Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 22 or FT B4.1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Losi 22 or FT B4.1?

This is not a "Losi vs AE" thread, no need to fight over which brand is best or any of that, I just want to hear discussion about the merits of both. It seems like these 2 are going to be the most popular buggies at local tracks and before I buy either I'd like to know both the pros and cons of each.

I'm hoping to get advice from those of you that have driven both and your impressions of each, so hopefully I can make an educated choice before I buy either. I'm leaning towards the Losi because I like the shocks better, the mid-motor option, and the abuse I've seen it put through without a hiccup.

Being a weekend warrior racer, durability is important to me, so please keep that in mind. I'd rather have a buggy that's a little bit slower but breaks once a month that a fast buggy that is a part time job to maintain. Price is not of concern since they're both close in price.

I plan to put an 8.5T Tekin or Murf Dogg, with a Tekin RS in case that makes a difference with mounting space for the ESC.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wattser93
This is not a "Losi vs AE" thread, no need to fight over which brand is best or any of that, I just want to hear discussion about the merits of both. It seems like these 2 are going to be the most popular buggies at local tracks and before I buy either I'd like to know both the pros and cons of each.

I'm hoping to get advice from those of you that have driven both and your impressions of each, so hopefully I can make an educated choice before I buy either. I'm leaning towards the Losi because I like the shocks better, the mid-motor option, and the abuse I've seen it put through without a hiccup.

Being a weekend warrior racer, durability is important to me, so please keep that in mind. I'd rather have a buggy that's a little bit slower but breaks once a month that a fast buggy that is a part time job to maintain. Price is not of concern since they're both close in price.

go to their own threads ans ask people

I plan to put an 8.5T Tekin or Murf Dogg, with a Tekin RS in case that makes a difference with mounting space for the ESC.
ask the people on their own threads
Old 05-31-2011, 02:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Go for the 22 bro
It's the most durable of the two and it's really sweet handling.
+ you can use it as a rear or mid motor if you like.
Mine flyes like a m.....f...... on our local track.
With the tekin you have loads of space for you esc and wires.
you need sadlepacks for the midmotor setup though.
Just remeber to build the diff with ceramic balls from the beginning|and do it properly
Old 05-31-2011, 04:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

parts supply?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Have had both.

I liked the fact the AE already has a proven easy to drive set up. Pretty much the same set up used everywhere, just change tires. The 22 will eventually get there I think. It is just too new for a set up like that. I think the 22 is more sensative to set up changes and the AE is more forgiving.

The 22 is more durable I believe. I have about 2 hours on mine on outdoor 8th scale tracks and nothing has broke.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll give my opinion as an outside observer looking in as I don't have either car. At the tracks here there are more 22's entered than any other car. The B4 is the 2nd most popular option and there is an RB5, a couple of XX's, and a XXX as well. We typically see A and B mains although they have both been full. If popularity keeps increasing, we may see a C main as well in the near future.

If you were to believe all the hype then you'd surmise that the A main is all 22's and the rest of the cars are in the B main. That just doesn't happen. I didn't see the races this past weekend but the previous couple of weekends has seen an A main with 22's, B4's, the RB5, and a XX. The B main has had 22's and B4's as well. 2 weeks ago it had the lowly XXX in it. That driver just sold his 22 as he said it didn't drive well and he couldn't set it up well. He went back to his old tried and true XXX and quite frankly he sucks with it too so I wouldn't blame the car. A 22 has won the past few weeks. A B4 won the previous few. It's back and forth.

In terms of which car would be best from a performance standpoint, on paper I'd say the 22 but the real world is what matters and the fact remains that others are still competitive. I am convinced that you could go out there with a 25 year old RC10 and be competitive as long as you know how to set the car up well. That's where the biggest issue seems to be with cars at the track. You can tell who has it dialed in an who doesn't and typically it's the same people week after week who can't figure it out.

In terms of parts availability, one local shop stocks tons of 22 parts, some B4 parts, and some XXX parts. Another shop has little of any of them and yet another shop here is almost entirely Traxxas parts. It's a tossup in that regards so check your local shops.

Since all the current cars seem to be capable performers, I'd choose the one with the best parts availability in your area. Only you can answer which one that will be though.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (98%+)

Two Digits....
22!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Pllllease ... And it's Three Digits to all you Bandwagoneers need to KNOW !
Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You'll never get a truthful answer on the internet. Your best bet is to talk to the racers in your local area. I have driven both but won't give me opinion online anymore cause bashing from biased racers.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
I'll give my opinion as an outside observer looking in as I don't have either car. At the tracks here there are more 22's entered than any other car. The B4 is the 2nd most popular option and there is an RB5, a couple of XX's, and a XXX as well. We typically see A and B mains although they have both been full. If popularity keeps increasing, we may see a C main as well in the near future.

If you were to believe all the hype then you'd surmise that the A main is all 22's and the rest of the cars are in the B main. That just doesn't happen. I didn't see the races this past weekend but the previous couple of weekends has seen an A main with 22's, B4's, the RB5, and a XX. The B main has had 22's and B4's as well. 2 weeks ago it had the lowly XXX in it. That driver just sold his 22 as he said it didn't drive well and he couldn't set it up well. He went back to his old tried and true XXX and quite frankly he sucks with it too so I wouldn't blame the car. A 22 has won the past few weeks. A B4 won the previous few. It's back and forth.

In terms of which car would be best from a performance standpoint, on paper I'd say the 22 but the real world is what matters and the fact remains that others are still competitive. I am convinced that you could go out there with a 25 year old RC10 and be competitive as long as you know how to set the car up well. That's where the biggest issue seems to be with cars at the track. You can tell who has it dialed in an who doesn't and typically it's the same people week after week who can't figure it out.

In terms of parts availability, one local shop stocks tons of 22 parts, some B4 parts, and some XXX parts. Another shop has little of any of them and yet another shop here is almost entirely Traxxas parts. It's a tossup in that regards so check your local shops.

Since all the current cars seem to be capable performers, I'd choose the one with the best parts availability in your area. Only you can answer which one that will be though.
Wow! Unbiased, thoughtful, and TRUE. A rare combination on the forums these days. Listen to this post. All can win, all can be dialed so far out that they can't win...