Search
Like Tree3Likes

Serpent 811E Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrnizzles
Thats kool your friend won the race, I would love to see when Saxton "looses it".. I've heard other similar stories like that... what was your buddy driving?

Heres a few pics of the body for my ttr S3. I will likely ONLY run it in a A main, and an important one at that. I have 4 other bodies for normal racing/practice that are beat to hell and I just repair them.

Now that I have the Serpent, I have both a really Neo Techy Elctro setup and a really Old Skool Nitro setup (which is what nitro should be all about)

The piece of lexan in the pics, is my new setup board, got at Home Depot for $16 bucks. Its super thick, very hard and stiff, and clear so I can see anything under it!! I can put stickers on it, make my own marks and Im going to make a handle for it after I sand the edges down a bit.

The bimmer body is for another ttr S3 I have, for running onroad, with foam tires with a RB S7 motor, 2 speed transmission and all the ttr hopups!!

_
At the time he was running an XB8. It was new the same year as the S3 I believe. Him and Ty Tessmann always had great races that were fun to watch. They are still very close in touring car when they run.

Then Ty started practicing 30 hours a week and those of us such as my friend who have families and jobs had no chance of catching him! He just doesn't make any mistakes!

The closest i could ever get to Ty was 2 laps down in both Buggy/Truggy 30 minute A Mains in 2009 and staying on the same lap as him in a 6 minute qualifier in 2011!

That is awesome seeing that S3 body.....I love the memories!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone having any issues running the transponder under the radio tray?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My serpent is up for sale if anyone is looking for one. Great conditionfor 425 shipped pm or text me 404 606 9709
Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doughboy305

YES, I forgot to mention. Tried it there, didn't work. Moved it to behind the servo and worked fine.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Maxthepersonz
How tight? Looks like I got to spend $500+ on an EX-1 now you couldn't pay me to run Spektrum. Thanks for the reply!

What receiver are you using? I can EASILY fit my RadioPost 5 channel in there,
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rface-Receiver

plus my antenna wire coiled up, plus my excess transponder and esc wires coiled up no problem. I could easily fit my Futaba and Spektrums receivers as well (i'm selling those though)

Originally Posted by RCmayor
I was just looking through a catalog at Absolute Hobbyz and they have the rear aluminum brace also.
That is strange, when I used the search function on there site it didn't show up.

What i don't understand is where the antenna is located. I've tried stock serpent and a racers edge tubes, and both broke immediately. Now I'm coiling my antenna wire up and leaving it in the radio box. However, I would like to use my LED antennas from commonsenserc as they are super cool. Kind of bums me out though I can't buy that antenna lid by itself, I have to pay $50 for the whole radio tray etc..
Are others breaking there antenna tubes as well?

Last edited by Vortexted; 03-21-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doughboy305
Only on 1 track. I moved it up on top of the radio box with a little servo tape and no more issues.

I'm using a KO 411 Rx and it fits in fine. There's even room for foam in the box.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default Lube on center diff gear and pinion

I have a question, do you guys put the lube on the center diff gear and pinion since they are metal gears meshing together? I did for my front and rear transmission but not the center as the manual did not show to.

I'm thinking it would be dust magnet.

Also is it necessary to change the diff fluids after a few race days of breaking it in? I'm not in the mood to change it so hopefully I can get away with it for a while.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default oil changes!!

the first few runs during and right after break in is really the most crucial time of a diffs life to change the fluids.. the metal wears in slightly and contaminates the oil, making it dirtier (?) than under normal wear when the diffs have fully run in.

its similar to running in a real engine ... say like a twin turbo charged rx7 with a fresh rotary build... the first 500 and 1,000 miles are crucial for oil changes...

I would replace the fluid now for all diffs, then you can wait 2-3 more race times if its really a chore

I wouldnt bother with grease on the center diff... just make sure you get the gear mesh set properly. Try to see if you can get it quiet, without getting too far out .. or in. as in not too much backlash or tightness.

heres a pic of my FD

_
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 811E Buggy Thread-100_1668.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default got hand grips?!

http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-HH.../dp/B0040XNOUG

use these for a couple weeks and you'll feel like Rambo when changing your diffs!

and your girlfriend wont mind either!!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Vortexted
I have a question, do you guys put the lube on the center diff gear and pinion since they are metal gears meshing together? I did for my front and rear transmission but not the center as the manual did not show to.

I'm thinking it would be dust magnet.

Also is it necessary to change the diff fluids after a few race days of breaking it in? I'm not in the mood to change it so hopefully I can get away with it for a while.
I use graphite spray it stays on everything stays super quite you can buy at home depot also use on the coupler cups for the axles it keep the dirt away some use a tad of grease but that attracts dirt and requires more maintenance
Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Tech Regular

Ok thanks guys. Well I decided to tear into the center diff to take a look and seal them up anyway since it was leaking just a little. The front and rear don't leak at all. yeah it was a bit dirty, and the fluid was a little low. put some RTV on the orings and some bearing grease on the outdrives shaft. Although now I read some ppl are using Mobil synthetic oil instead. I'll buy that next time instead of the high temp RTV.

It was a good thing I looked into it. My pinion gear had come loose and moved down the motor shaft and was grinding into the metal motor mount. OUCH! I think I forgot to clean the pinion grub screw with motor spray when I installed and sure enough the blue loctite came loose.
I knew this car was making a lot of gear noise and felt like it was dragging that last day at the track. Now I know why.

ARRRGgghhh...I really don't want to tear into the front and rear diffs but I see your point about changing the oil after break in. I guess I'll just give a race night tomorrow and wrench.
I have 3 cars that need diff work

graphite spray, I've never heard of this. This must be it.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

A dry lubricant, then I could just use this Trak Power dry lube
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Lubricant-4oz

Last edited by Vortexted; 03-22-2012 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

atl darrick- pm sent
Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

i went outdoor testing today and my car was really good could use a lil shock work but it super smooth and good
Old 03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Vortexted
I knew this car was making a lot of gear noise and felt like it was dragging that last day at the track. Now I know why.
Having been a nitro guy for the last 10 years, Im a little "worried" about running electric again. I'm used to the issues of tuning engines, glow plugs, fuel line, clutches and so on...

But all this about pinions/spurs ... plastic vs metal... it all seems so fragile and Im beginning to think that there may be just as much "setup" time and "maintenance" time with these electric buggy's as with nitro.... maybe almost ... heh.

I got my groove with nitro, know all the things to look for, and what wears and I replace it before its an issue. In a 20 or 30 min main, if something breaks after 20 mins of hard racing, Im like "well, it _was_ 20 mins!!"

I just HATE not knowing whats going to be an issue... I still have radio and batteries to think about what setup will work best for me. Never owned any Lipos, and I see elec shit in the trash at my local track all the time.

Guess Im gonna be going back to Newbie Skool soon
Old 03-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Hey porkChop.. whats your pinion/spur setup? What do you do for maintenance and how often do you replace them, i.e. how many races/packs do they last.

Whats your technique for setting the gear mesh, just a thin piece of paper or something else like card stock of some kind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.