Swelling lipos

Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Swelling lipos

Hey Pretty much all of my lipos are swelling when they are used, They are hard case and some of them are pretty darn expesnsive batteries. It doesn't matter which car or esc I use. Is this normal? if not is there some setting I should change so that they don't do this
Old 05-30-2011, 10:54 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by velotek1
Hey Pretty much all of my lipos are swelling when they are used, They are hard case and some of them are pretty darn expesnsive batteries. It doesn't matter which car or esc I use. Is this normal? if not is there some setting I should change so that they don't do this
That's normally not supposed to happen. It happened to me all the time when I left them sitting around fully charged for days before using them. Now that I leave them at around 60% charged, until I actually use them, no more swelling. Also don't leave them sitting around where it's real hot. If you leave them in a hot car for hours, they will puff. Occasionally they will swell because because of a defect, but I haven't had that happen to me in a long time.
The worse thing that can happen is if they puff during charging. Don't use them again if that happens.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

thats probably it! they only swell when I use them but usually I charge the night before then head to the track
Old 05-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by velotek1
thats probably it! they only swell when I use them but usually I charge the night before then head to the track
Charging them the night before isn't going to cause this IMO. 2-3 weeks is more likely to start causing issues not 1 day.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+1 on previous posts. Check with your type of battery, it should have a storage recommendation for storage charge level and temperature. This happened to one of mine several years ago and I believe it was due to leaving it sit in a charged status. Also, depending on the age/usage, eventually they will go bad.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

They will swell a little if they are over heated..
For example I ran my car for a full lipo run of at least 35+ min yesterday and it was at least 80 degrees out and it swelled a bit..
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Addict

Swelling can also be caused if you are pushing the battery too close to its discharge limits. What size batteries are you using ? (mAh, C rating) and in what? (vehicle, motor, esc) and how are you using it? ( 7 min qualifiers, 20 min mains, if bashing, on what surface?)
Old 05-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)

dont tell me you use smc lipos
they swell easily

i bought a pack for $130 + shipping and it swell in few months under 10 charges with no over/under charge or over heat. charge with 4amp (under 1c)
Old 05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

i don't run any particular brand, I buy whats on sale or what seems like a good deal at the time. I have some Orions a few venoms and a couple thunder power batteries. I think the batteries are getting too hot. How do I fix this?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default proper care

I have a couple sets of lipos Ive had for a few years, never had a problem I store them fully charged sometimes for weeks on end, in a cool dark place ( in an old ammo case in my garage) These lipos have been charged more than 100x or so ( lots of cycles ) They are still just as strong as the day I bought them. I have seen others swell their lipos by running them too HOT -over geared-or-under geared- and running them past lipo cut off. I ALWAYS let my lipos cool down completely before charging, and very rarely run them to cut off-- for 2 reasons, #1 damage to $100 battery, #2 cuts down on charge time.. ( I run 4s packs ) I think with good care these batteries will last a while longer.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nogas
Swelling can also be caused if you are pushing the battery too close to its discharge limits. What size batteries are you using ? (mAh, C rating) and in what? (vehicle, motor, esc) and how are you using it? ( 7 min qualifiers, 20 min mains, if bashing, on what surface?)
I usually store my lipo's fully charger and have never had one puff up.

i think the response above is the most likley cause, set your esc cut off to 3.4 volts per cell.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Tech Initiate

i just toke my lipos out of storage abit ago they are 5000mah but they are only taking 3500mah or so they were fine befor i ran them on storage in fall dont understand,any feedback? thanx
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

IMO it is a hit and miss with puffed lipo packs. Be careful as a puff lipo can damage other electronics.