Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mugen Eco or Losi 8 2.0 w/ elec conversion? >

Mugen Eco or Losi 8 2.0 w/ elec conversion?

Mugen Eco or Losi 8 2.0 w/ elec conversion?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Mugen Eco or Losi 8 2.0 w/ elec conversion?

Looking at getting the Mugen ECO buggy but at my LHS they are hard to get in know with all that is going on in Japan.... so the LHS owner gave me another option........ a nitro version of the Losi 8 2.0 on the shelf and he would swap out the nitro stuff and give me the Losi electric conversion kit in exchange (i assume with the kit it will be like getting the 8E???).. So a bit more work but I will spend about the same and I can go racing now or wait for the Mugen.... Oh and the LHS owner races a Losi 8 2.0 with the same conversion kit on it and that was why he suggested it. He did say that the Eco is long arm susp and the Losi is a Short arm........ the Losi will turn better or quicker but the Mugen will be more forgiveing. What do you guys think?
Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Losi=win
My choice is what my lhs stocks it sucks to wait for parts unless your gonna keep a stock of mugen parts
And yes 8 nitro+conversion=8e
Good luck!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by surby View Post
Losi=win
My choice is what my lhs stocks it sucks to wait for parts unless your gonna keep a stock of mugen parts
And yes 8 nitro+conversion=8e
Good luck!
Thanks I was wondering about the conversion if it basicly turns the 8 2.0 into the 8E 2.0? My LHS stocks parts for both they have one of the bigger off road tracks on the East coast alot of AE,Losi and Mugen racers. But the handleing may be diff as the Losi has a short arm and the ECO has a long arm susp.... I just race SCT now and am moving up to E buggy...... The ECO looks like a nice piece and some racers already run them and love them. But my LHS owner says the newest and greatest is'nt always the way to go the Losi has had a great rep....... I have drvn a fellow racers ECO aroung the track and that was smooth almost glided around, so I may try my LHS's Losi 8 and see how I like that .

Last edited by formula87; 05-26-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Out of those 2 options; Mugen
Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Mugen Eco hands down , go on the Eco thread , I think member dlewis has a few eco's for sale brand new at a great price. The Eco will be better in everyway over the losi.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by formula87 View Post
Thanks I was wondering about the conversion if it basicly turns the 8 2.0 into the 8E 2.0? My LHS stocks parts for both they have one of the bigger off road tracks on the East coast alot of AE,Losi and Mugen racers. But the handleing may be diff as the Losi has a short arm and the ECO has a long arm susp.... I just race SCT now and am moving up to E buggy...... The ECO looks like a nice piece and some racers already run them and love them. But my LHS owner says the newest and greatest is'nt always the way to go the Losi has had a great rep....... I have drvn a fellow racers ECO aroung the track and that was smooth almost glided around, so I may try my LHS's Losi 8 and see how I like that .
You can't go wrong with the Losi. It's a top of the line buggy. The Mugen might be better, but not so much that you can't compete well with the 8ight. I believe it's a ground up e-buggy design, while the Losi is a Nitro converted to electric. If it comes down to easy access to parts at the LHS, then just go with the Losi. If you can swing the extra $$, I would just go with the Tekno conversion and skip the Losi conversion entirely. The Tekno kit puts you even closer to the Mugen in performance.
Either way, both are elite race buggies, so it's a win win situation.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by formula87 View Post
....... I have drvn a fellow racers ECO aroung the track and that was smooth almost glided around, so I may try my LHS's Losi 8 and see how I like that .
Before you buy one, if you have the chance, drive both. One may suit your personal driving style and likes better than the other. I own a Mugen ECO and Vorza. I was comfortable with the Vorza so I decided to upgrade to the ECO. The ECO, as you mention, seems to glide around the track. It jumps better and soaks up the rough sections way better. But somehow I seem to be able to turn quicker, more consistant laps with the Vorza? I am 99% sure that it is mostly set-up issues. I am working on the ECO set-up to fit me better. I probably, well I know I don't, drive as well as 90% of the people in the hobby. The other thing is what brand will you have the most set-up help with at the track? If you like to run "what everyone else is running" set-up wise, then go with the brand they run. But keep in mind, that set-up may not work best for you.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I have driven both. I started with a Tekno V3 Losi. It was a great buggy, but handling wise it was not quite what I wanted. It didn't turn quite enough and was bouncy over the rough sections. I just moved to the Mugen ECO and I really like it. I am not a top driver, but my lap times are already better than they were with the Losi and I still need to do more tuning on the Mugen. It turns on a dime and is very smooth.

The Losi was a tank and never broke, but I haven't broken anything on my Mugen either in 2 race days.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

thanks for all the replies.... I am still thinking the Mugen but if my LHS can get me the Losi for cheaper I may go with that. And the LHS owner is letting me get a few laps in with his so I will see.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

reminds me of the saying..."if you think it is expensive, buy cheaper and you will see just what expensive is".
Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Both are very good kits, but hands down the mugen is better, the drivetrain alone makes it a much better for u if u are worried about cost, I raced my v3 conversion for a full session and never replaced anything accept a few front lower arms that was because of my fault.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PorTX View Post
reminds me of the saying..."if you think it is expensive, buy cheaper and you will see just what expensive is".
+1
Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default eco

Out of the two I would go with the eco. I've had a losi (which I liked), and I have an rc8b tekno v4 now that I like more. But I really always wished I had the mugen to start with it just gets rave reviews. People say this or that is better, but if you look at the mugen it rarely ever gets any negative feedback.

On another note and not to hijack the thread but the other car that I've always wondered about is the kyosho? Its pretty expensive but I hear the quality is top.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

you really cant go wrong with either when it comes down to a losi or a mugen. I have the mugen eco and i love it. I would personally go with which ever one you can get cheaper. both buggies are fast, durable and of high quality.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Like others have said- either will be good buggies. I have the Eco and love it, but it was between the Losi and Mugen for me. Couple things to consider- 1) do you have a lhs that stocks parts for either? 2) what are the fast drivers running at the tracks that you visit? The latter could be a deciding factor for me if you know one of them well and they can and are willing to help with set-ups.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.