Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serpent 811E Buggy Thread >

Serpent 811E Buggy Thread

Like Tree3Likes

Serpent 811E Buggy Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ok I found the culprit of my steering problems. The 2 plastic shims on each side in the hub carriers to reduce play were to thick. I sanded them down some and now everything is flowing freely as it should

BTW, what does the servo saver spring do? It has that adjustment on there, what is it for?

Last edited by Vortexted; 03-06-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
Did you notice any peformace difference or is it more bling
No increase in performance. Just makes it easier to change and looks cool .
Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chad Millikan
The tolerences on serpents are like no other. On my first gen. Nitro buggy no matter how far I backed out the Ackerman screw it was tight, so I wet sanded the shoulder till it was free
Definitely need to polish the part of the screw where it runs on the bushing in the ackerman plate. Then grease it up good to keep it moving smoothly, the grease also helps keep the screw from backing out.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Regular

Well mine was a 2 part problem. After I sanded the plastic washers in the carriers it was smooth until I put the ackerman back on, then it was stiff again.
Broke out the dremel and sanded the shoulder on the post and finally its all smooth.
Really disappointing.. that was a waste of about 4 hours
I appreciate tight tolerances but that was overkill on my kit.
I will throw some grease in on that screw as well and see if that helps even more.

Last edited by Vortexted; 03-07-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Tech Regular

Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Has anyone had problems with the steering rack .I see they have a aluminum one .before I start the build id like to upgrade what i can ..
Also has anyone put all the ti upgrades on and seen how much weight loss from stock ?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

i only run one washer in my steering to move it up or down i put on the bottom or top i try and take pics today

the stock steering rack is alum

now the screws toss them. get you a 3mm counter sunk washer a screw to drop thought the washer rack plastic the screw goes in and put a nut on the bottom
Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Hello Porkchop, yes please post a pic because I don't understand what your talking about.

Is there an aluminum front chassis brace for the 811E?

the only one I see is for the 811.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Chassis-Brace

I've cracked 2 different pieces trying to push those "ball-screws" into the steering lever and a ball joint. I use needle nose pliers to do it. Is there an easier way?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Default Transponder under the radio tray

I remember reading early on this thread about some ppl having problems with the transponder under the tray. I mounted mine with the numbers up. Will this work or did everyone abandon the under the tray mount? Certainly a very cool concept if it works.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have a MyLaps transponder and I Shoo Gooed it under the radio tray. Have only raced it one weekend at an indoor race but it worked just fine.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silvalis
Anyone running an Orion R8Pro?
Can you show me how you managed to fit it in?

hmm... just found porkchops. tight. I can barely get it to fit like that...
My R8 Pro is rotated 180 degrees compared to Porkchop's setup. This keeps the motor wires toward the inside. To accomplish this I did have to ream a hole in the radio tray and feed the sensor wire through it. I think both installs work just fine.

-Kane
Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kane-o
My R8 Pro is rotated 180 degrees compared to Porkchop's setup. This keeps the motor wires toward the inside. To accomplish this I did have to ream a hole in the radio tray and feed the sensor wire through it. I think both installs work just fine.

-Kane
I went with porkchops orientation. Not sure if it's such a good idea, as the sensor wire is on the outside and could possibly sever if it gets clobbered from that side. Was thinking it was easier to replace a sensor cable than the rx cable.

Also burrowed a hole in the side of the radio tray to clear the sensor cable grommet and stop it pushing the esc outwards.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vortexted
Hello Porkchop, yes please post a pic because I don't understand what your talking about.

Is there an aluminum front chassis brace for the 811E?

the only one I see is for the 811.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Chassis-Brace

I've cracked 2 different pieces trying to push those "ball-screws" into the steering lever and a ball joint. I use needle nose pliers to do it. Is there an easier way?
lay ball on table press link to ball then take 5.5mm nut driver and push down no more cracks

Originally Posted by silvalis
I went with porkchops orientation. Not sure if it's such a good idea, as the sensor wire is on the outside and could possibly sever if it gets clobbered from that side. Was thinking it was easier to replace a sensor cable than the rx cable.

Also burrowed a hole in the side of the radio tray to clear the sensor cable grommet and stop it pushing the esc outwards.
my sensor wire has been just fine. i slowly bend the wire up and it flat againt the case and then a zip tie it to the 3 wires.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Tech Rookie

hi, im a new cobra pilot looking for more off power steering from the front of the car.
it finishes the corner great .
but doesn't turn in as hard as i would like.
im racing on wet to drying high bite indoor clay/soil mix.
i have tried all the tires the leading racers use .
with the same results.
if i have to get steering from the rear of the car .
i will .(but would prefer not to ).

thanks for any help/advice.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tool help

Thanks Porkchop, good idea.

Hey guys, just ran into a small problem. These shocks are much bigger then what I'm used to and I don't have the right tool. I'm assuming I need an open end box wrench to hold the shock body in place while screwing the other components in? What size?

My Losi SCTE kit came with a real nice shock bottom wrench for holding the shock in place while wrenching and not scratching the schock.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Tool-Set-Ten-T

Anyone know of one for these 811 schocks?

Last edited by Vortexted; 03-07-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.