number of "T", or turns, the more RPMs the motor will turn and the more battery power it will take. For the B3, I think anything under 10.5T is going to be very fast for a track, unless you are a very skilled driver. For large open spaces you can use a faster motor like a 8.5T or even faster. You should also consider any rules if you plan to race, check with the track where you would be racing to find out what classes are run and rules for those classes. As for runtime, it depends on the motor, battery, your driving style, gearing, and several other factors. But generally, a 5000mah pack should get you 10+ minutes on a very fast motor, maybe even 30 minutes with a more moderate 17.5T.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Tech Rookie

How long does it take to charge the 2S Lipo pack?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

The Thunder charger listed above can charge any common 7.4V lipo in about an hour, give or take a few minutes depending on how far you run it down before recharging. If you decide to spend more money you can get batteries and/or chargers that can reduce charge time, but I believe it is increasing the potential to damage your packs.