Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tune With Camber Links >

Tune With Camber Links

Like Tree53Likes

Tune With Camber Links

Old 11-08-2015, 05:15 AM
  #2071  
Moderator
iTrader: (20)
 
bds81175's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Litchfield, Minnesota
Posts: 2,745
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

I spring balance and oil balance and I have never gotten lighter front oil than rear. It many times is lighter in front than a lot of the fast guys setup sheets show, though. There is an experienced racer at our local track who just went through and spring balanced his TLR 22 2.0 mid motor buggy and came up with a substantially softer front spring. He loves how the car drives now. I'll have to ask him what he found with oils and pistons.
bds81175 is offline  
Old 11-08-2015, 04:22 PM
  #2072  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: My house.
Posts: 3,567
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You are not forgetting that the front shock piston holes should be thinner than the rear shock piston holes right?

Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
I spring balance and oil balance and I have never gotten lighter front oil than rear. It many times is lighter in front than a lot of the fast guys setup sheets show, though. There is an experienced racer at our local track who just went through and spring balanced his TLR 22 2.0 mid motor buggy and came up with a substantially softer front spring. He loves how the car drives now. I'll have to ask him what he found with oils and pistons.
Surprisingly enough I managed to somehow balance it with the standard Red 2.5 front and kyosho pinks rear which are a bit softer than standard yellows. 54 rear pistons, 56? front with 27.5wt all round. Drove so-so but didn't want to throw money at it to fix flaws and traded it. Cool good car otherwise.

Last edited by 30Tooth; 11-09-2015 at 02:11 AM.
30Tooth is offline  
Old 11-24-2015, 07:10 PM
  #2073  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 205
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Hey I have a question about shock pistons...the numbers on them ie 1.7, 1.3, etc. What exactly does the number refer to. I am assuming it is the size of the hole. The reason I ask is because I have some pistons that came with one of my kits that are a 4x1.0, 5x1.0, and a 6x1.0, and I would like to make the holes large to a 1.3 or 1.4, but I'm not sure what a 1.4 translates to or is that a drill size. Thanks for the help in advance.

Tim
Tdub77 is offline  
Old 11-24-2015, 07:19 PM
  #2074  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 97
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I believe its the diameter in mm. 1.4 is just over a #54 bit.

See http://news.bmotorsports.com/faq/dri...es-conversion/
roundguy is offline  
Old 11-24-2015, 07:47 PM
  #2075  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 205
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

cool thanks
Tdub77 is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 09:53 AM
  #2076  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Fyrmed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Villa Park
Posts: 310
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Just starting the process and this is exactly what I was looking for! B5M Light white springs front and rear. 1.6 pistons front 1.4 rear. Here is a video I made showing slo mo. Not exactly sure what I am looking for but the rear seems faster than the front? https://youtu.be/BecvbO1Icfo
Fyrmed2 is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 10:20 AM
  #2077  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,766
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The rear doesn't look faster to me. It just appears that you have more travel on the rear shocks than the fronts. The fronts are reaching full extension earlier. I balance everything. I want the same amount of suspension up and down travel all around.
fredswain is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 AM
  #2078  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Fyrmed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Villa Park
Posts: 310
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
The rear doesn't look faster to me. It just appears that you have more travel on the rear shocks than the fronts. The fronts are reaching full extension earlier. I balance everything. I want the same amount of suspension up and down travel all around.
Excuse my ignorance but your saying springs look good to you I just need to adjust my travel? How do you properly set travel? Ride height? Shock Limiters? I set the ride height by compressing the shocks all the way down and slowly letting off. I also have 2 Limiters front and 1 in the rear end. Shock positions in the middle on front and rear on the towers
Fyrmed2 is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 10:56 AM
  #2079  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,766
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You either need more internal limiters on the rear shocks or less up front.
fredswain is offline  
Old 12-21-2015, 03:34 PM
  #2080  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Fyrmed2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Villa Park
Posts: 310
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fredswain View Post
You either need more internal limiters on the rear shocks or less up front.
Ok seems better to me? I went with zero Limiters front and 4 in the rear. White spring front - grey spring rearhttps://youtu.be/4MHr-tKCE5E

Last edited by Fyrmed2; 12-21-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Fyrmed2 is offline  
Old 12-31-2015, 06:00 PM
  #2081  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 205
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Interesting thing I found out recently is AE must be watching this thread. I just built a b5m lite and the springs that come in the kit along with the shock positions in the manual has the chassis balanced very well when checking for spring balance. I also setup my sc10.2 about a year ago. I was able to get balance with the supplied springs, I just had to move the shock positions to balance it. Way to go AE.

Tim
Tdub77 is offline  
Old 12-31-2015, 08:25 PM
  #2082  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,342
Default

Originally Posted by Tdub77 View Post
Interesting thing I found out recently is AE must be watching this thread. I just built a b5m lite and the springs that come in the kit along with the shock positions in the manual has the chassis balanced very well when checking for spring balance. I also setup my sc10.2 about a year ago. I was able to get balance with the supplied springs, I just had to move the shock positions to balance it. Way to go AE.

Tim
AE won something like 25 World Championships before this thread was even started. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they knew a lot more about chassis setup long before this thread existed.
Dave H is offline  
Old 12-31-2015, 08:35 PM
  #2083  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 205
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
AE won something like 25 World Championships before this thread was even started. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they knew a lot more about chassis setup long before this thread existed.
ya I suppose your right
Tdub77 is offline  
Old 12-31-2015, 10:06 PM
  #2084  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,766
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The AE setups a couple of years ago, especially with the B44 cars, were downright terrible. Laughably bad. That speaks volumes for everyone else's setups as it won the previous Ifmar championship. When no one knows what they are doing, everyone is equal.
fredswain is offline  
Old 01-01-2016, 07:08 AM
  #2085  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
RC10Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,577
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
AE won something like 25 World Championships before this thread was even started. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they knew a lot more about chassis setup long before this thread existed.
You should listen to the RIP episode with Cliff Lett. They talk about how they came up with the design for the RC10 stealth geometry Masami used in the 1991 Worlds. He very much gives the impression they had no clue what they were doing and just guessing until they came up with something that worked. And what they came up with was what they used going forward on their cars. I think that interview pretty much demonstrates the tuning knowledge they have.
RC10Nick is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.