Serpent 811E Buggy Thread

Like Tree3Likes

Serpent 811E Buggy Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chad Millikan
What is binding.
1. Is there any back lash in the front ring and pinion, take off the front camber link on the tower and let the drive shafts come out of the outdrives and see if there is still binding.

2. you could take off the center drive shaft before and check for binding ( while it's mounted to the chassis.

3. Take off center diff and mint the front clip, see if there is binding

4. Spin the front axles while the driveshafts are out of the diff out drives.
The front diff spins freely up to the point that it is mounted to the chassis. It starts to bind once the bottom front screws (holds front bumper) are tightened. The back bottom front screws still allow to spin freely. This is why I think it's a tweaked chassis up near the front end.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

That's really weird. The diff case is screwed together before its on the chassis.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

That's really weird. The diff case is screwed together before its on the chassis.
It is weird. I can't screw the diff case underneath socket head screws all the way in either. It starts to bind then also. Could it be the avid bearings I used? Maybe they are slightly off in size causing the binding? I have it put together with slight binding in the front diff. The rear diff spins freely. The binding up front happens about 1/4 to 3/8 of a full rotation. The rest of the rotation is free spinning. I've given up on figuring it out and this chassis. I'm gonna run it for a couple of months until I get the money for a new up to date chassis.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

So the diff case won't touch together when you tighten the cap head screws. I've used avid without a problem before. So you still have the stock bearings, try that.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Take a shim out of the ring side and put it on the non ring side of the diff to loosen the gear mesh.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Take a shim out of the ring side and put it on the non ring side of the diff to loosen the gear mesh.
Im just gonna leave it the way it is. It should work for the rest of the racing season this year. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Chad Millikan likes this.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't beat me with you e-sticks, I know this is frowned upon and the thread is old/dead, anyone still have their 811e laying around they'd like to get rid of? Took mine down to SHARC in Alabama this past weekend and I've got the buggy itch again. I know these are old but I don't see any reason to not race what I've got. Tires aside my setup was pretty solid and the buggy performed flawlessly. Just looking to hoard up a few of these before they're impossible to find.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:50 PM
Tech Rookie

yes, I have one with some spare parts that I'm willing to part with
TheBeave likes this.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edmccoy01
yes, I have one with some spare parts that I'm willing to part with
Sent pm
Old 07-15-2023, 03:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Anyone got one they're willing to part with?

Sorry - I see someone tried this a couple of years ago but I'm in the same boat - been out of the hobby since kids came along, now the eldest is old enough to drive and the car still runs great...but no parts available! I even had a bearing retainer part 3D printed 😆
It seems a shame to just hang it up?
Old 07-15-2023, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

looks like some parts are still available on ebay. Serpent America also has loads of parts in stock.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tray9000
Sorry - I see someone tried this a couple of years ago but I'm in the same boat - been out of the hobby since kids came along, now the eldest is old enough to drive and the car still runs great...but no parts available! I even had a bearing retainer part 3D printed 😆
It seems a shame to just hang it up?
I sold my S811be 2.1 to thos guy a few years ago with a pretty good supply of parts, not sure if he still has it, but worth messaging.